Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-29-2019, 05:53 PM   #51
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullydog View Post
Man that sucks Systemnt. but hes young.

My middle son who played select ball from 9-18 was an injury machine. Broken ankles (football/motocross), broke both arms same day when he was 13 (basketball). Dislocated throwing shoulder at 14 in a game. Broke finger and damaged growth plate at 16 in Football, (another surgery). Broken ribs catching in a showcase baseball game at 17, and a few more here and there........

All in all, injury made him stronger and fight harder to recover. And his senior year he was one of 8 "kids to watch" in Texas 2A Baseball.

"Copay"....er.... I mean Dillon is off in college now and doing fantastic.

Prayers for your sons quick healing bud.............

Wish all you select parents a great year, first time in a long long time were not playing 100+ baseball games a year. Sure gonna miss it..
Thanks and i literally laughed out loud at "copay".. that is freaking awesome.
Thanks for your story on your son and prayers

We head to get the MRI tomorrow so we'll have a better idea of his recovery and all that entails by friday.
Ive already made the decision that we are not rushing anything and if that means missing state and ws trips in june, so be it.
We'll continue to work on blocking and catcher drills SANS the throwing just to keep his chops up.. but only after getting cleared by the doc to so.

Last edited by systemnt; 01-29-2019 at 06:19 PM.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 11:02 PM   #52
Big Brass
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF

Looking for someplace still holding tryouts for 14u this spring for my son in north Houston area. He did not make the Kingwood freshman team.
Honest assessment, he has a good glove but needs more zip in his transitions. He hasnt played since last spring and his throwing accuracy has suffered a lot. He needs work on fielding.
Upside, he is a monster at the plate. Has a great eye for the ball and easily hits in the 300-310’ range. He is 5’10” and about 145 lbs. Fast with good range.
Would appreciate any lead on any teams in the area who may need another player.
Big Brass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2019, 03:36 PM   #53
systemnt
Pope & Young

Good news from doc.. mri showed no ucl tear..just really irritated the muscle on the growth plate it attaches to.
Can do light practice with no throwing , along with PT now..and start throwing increments in about 3 weeks..
Happy Baller
Old 02-01-2019, 03:52 PM   #54
ca1219
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7zrcool View Post
We're not doing Select anymore since we're @ the high school level now, but baseball season can't get here soon enough for me!
If your son is truly interested in baseball and it is possible for him to play at a higher level... mainly college, I would still highly recommend having him play tournament teams that do the showcase tournaments. These teams do not start playing until after the high school season.
ca1219 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2019, 04:49 PM   #55
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

system. Good for him. Having to watch team from dugout may put some fire in him as well. Looking forward to following. If any of you guys play at RR this Spring let me known. I’ll stop by and watch a few games
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2019, 09:32 PM   #56
Payne346
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1219 View Post
If your son is truly interested in baseball and it is possible for him to play at a higher level... mainly college, I would still highly recommend having him play tournament teams that do the showcase tournaments. These teams do not start playing until after the high school season.
This above....I personally haven’t seen a kid in the last 8-10 years play at the next level that did not play some sort of travel ball. Not many scouts at HS games for sure. Traveled all over the country with mine for years and he is one of the lucky ones to get a chance at the next level. If he has any desire to play any level of college ball he will need to stay playing with a tournament team.
Payne346 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2019, 09:55 PM   #57
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brass View Post
Looking for someplace still holding tryouts for 14u this spring for my son in north Houston area. He did not make the Kingwood freshman team.
Honest assessment, he has a good glove but needs more zip in his transitions. He hasnt played since last spring and his throwing accuracy has suffered a lot. He needs work on fielding.
Upside, he is a monster at the plate. Has a great eye for the ball and easily hits in the 300-310’ range. He is 5’10” and about 145 lbs. Fast with good range.
Would appreciate any lead on any teams in the area who may need another player.
Try Dynasty in Kingwood they normally have a 14U team talk to Heath.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2019, 12:14 AM   #58
tonyt79
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over

