Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-29-2019, 08:57 AM   #51
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
We don't care how good he is in 3-4 years, the time is now, all they need to do is extend him and make it a 4 year deal, he is cheap compared to what Dak is going to get, and not too many feel Dak can succeed without Zeke.
He's under contract for 2 years...that includes NOW!

He needs to get his *** to work!

What kind of salary are you proposing for the next 4 yrs?
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2019, 09:10 AM   #52
ATI
Ten Point

Hunt In: TEXAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post

Exactly....

like I said, F Zeke....
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2019, 09:39 AM   #53
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:

These are guesses, he is making around 8M this year, 11M next year, first franchise tag 14m, second franchise tag 16M, that is 49M to keep him for 4 years, so somewhere in that ball park.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2019, 09:46 AM   #54
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default 2019 Dallas Cowboys season thread....

Quote:
These are guesses, he is making around 8M this year, 11M next year, first franchise tag 14m, second franchise tag 16M, that is 49M to keep him for 4 years, so somewhere in that ball park.

You are guessing? How can you make an argument or decision when you donít even know the numbers?

Heís making 3.8 mill base this year and 9 million next year ... signing bonuses are already spent money. you are already 8 million higher in your first two seasons. Zeke wants $15 mil per and most of it guaranteed.

Last edited by Smart; 07-29-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2019, 09:51 AM   #55
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
I was under the impression he was wanting 5 years and closer to 14 per. 4 for 46 with some incentives....I'm in, not sure he takes that though. A bunch of non-guaranteed money on the back may work too...since he doesn't seem very bright.

It just burns my *** that a "professional" can't show up to work...
Old 07-29-2019, 09:58 AM   #56
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
You are guessing? How can you make an argument or decision when you donít even know the numbers?

Heís making 3.8 mill base this year and 9 million next year ... signing bonuses are already spent money. you are already 8 million higher in your first two seasons. Zeke wants $15 mil per and most of it guaranteed.
Bonus or not it is still considered salary, i.e. if the Cowboys were to give him 12 M a year for 4 years they would owe him the difference for this year and next year, which would be around 5-6M. I could be wrong but I do not think so.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:59 AM   #57
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
I was under the impression he was wanting 5 years and closer to 14 per. 4 for 46 with some incentives....I'm in, not sure he takes that though. A bunch of non-guaranteed money on the back may work too...since he doesn't seem very bright.

It just burns my *** that a "professional" can't show up to work...
I am with you on the showing up part, they could be getting a deal done at camp like they have done for so many players.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:22 AM   #58
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

I wouldnt so much as email his agent while heís holding out. Get Dak done, get Cooper done, get Smith and Jones done....let that ***** watch the pie get smaller. Iíll be ****ed if Iíd negotiate a new contract for him if he wonít honor the one heís got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2019, 10:34 AM   #59
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Bonus or not it is still considered salary, i.e. if the Cowboys were to give him 12 M a year for 4 years they would owe him the difference for this year and next year, which would be around 5-6M. I could be wrong but I do not think so.

Of course it is still considered salary on the Cowboys' cap books, but he got that money when he signed in year one and its amortized over the life of the contract. The only thing that bonus does now is register as a cap hit. I doubt Zeke is considering that in his "underpaid salary" thoughts right now even though the Cowboys have to. It depends on the negotiation. If he signs a new deal Zeke and his agent can request that they take a bigger hit so he can get more money now. And they will probably frontload a new contract because he is a running back....
Old 07-29-2019, 10:54 AM   #60
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Of course it is still considered salary on the Cowboys' cap books, but he got that money when he signed in year one and its amortized over the life of the contract. The only thing that bonus does now is register as a cap hit. I doubt Zeke is considering that in his "underpaid salary" thoughts right now even though the Cowboys have to. It depends on the negotiation. If he signs a new deal Zeke and his agent can request that they take a bigger hit so he can get more money now. And they will probably frontload a new contract because he is a running back....
He has an 8m cap number this year and an 11M next year, that is his salary, he was paid in advance, if they redo his contract those numbers will be used.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #61
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
He has an 8m cap number this year and an 11M next year, that is his salary, he was paid in advance, if they redo his contract those numbers will be used.
They will be irrelevant if they redo another contract. The unmortized bonus will count toward the cap.....but there will be a whole other set of numbers....especially if they frontload it...

