Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-14-2019, 08:52 PM   #151
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Donít know how. Especially on my phone.
Give me a second...
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2019, 08:55 PM   #152
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Rockyís garden production
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2019, 08:57 PM   #153
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Few more
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2019, 10:06 PM   #154
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Wow Rocky, that’s awesome!!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 04:50 AM   #155
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Been a long time since we had a Fall garden. What y'all thinking on planting? We may try this. Don't really know much about Fall gardening, but gonna read up on it some. My mom n dad used to plant 'taters n squash and lots of turnip greens and mustard.

Anyone else have anything else they like growing in the Fall? When to plant??

We're planting broccoli, cabbage, Brussel Sprouts, collard greens, beets, carrots and butter crunch lettuce. Pulling the last of the peppers and tomatoes today and amending soil with compost and chicken manure. Will start seeds in mini greenhouse early september for everything except root crops.
LlanoHunter10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #156
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Last of the Spring/Summer crops. Roma tomatoes, tobasco and banana peppers, okra and cacuzza squash. All plants pulled from beds this morning and will start amending soil in prep for fall garden.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2019, 11:26 AM   #157
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
We're planting broccoli, cabbage, Brussel Sprouts, collard greens, beets, carrots and butter crunch lettuce. Pulling the last of the peppers and tomatoes today and amending soil with compost and chicken manure. Will start seeds in mini greenhouse early september for everything except root crops.

Thanks for the feedback... Doc said I need high fiber and this list looks like a great start to that and all things I love to eat!
I plan to burn off the plot this evening if I get home in time and without rain. Will then begin to turn over the soil, add in all the chicken pen stuff we've been saving and water that all in real well if it doesn't rain...
Old 08-19-2019, 11:28 AM   #158
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Where do you folks get your plants/seeds for Fall gardens? Always used Wilhite for Spring garden... guess they'll have Fall stuff too for seeds, but what about squash and maybe broccoli n cauliflower plants?
Old 08-19-2019, 12:16 PM   #159
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

I get all my seeds from MIGardener or Baker Creek. MIGardener has great selection for only $0.99 a pack with excellent quality and germination results. Baker Creek is where I go if MI doesnt carry it.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #160
rocky
Pope & Young

Wilhite. Started my tomato seedlings 3 weeks ago. Might not matter if we don’t get a rain. I keep seeds to everything else in the fridge. They last several years.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #161
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Last of the Spring/Summer crops. Roma tomatoes, tobasco and banana peppers, okra and cacuzza squash. All plants pulled from beds this morning and will start amending soil in prep for fall garden.
Fellow cacuzza grower. Have 4 plants this year and so far have only gotten 3. Remember growing up my grandma made me and my sisters peel and slice almost 30/day. I have never been able to get yields even close to hers
Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #162
rocky
Pope & Young

Still picking 8-10 quarts of okra a day. Nothing to do with them except stick em in freezer bags and freeze to use in soups and gumbos later. I’ve given so much away to my neighbors that they’ve quit talking to me��
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #163
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Fellow cacuzza grower. Have 4 plants this year and so far have only gotten 3. Remember growing up my grandma made me and my sisters peel and slice almost 30/day. I have never been able to get yields even close to hers
Being from Italian origins my dad always grew tomatoes, figs and cacuzza every spring. I grew 3 cacuzza's and they did surprisingly well. This was my first year growing them and quickly figured out I need a larger trellis!
Old 08-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #164
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Never heard of cacuzza! Those are big suckers for sure. How do you prepare them? Are they like a normal squash?
Old 08-19-2019, 08:40 PM   #165
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Being from Italian origins my dad always grew tomatoes, figs and cacuzza every spring. I grew 3 cacuzza's and they did surprisingly well. This was my first year growing them and quickly figured out I need a larger trellis!
Yup...italians here as well. Those are the only 3 things my grandparents grew as well.
Cacuzza with stewed italian tomatoes, Figs soaked in sugar and tomatoes for sauce.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #166
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Quote:
Never heard of cacuzza! Those are big suckers for sure. How do you prepare them? Are they like a normal squash?
Remove skin of cacuzza like you would a cucumber. Split lengthwise and use spoon to remove seeds. After that I've always sliced them very thin and saute with onions, garlic and olive oil. Add tomato sauce and simmer for 2-3 hours (longer the better). Serve over pasta.