Tomorrow we are having a grand opening of the facility from 10-2 in Nevada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonyt79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2019, 12:40 AM   #59
Big Brass
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
Try Dynasty in Kingwood they normally have a 14U team talk to Heath.
Dynasty team is full. He has been taking batting practice with Heath for a couple of years now. Time for some fielding and throwing lessons.
Big Brass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2019, 08:56 AM   #60
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brass View Post
Dynasty team is full. He has been taking batting practice with Heath for a couple of years now. Time for some fielding and throwing lessons.
Call Heath and get Tony Bendner for lessons. He is pretty good with the boys.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:22 PM   #61
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty
Default 2019 Select Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Good news from doc.. mri showed no ucl tear..just really irritated the muscle on the growth plate it attaches to.
Can do light practice with no throwing , along with PT now..and start throwing increments in about 3 weeks..
Happy Baller

Hell yes!

Warm up and stretch properly young man, start short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2019, 12:45 PM   #62
systemnt
Pope & Young

Yup.. got to "workout" with his team again last night.. just caught and practiced blocks.. no throwing.
He was extremely happy to be back in gear .. and his teammates were super excited for him too which was cooler than anything else.
Going to miss playing in first few tournaments but we're in no hurry.
Lots of rest for the arm, PT and throwing lessons in his future.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #63
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:
Yup.. got to "workout" with his team again last night.. just caught and practiced blocks.. no throwing.
He was extremely happy to be back in gear .. and his teammates were super excited for him too which was cooler than anything else.
Going to miss playing in first few tournaments but we're in no hurry.
Lots of rest for the arm, PT and throwing lessons in his future.
What was the cause of his injury?
Old 02-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #64
systemnt
Pope & Young

Throwing over hand.

Seriously though.. the "cause" can be many variables...(doc speaking)

Mechanics, poor warmup, overuse (which is ironically an overused term), and/or throwing wrong one time, continuing to throw while hurt, etc... but the common denominator in all the variables is simply put..not enough rest between outings.
Throwing all the time is simply bad for the ucl.. let alone doing it incorrectly.

In Tans case ..he mightve hurt it throwing sidearm to second on a run..(the one time we saw him shake his arm) but then hid it, continued to play through it, and we as parents (me) and coaches didnt notice till he finally couldnt hide it anymore and fatigued it enough he had to compensate.
Hard enough for a parent tell if kid has hurt himself, is simply tired, or just wants a attention let alone ask a kid that wants to play more than he wants to breath to diagnose himself with something that gets himself sat on the bench.
Everone is about pitch counts, but forget the catcher throws as much as a pitcher does and sometimes harder, but doesnt always have the luxury of setting up proper mechanics before releasing the ball.

We do now.. and ill be monitoring his throwing heavily from this point forward.

Pretty obtuse answer i know.. but its the best we've got.
We're better equipped now with how he'll be playing, practicing and preparing- thats for sure.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #65
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:
Throwing over hand.

Seriously though.. the "cause" can be many variables...(doc speaking)

Mechanics, poor warmup, overuse (which is ironically an overused term), and/or throwing wrong one time, continuing to throw while hurt, etc... but the common denominator in all the variables is simply put..not enough rest between outings.
Throwing all the time is simply bad for the ucl.. let alone doing it incorrectly.

In Tans case ..he mightve hurt it throwing sidearm to second on a run..(the one time we saw him shake his arm) but then hid it, continued to play through it, and we as parents (me) and coaches didnt notice till he finally couldnt hide it anymore and fatigued it enough he had to compensate.
Hard enough for a parent tell if kid has hurt himself, is simply tired, or just wants a attention let alone ask a kid that wants to play more than he wants to breath to diagnose himself with something that gets himself sat on the bench.
Everone is about pitch counts, but forget the catcher throws as much as a pitcher does and sometimes harder, but doesnt always have the luxury of setting up proper mechanics before releasing the ball.

We do now.. and ill be monitoring his throwing heavily from this point forward.