In his mind he's thinking I'm not taking a beating for 3.6 and 9.1 million....to be tossed away at a later date. Every run is more depreciation. He's wanting guaranteed money as an insurance policy against them using him up an throwing him away..

Last edited by Smart; 07-29-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:30 AM   #62
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
They will be irrelevant if they redo another contract. The unmortized bonus will count toward the cap.....but there will be a whole other set of numbers....especially if they frontload it...

In his mind he's thinking I'm not taking a beating for 3.6 and 9.1 million....to be tossed away at a later date. Every run is more depreciation. He's wanting guaranteed money as an insurance policy against them using him up an throwing him away..
That may be in his mind but not the Cowboys, he has been paid in advance, they are not just going to tear up the existing contract without accounting for the bonus that he has been paid, if they did that his cap hit would almost double, not happening. So his cap hit is 8M this year, if they pay him 14 M a year then his cap hit would be 22M this year, maybe I do not understand the system but I feel quite confident the money he was guaranteed ( bonus ) will come out of his new deal.Either way I bet they will get something worked out, I do know this, I would rather them pay Zeke than Byron Jones, Dak is screwed without Zeke.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:36 AM   #63
ATI
Ten Point

The Cowboys have the leverage.
Zeke will either suck it up and show up to work, or, sit out and be franchise tagged or walk..... or,,,,, get arrested for smacking someone or grabbing a butt or two while intoxicated during off-season and be suspended,,, again.....

He's talented, no doubt, but he's not all there upstairs.

Last edited by ATI; 07-29-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:37 AM   #64
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
That may be in his mind but not the Cowboys, he has been paid in advance, they are not just going to tear up the existing contract without accounting for the bonus that he has been paid, if they did that his cap hit would almost double, not happening. So his cap hit is 8M this year, if they pay him 14 M a year then his cap hit would be 22M this year, maybe I do not understand the system but I feel quite confident the money he was guaranteed ( bonus ) will come out of his new deal.Either way I bet they will get something worked out, I do know this, I would rather them pay Zeke than Byron Jones, Dak is screwed without Zeke.

Uncle Uncle..
Old 07-29-2019, 12:19 PM   #65
Hoss163
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Send zeke to the browns see how good he does. O wait I forgot they are super bowl contenders this year

Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2019, 12:19 PM   #66
ATI
Ten Point

Latest news on Zeke...

He's headed to Cabo and (NOT Oxnard)
Old 07-29-2019, 12:57 PM   #67
ttechdallas
Eight Point

Hunt In: Coleman, OK

Folks can bash Zeke all they want for doing this but most NFL analysts suggest he is justified because he has zero leverage after this season.

1st round picks have a 5th year option built into their rookie contracts which is solely at the discretion of the team to exercise. The Cowboys have - which means they have him locked up for 5 years. Then they can franchise him in years 6 & 7, meaning that he doesn't get his shot at a big payday until he is 28 or 29. And if he is injured in year 6 or 7, it is over.

For his first 3 years, he has been the most productive back in the NFL playing under a rookie contract. When you look at what the Cowboys did with Murray, which was to basically run him into the ground, then decide he was too used up to sign him to even market value, its easy to understand where Zeke is coming from.

Aaron Donald, Khalil Mack, L'aveon Bell, Todd Gurley, Zack Martin and a host of all pro performing 1st round picks have orchestrated the same thing for the same reason - some held out, some got their deals renegotiated.

RB's are especially at risk though because more teams are employing the same philosophy of not signing RB's to guaranteed contracts that will take them past 29-30 years of age.

It's just business. I hope the Cowboys get him signed soon.
ttechdallas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2019, 07:37 PM   #68
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.

Any buyers on another H.Walker type of trade?