Other recipe is to stuff them with stuffing of your choice and bake em.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #167
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Amended northern bed with peat moss, cow manure and compost. Covered with tarp until ready to use in October. Will use this bed for carrots, beets, lettuce and onions.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2019, 11:49 AM   #168
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Remove skin of cacuzza like you would a cucumber. Split lengthwise and use spoon to remove seeds. After that I've always sliced them very thin and saute with onions, garlic and olive oil. Add tomato sauce and simmer for 2-3 hours (longer the better). Serve over pasta.

Other recipe is to stuff them with stuffing of your choice and bake em.

That sounds delicious! Wife gets those "spagetti" squash at the store or farmer's market and hulls them out, bakes in Lasagna fixin's in them and uses the squash for the pasta... One of our favorite quick dishes and easy to fix... Never tried growing them, but we're going to this Spring. Not sure if they would work for Fall, but plan to check into it.

Oh and that's a fine looking raised bed!!
Old 08-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #169
Man
Pope & Young

Tell yall what I am effing done with effing peppers. My wife makes me plant them every year. Jalepeno, bell, tai, poblano and tabasco.....and all she does is continue to buy them all from Krogers while ours rot on the plant or get moldy in the vegetable holder inside. This goes for my onions as well.

More room for tomatoes next year!! Light rant over
Old 08-21-2019, 01:34 PM   #170
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Tell yall what I am effing done with effing peppers. My wife makes me plant them every year. Jalepeno, bell, tai, poblano and tabasco.....and all she does is continue to buy them all from Krogers while ours rot on the plant or get moldy in the vegetable holder inside. This goes for my onions as well.

Blanch and freeze them. Use them for chili, soups, etc all winter.
eradicator is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #171
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Quote:

Ain't that the most annoying thing.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #172
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Still getting used to the houston growing seasons. My tomatoes took off like crazy, with all kinds of cherry tomatoes. Lots of foliage on the beefsteaks, but only one actually fruited. Peppers grew real slow but just took off with all the recent heat. Squash and watermelon haven't produced any female despite water and plenty of nutrients.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 03:07 PM   #173
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

I just pinched about a dozen suckers off of my tomato plants and put them in water. Should have roots in a week then I will move to peat pots and let grow.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 03:13 PM   #174
hog_down
Ten Point

Anyone have any tips on blackberry plants? I have 5, and need to put them in the ground. I also just received a mint plant from a buddy.
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 08:40 PM   #175
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Quote:

I hear you! I only plant stuff I know I will use. Stopped trying to plant other things she wanted over the same thing. Even though mine are organic and we know EXACTLY what goes into them.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:43 PM   #176
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooverfb View Post
Still getting used to the houston growing seasons. My tomatoes took off like crazy, with all kinds of cherry tomatoes. Lots of foliage on the beefsteaks, but only one actually fruited. Peppers grew real slow but just took off with all the recent heat. Squash and watermelon haven't produced any female despite water and plenty of nutrients.
I suggest using a shade cloth over your tomatoes to aid in fruit production. Alot of times (especially with the larger variety tomatoes) the flowers will fall off. It will do this with excess summer heat to help the plant survive the heat instead of giving additional energy to fruit production (from what I've heard anyway and it sounded good).
Old 08-21-2019, 08:44 PM   #177
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog_down View Post
Anyone have any tips on blackberry plants? I have 5, and need to put them in the ground. I also just received a mint plant from a buddy.
Don't let that mint hit the ground, it will take over the neighborhood
Old 08-23-2019, 07:22 AM   #178
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where invited

Going to amend the soil this morning and get things all ready. Iím hopeful to transplant this next weekend if all goes well.

Name:  IMG_5255.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  70.0 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brazos Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2019, 08:37 AM   #179
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

One hour into it and I have only amended a 7íx20í patch. My little Ryobi two stroke cultivator keeps getting wrapped up with roots from a neighboring pecan (neighbors tree).

Name:  IMG_5256.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  133.2 KB

Old 08-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #180
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Name:  IMG_5257.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  92.8 KB

Old 08-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #181
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Default 2019 Gardening thread

Well, as suspected all of my lettuces except one died. Itís just too hot still. Now I have an abundance of squash and zucchini plants because a good dozen popped up at will. Bush beans and sugar snaps are starting to look good with pole beans just starting to break the surface.

I believe next month we will buy a bunch of kale and spinach from the coop. Canít go all season without some greens!