Pretty obtuse answer i know.. but its the best we've got.
We're better equipped now with how he'll be playing, practicing and preparing- thats for sure.
I will never try and tell parents what to do with their player, but after 37+ years of playing and coaching I would sit the season out and go back in the fall. As a coach I would not let him return back this season and just rehab the spring season. I know parents don't want to hear that b/c they want to play, but it's best for the player in the long run. He is very young and if he is having problems already something is not right for sure, yes we can go to doctors and start paying more attention to what they are doing, but they need to rehab the proper way and take time to heal up. He is not getting recruited tomorrow or next year don't rush him back to soon a few weeks is not enough trust me I have been there done that. Sit the season out and get the proper training and go at it in the fall. Again hope he gets better soon and good luck to you guys!
Old 02-02-2019, 08:58 PM   #66
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Curious on bats if any of your players use wood bats?
HogHunter34 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2019, 09:54 PM   #67
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogHunter34 View Post
We use wood bats in the cages. I think it builds up their arm strength because the wood is heavier and builds up bat speed as well. We will play a few wood bat tournaments in 13U this year the boys like it for some reason LOL!
Old 02-02-2019, 10:03 PM   #68
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogHunter34 View Post
Both my boys use -10 bats for games but we mix in -5 or -8 wood bats during lessons or practice at the house. Same reasons above plus wood is smaller diameter than their USSSA game bats.
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2019, 10:17 PM   #69
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Same here we mix it up. However, my sons Louisville slugger solo 618 snapped at the higher part of the grip. He has a Marruci ap5 Wood that is 30” with drop 5. He likes it & tends to get better connection & drives the ball farther.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:11 PM   #70
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country

Season is getting close!

Last edited by ShockValue; 02-02-2019 at 11:14 PM.
ShockValue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2019, 11:48 PM   #71
LukeDuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas, Louisiana

Are there new bat rules other than USSSA 1.15 these days?

I saw something about new "USA" bat rules.

Asking because I have 8 or 10 laying around that have the USSSA 1.15 stamp.

If there is a new standard I guess I just need to chunk them.
LukeDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #72
js4242
Four Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co

Anyone have opinions on a good balanced bat in -8 or -5 for USSSA?
js4242 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2019, 02:19 PM   #73
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by js4242 View Post
Marucci Cat8. Also saw there they were releasing the Cat6 again, I'd look into that, almost every kid we knew used that Cat6 a few years ago.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:37 PM   #74
LukeDuke
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeDuke View Post

This seems like a reasonable question - lots of folks buying bats out there this time of year.

I have a HOT bat or 2 I'd be happy to give away, but I won't bother if it's no longer legal.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:12 PM   #75
Tall0
Four Point

Quote:
This seems like a reasonable question - lots of folks buying bats out there this time of year.

I have a HOT bat or 2 I'd be happy to give away, but I won't bother if it's no longer legal.
Do you have a 29/19 you want to sell? Bout to pull the trigger on a new bat for my son.

Thanks
Tall0 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #76
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:

It just depends on what leagues/tournaments you are playing. We still play all USSSA, and have never played a USA Baseball tourney.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:51 PM   #77
LukeDuke
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall0 View Post
Do you have a 29/19 you want to sell? Bout to pull the trigger on a new bat for my son.

Thanks
I have a 30/20 Worth Lithium prodigy that is ancient. It was a really hot bat in the day, but it dented easily. This one isn't dented, and likely still has plenty of life.

If you want to pay the postage or pick it up it's yours for free. PM me if interested.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:39 AM   #78
jer_james
Pope & Young

Glad to hear Tan's diagnosis!

Had a kiddo's older Brother diagnosed with what the Dr. actually called Little League Elbow. They noticed his throwing motion had a hitch, and he ended up missing the back half of Spring, and the Fall ball season. He did not throw at all, but he recovered very well. TONS of light resistance ban work.