Could shore up the team for another long term of dominance and contending.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2019, 07:38 PM   #69
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Yíall execute me if you want but I wouldnít be ****** if they traded Zeke. What for exactly that someone would offer up Iím not sure but $15 mil a year on a RB in todayís game sounds outrageous to me even by pro sports standards.

txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2019, 08:20 PM   #70
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Yíall execute me if you want but I wouldnít be ****** if they traded Zeke. What for exactly that someone would offer up Iím not sure but $15 mil a year on a RB in todayís game sounds outrageous to me even by pro sports standards.

If you have a middle of the road QB it is a great idea to have the best running back in the NFL along with a top offensive line, just remember what the Seattle did, Cowboys are very close to having the same type of team, bad arse defense with a bad arse back and a QB that can make things happen with his legs.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:33 PM   #71
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Quote:
If you have a middle of the road QB it is a great idea to have the best running back in the NFL along with a top offensive line, just remember what the Seattle did, Cowboys are very close to having the same type of team, bad arse defense with a bad arse back and a QB that can make things happen with his legs.

Better hope we have a badarse offensive coordinator.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:41 PM   #72
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Better hope we have a badarse offensive coordinator.

I think he will be fine, Garrett has a pretty **** good offensive mind to begin with, he will have his hands all over the play calling.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:42 PM   #73
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Cowboys just signed Alfred Morris. Whatever else he gets, Zeke is gonna get a lesson in negotiating from the master.

Jerry donít play.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 07-29-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:43 PM   #74
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

I'm not totally against it either if the price is right.....and I'm a big Zeke fan. Look what Herschel Walker brought
Old 07-29-2019, 08:53 PM   #75
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion, Webb, counties

I know I’m late to the party and it may have been covered but I saw on the news that Jason Witten is back with the Cowboys. Saw him running routes in training camp.
Mertzon Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2019, 09:04 PM   #76
Smart
Pope & Young

Talk is Dak is a different QB than he has been with his accuracy on the deeper balls due to Kitna. Its been all over twitter and the NFL network training camp live shows. Dak might be more than a middle of the road QB if he has that deep ball accuracy up like folks are saying....and yes its offseason sunshine pumping but it could be a true. Several videos show him throwing dimes.

Speaking of more offseason sunshine pumping....Hoping Kellen Moore and Garret (who had plenty of chances with Romo) will make a huge difference. I hope that's the case but we just don't have that kind of luck.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:07 PM   #77
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertzon Man View Post
I know I’m late to the party and it may have been covered but I saw on the news that Jason Witten is back with the Cowboys. Saw him running routes in training camp.

A little Mr. Ellis lol. Witten announced he was coming out of retirement in Feb..
Old 07-29-2019, 09:10 PM   #78
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Talk is Dak is a different QB than he has been with his accuracy on the deeper balls due to Kitna. Its been all over twitter and the NFL network training camp live shows. Dak might be more than a middle of the road QB if he has that deep ball accuracy up like folks are saying....and yes its offseason sunshine pumping but it could be a true. Several videos show him throwing dimes.

Speaking of more offseason sunshine pumping....Hoping Kellen Moore and Garret (who had plenty of chances with Romo) will make a huge difference. I hope that's the case but we just don't have that kind of luck.
I read the same thing about Dak, hope it is true, they still need Zeke to make any noise.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:11 PM   #79
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Lol, I can’t stop laughing!
Old 07-29-2019, 09:13 PM   #80
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Quote:
I know Iím late to the party and it may have been covered but I saw on the news that Jason Witten is back with the Cowboys. Saw him running routes in training camp.

Lee also surrendered at Appomattox.

MBV77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2019, 09:15 PM   #81
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBV77 View Post
Lee also surrendered at Appomattox.

Aswald did it!
Old 07-29-2019, 09:16 PM   #82
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Lol, I canít stop laughing!

Hahahaha....he is a much skinnier dude too now. Hopefully he's more fluid. I read yesterday that Jarwin looks good so its gonna be a battle. Will be interesting to see just how many plays Witten gets per game if Jarwin is playing well..
Old 07-29-2019, 09:26 PM   #83
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Jerry donít have too many more chances at a Super Bowl. He will pay Zeke plenty.

Go Cowboys!
Skinny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2019, 09:36 PM   #84
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
Jerry donít have too many more chances at a Super Bowl. He will pay Zeke plenty.