Oh, I took grass and leaf clippings and spread them between the rows. After everything is settled and a few inches tall I will pull it up as mulch.

Michael

Last edited by Brazos Hunter; 08-30-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:00 PM   #182
eradicator
Pope & Young

Planted green beans yesterday. Got a little bit of lettuce, spinach, and carrots planted this morning in containers. It works out good so I can keep them in the shade a little until it cools down. Bunching onions started coming up the last couple of days. All of the peppers are going strong and can't keep up with production. Bout to dehydrate a bunch this weekend. And have a couple of watermelons on the vine that came up volunteer from last years crop. Come on fall!
Old 09-05-2019, 07:33 AM   #183
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

With it being so dry here in BCS daily watering is a must unfortunately.

Michael

Old 09-05-2019, 07:41 PM   #184
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Started seeds indoors today. Brocolli, Cabbage, Brussel sprouts, Kale and Collard Greens.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #185
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Finally got the plants in the ground yesterday before this front came our way. These are the same plants we started from seeds above. In this bed we have collards, brocolli and red Russian kale. We also direct sowed beets and lettuce
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #186
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

In our southern bed we have more broccoli, cabbage and brussel sprouts. This is my first year doing Brussels and I've heard they can be finicky. As with all brassicas we amended with lots of nitrogen.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #187
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

And finally we have a 10 gal bucket with Carrots seeds. We segregated the carrots as they dont require as much nutrients or nitrogen as our other fall crops do. Will update progress of all beds when progress is shown.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #188
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

That looks really good! I never got around to breaking ground for a Fall garden...
Maybe next year!
Old 10-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #189
Katch66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Your fall garden is looking good LH10. We just had our first mess of mustard and turnip greens for lunch today. Love me some fresh greens!
Katch66 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #190
Man
Pope & Young

Got mine all cleaned out and ready to be planted. I realized we do not eat a lot of lettuce and kale in this family...so going to pass on those this year. Probably focus on carrotts, collard greens and beets. Anybody else got any unusual/rare vegatables that do well in the winter that I can look into? (to try something new).
Old 10-11-2019, 04:00 PM   #191
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Quote:
That looks really good! I never got around to breaking ground for a Fall garden...
Maybe next year!
Still plenty of time for everything! Only reason I waited until I did was I just got back home from working offshore.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:08 PM   #192
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katch66 View Post
Your fall garden is looking good LH10. We just had our first mess of mustard and turnip greens for lunch today. Love me some fresh greens!
We had a huge bumper crop of tabasco peppers this year. We bottled them with vinegar and am REALLY looking forward to collards with the tabasco vinegar in them.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #193
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Got mine all cleaned out and ready to be planted. I realized we do not eat a lot of lettuce and kale in this family...so going to pass on those this year. Probably focus on carrotts, collard greens and beets. Anybody else got any unusual/rare vegatables that do well in the winter that I can look into? (to try something new).

Squash do well in a Fall garden... they mature quickly and aren't as susceptible to the vine bores in the Fall... They'll make until a killin' frost.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:40 PM   #194
TradAg02
Ten Point

Pic of our backyard from a second story window. As you can tell, we donít have much yard left. Also have an herb garden and a couple of cattle troughs that didnít show up in the pic.

Most of this will get pulled out Sunday. Fall seedlings are ready to go in the ground next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
TradAg02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2019, 08:36 AM   #195
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Old 11-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #196
scotty
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Encinal Texas, Hare, Texas

The freeze took out my okra and peppers , but the broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, and romaine lettuce are looking good.
The asparagus has almost filled in the entire bed.
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 04:44 PM   #197
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Garden update...
Collard greens, kale, brussel sprouts, cabbage and the first broccoli crown of the season!
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2019, 05:03 PM   #198
webstertroy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: On a river

Wanting to start a garden this next year... Im really wanting to do potatoes and peppers and tips for fresh ground never tilled?
webstertroy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 08:54 PM   #199
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Till the garden with compost, chicken manure and an organic fertilizer. After planting, water with a tablespoon of fish fertilizer. This is strictly an organic route I'm describing and you can find all products at a reputable garden nursery
Old 12-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #200
webstertroy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: On a river

Quote:
Till the garden with compost, chicken manure and an organic fertilizer. After planting, water with a tablespoon of fish fertilizer. This is strictly an organic route I'm describing and you can find all products at a reputable garden nursery
I have a ton of chicken goat and horse manure lol
webstertroy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top