No announcement yet.

Lefty eye dominate but right handed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same here left eye dominated, shoot right handed bows over 30 years no issues both eyes open.

Comment

I'm right handed and left eye dominant.

Grew up shooting shotguns and deer rifles left handed so I did the same with the bow.

Think about it, it's an advantage to hold the bow and point to the target with your dominant hand (right) and then line up the shot with your dominant eye (left).

Comment

For adults, I do not recommend going with the off hand when shooting. The body needs to be in tune with the mind. She would be best off shooting with a blinder on a cap or wear glasses with the left eye piece taped.

It's about harmony.

Comment

I write and draw left handed, throw and kick right. Can't write right handed and can't throw left. I shoot right handed and am left eye dominate but learned to close my left eye, I have to squint to get it to close but it does feel natural to do so now! GL

Comment

Let me add. If she was shooting a traditional bow w/out sights, left handed is the way to go. Same with a shotgun. That way she's not 'fighting' the natural tendency of her brain to sight from the dominant eye. Shooting a compound or a rifle, since you normally close the left eye, it's not as big a deal. If she picks up a left handed bow and can shoot it, I'd go left handed.

My son is right handed, right eye dominant. When he took his first swing in our back yard learning how to hit a T ball 30+ years ago, he asked "which side of the plate do I stand?" I told him on the 1st base side since he's already 1-2 steps closer to first base. To this day he does everything right handed, except hit a ball with a bat- still a lefty there. Once your brain gets used to it, and the muscle memory develops, it remains.

Comment

I teach NASP in my PE class. I usually have my cross dominant kids try shooting whatever their dominant eye is when I begin teaching them. I eventually let them try the other handed bow and most always want to stick with their dominant eye. It's crazy how many cross dominant kids I have. Almost all of the cross dominant kids are right handed and left eyed.

Comment

I can shoot with both hands and eyes. I too am right handed and left eyed. I started with a left hand rifle as skid. The best thing is for her to shoot left handed. The downside is if you are looking to upgrade without the new bow price there is less lefty bows available. I am shoot traditional bows either hand but am better shooting with my dominant eye. The other option is get her a patch to cover the dominant eye and she will get used to it. Most importantly is her comfort and that she is having fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X