Go Cowboys!

Yup....but hopefully not 5 years worth...or Stephen is gonna be cussing him in his grave
Old 07-29-2019, 09:53 PM   #85
Runnin4D
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttechdallas View Post
I read this too and was surprised. Then I read/heard several NFL analysts totally shoot it down as there are far too many variables can't be factored in a statistical analysis. Play calling was singled out as a major flaw as Zeke was graded down significantly based on red zone carries. Linehan had a preference for passing in the red zone and the Cowboys red zone performance was less than stellar.

Zeke is a stud and easily the best offensive player on this team. He was the leading rusher in the NFL by 200+ yards and he didn't even play the final game of the season. He also did this behind and offensive line that gave up the 2nd most sacks in the NFL last season. I hope they pay the man.
Ya because the defense gets sacks when the RB gets the ball...
Runnin4D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2019, 10:46 PM   #86
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

Quote:
Garrett has a pretty **** good offensive mind
He's been keeping it under wraps then.
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2019, 10:47 PM   #87
ttechdallas
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin4D View Post
Ya because the defense gets sacks when the RB gets the ball...
You're missing the whole point. Cowboys O-line play on both run and pass have not been good the past 2 years. Contrast with those suggesting O-line deserved credit for Zeke's #'s, not Zeke.

Signing Alfred Morris is not sending any message to Zeke. He wouldn't be the starter if Zeke never showed up and everyone knows it.

Late reports are that negotiations are friendly and expected to end while Cowboys are in Oxnard. That Cabo is same time zone as Oxnard so he can train and if/when deal is done, join camp.

So many story lines out there. I'm hoping this one is accurate. Go Boys. Go Zeke.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:05 PM   #88
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Cowboys add Alfred Morris

Old 07-29-2019, 11:09 PM   #89
Tom
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocky Mountains, Africa

Quote:

I believe this. Dak works hard and you know he worked hard all off season. that is his best attribute and above anything else he is hard to hurt. Big strong and fast and hard to hurt....I like it.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2019, 11:35 PM   #90
Smart
Pope & Young

The new 3...

Old 07-30-2019, 04:20 AM   #91
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Afred Morris hasn’t had a 1000 yard season since 2014 and hasn’t played a whole season since 2015. He had a killer rookie year with the skins in 2012 but has steadily declined since. Hard to picture him do anything close what zeke does for the cowboys.

Trading zeke is the best chance at replacing him. yes most talking heads say zeke is right to sit. On the other hand most say that 15m/yr is crazy too. Jerry has been in his corner since the beginning....and the drama started in the beginning. He has been paid pretty good too. Zeke is handling this poorly like he has so many other off Field issues. Doesn’t he owe the team a little more respect? He should be in camp paid or not. If he was I’m sure Jerry would be quicker to break out the check book.

Even if Dak has made strides in the passing game having an explosive 3 down back only helps. The window is open NOW in Dallas. Gonna be interesting seeing how this plays out either way.

Last edited by Jcjohnson; 07-30-2019 at 05:11 AM.
Jcjohnson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 06:16 AM   #92
GA Bowhunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Tree/blind/ground

Zeke 2018.

The top 10 back in number of carries:

#1 in carries Zeke
#1 in fumbles Zeke
#5/6 yards per carry Zeke(tied with Chris Carson)
#9 in touchdowns Zeke

Zeke was #21 overall in yards per carry.
Zeke was #20-26 in rushing TD's(tied with 6 other players including Dak)

Why is Zeke special? Because Jerry hands him the ball a lot between the 20's.
You give any decent NFL back the ball 304 times and they will rack up a lot of yards.

I'll take a back that scores TD's in the redzone, closes out games, doesn't set the ball on the ground and acts like he has some sense when he if off work.
GA Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 06:54 AM   #93
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

A Back that can replace his production or carries isn’t on the roster right now.

Last edited by Jcjohnson; 07-30-2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:05 AM   #94
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

https://sports.yahoo.com/rush-cowboy...042416976.html.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:48 AM   #95
ttechdallas
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
Zeke 2018.

The top 10 back in number of carries:

#1 in carries Zeke
#1 in fumbles Zeke
#5/6 yards per carry Zeke(tied with Chris Carson)
#9 in touchdowns Zeke

Zeke was #21 overall in yards per carry.
Zeke was #20-26 in rushing TD's(tied with 6 other players including Dak)

Why is Zeke special? Because Jerry hands him the ball a lot between the 20's.
You give any decent NFL back the ball 304 times and they will rack up a lot of yards.

I'll take a back that scores TD's in the redzone, closes out games, doesn't set the ball on the ground and acts like he has some sense when he if off work.
Zeke doesn't call the plays and the Cowboys red zone play calling was predominately pass first under Linehan - one of the reasons he is gone.

I don't know how many times Zeke fumbled but I'm pretty sure he only had 1 fumble that was recovered by the opposing team - which is what counts.

All those carries between the 20's - who do you think was extending those drives and keeping the other team's offense off the field - incl 4th quarter?

Zeke is an elite RB who is also a workhorse - with the most touches of any RB since he entered the NFL. Plus, every team's makeup is different. I personally think anyone is crazy if they think this Cowboys team can contend for a SB this season or next without an elite RB. They don't have an elite QB - at least right now. Cooper is good but not elite - I'm not even sure he cracks the top 10 NFL receivers.

The market is what the market it is - that will determine what Zeke gets. Whether by the Cowboys or whoever else. If they are going to have to sign him to a 5 year deal, better this season at the age of 24.

I just want to see them win and hopefully get to the NFC championship game this season at a minimum. I hope both sides are reasonable and they get him signed.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:53 AM   #96
Hoss163
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Zeke will get his contract and then get hurt in About week 6 always happens seems like .

Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2019, 08:57 AM   #97
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Zeke doesn't call the plays and the Cowboys red zone play calling was predominately pass first under Linehan - one of the reasons he is gone.

I don't know how many times Zeke fumbled but I'm pretty sure he only had 1 fumble that was recovered by the opposing team - which is what counts.

All those carries between the 20's - who do you think was extending those drives and keeping the other team's offense off the field - incl 4th quarter?

Zeke is an elite RB who is also a workhorse - with the most touches of any RB since he entered the NFL. Plus, every team's makeup is different. I personally think anyone is crazy if they think this Cowboys team can contend for a SB this season or next without an elite RB. They don't have an elite QB - at least right now. Cooper is good but not elite - I'm not even sure he cracks the top 10 NFL receivers.

The market is what the market it is - that will determine what Zeke gets. Whether by the Cowboys or whoever else. If they are going to have to sign him to a 5 year deal, better this season at the age of 24.

I just want to see them win and hopefully get to the NFC championship game this season at a minimum. I hope both sides are reasonable and they get him signed.

Cooper is absolutely elite.

I think this offense would work just fine without Zeke as long as Moore isnít as awful as Garrett, and Garrett stays out of it.

Zeke or no Zeke, Iíd be drunkerín a peach orchard boar on blue koolaide...if I didnít keep remembering weíve got the 31st ranked coach in the nfl...

Last edited by Dale Moser; 07-30-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:03 AM   #98
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Cooper is good but not elite - I'm not even sure he cracks the top 10 NFL receivers.

Lotta NFL talking heads will argue that especially in his route running. Me I think Elite is one of the most over used words in football.

Quote:
I just want to see them win and hopefully get to the NFC championship game this season at a minimum. .
We all want this....but have spent years watching ****ty contracts hamstring this team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss163 View Post
Zeke will get his contract and then get hurt in About week 6 always happens seems like .
I've already had a year full of nutkicks in vehicle expenses, hospital bills and the Rangers.....I don't need another one..

Quote:
Cooper is absolutely elite.

I think this offense would work just fine without Zeke as long as Moore isn’t as awful as Garrett, and Garrett stays out of it.

He's **** sure an "elite" route runner. Now if the new Dak can get him the ball.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:23 AM   #99
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Quote:

Cooper is definitely an ďeliteĒ WR use whatever term you like.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #100
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Quote:
Cooper is definitely an ďeliteĒ WR use whatever term you like.

What ever he is he brings the same amount of value maybe more.