I look forward to watching some baseball. Basketball season went great. Not certain that I'm looking forward to spending all day at the fields, but seems like this is the best way to get the competition that keeps him interested.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 07:59 AM   #79
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by js4242 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
Marucci Cat8.
My son recently got the Marucci Cat8 -5. He absolutely loves it.
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 08:07 AM   #80
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Yeah the rules vary depending on league and even tournament play & what’s allowed in terms of usssa 1.15 or USA stamped & once you get to 15u then bbcor.
I just got my son a Louisville slugger select 718 with drop 5.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:41 AM   #81
nativeaustin
Six Point

Hunt In: Seguin

You have to have a USA stamped or wood bats for Little League.
nativeaustin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #82
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

Quote:
Happy Baller

Glad to hear there wasn't a tear. That shirt your boy has on brought back some awesome memories. We played that World Series tourney back when Colton was playing 9u and won the whole thing. Looking back, that was our favorite big summer tournament followed closely by Cooperstown.

Name:  gulfshoresWS1.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  gulfshoresWS2.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  110.4 KB

Name:  gulfshoresWS3.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  118.2 KB
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 11:10 AM   #83
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

You guys need to get busy taking pictures. Some of us are waiting on the 9u-13u smiles and face paint
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #84
jer_james
Pope & Young

Was just told to book a room for a couple nights in Houston - I really need to get more positive about this whole ordeal, lol.

Courtyard off the HWY it is ...
Old 02-05-2019, 02:55 PM   #85
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
Was just told to book a room for a couple nights in Houston - I really need to get more positive about this whole ordeal, lol.

going through the same thing right now with my youngest, beaumont was nixed but looks like a trip to houston in may... oh, and also gulf shores in june...
Old 02-05-2019, 05:13 PM   #86
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post

Yall at bbusa?
Old 02-05-2019, 05:14 PM   #87
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
going through the same thing right now with my youngest, beaumont was nixed but looks like a trip to houston in may... oh, and also gulf shores in june...
Well be @ gulf shores in june.. yall at first or second?
Old 02-05-2019, 06:32 PM   #88
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well be @ gulf shores in june.. yall at first or second?
we will be there june 16-21, playing 8u as of now, although i wish we would just play KP right now.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:34 PM   #89
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
we will be there june 16-21, playing 8u as of now, although i wish we would just play KP right now.
See ya there! Hopefully Tan will be throwing by then...but we'll see
Old 02-05-2019, 06:49 PM   #90
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
See ya there! Hopefully Tan will be throwing by then...but we'll see
yeah man hope the rehab goes well and he is ready to go.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:08 AM   #91
salth2o
Pope & Young

My sons team has decided to go to Pigeon Forge for their World Series. It looks like an amazing place. Anybody ever been with their team?
Old 02-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #92
jhbailey86
Spike

Just Paid Dues!

Its go time!
jhbailey86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2019, 10:09 AM   #93
fishinguy
Four Point

Is anyone doing both select and Little League?

My son wants to do both but man this is going to be a tough schedule. All LL games would be played during the week. Select tournaments would be every other weekend. Not sure how I would arrange the practice schedule either because he would probably have to miss some practices somewhere in the season.

Development wise, he really needs more game time that is why I am entertaining the idea. We went strong on skills training in the fall with very few games.
fishinguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2019, 10:18 AM   #94
salth2o
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinguy View Post

My son wants to do both but man this is going to be a tough schedule. All LL games would be played during the week. Select tournaments would be every other weekend. Not sure how I would arrange the practice schedule either because he would probably have to miss some practices somewhere in the season.

Development wise, he really needs more game time that is why I am entertaining the idea. We went strong on skills training in the fall with very few games.
Here's something to ponder about little league...

Old 02-06-2019, 10:35 AM   #95
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Quote:

What age is he? We did it once with our oldest and it was alot, but he did fine with it. I think it just really depends on the kid. If a kid has above average skills I think they tend to play down in LL which isn't good. Also if he pitches I'd strongly consider not doing both because guess who's going to throw Thursday night in LL. The upside is they will get more reps and they get to play with their buddies. It's typically less intense and allows them to have more fun, but not always the case depending on how competitive your LL is. Also if he shows any signs of burnout by the end of spring travel ball then doing both will make it worse. Good luck in whatever you decide!
cwill is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #96
fishinguy
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
What age is he? We did it once with our oldest and it was alot, but he did fine with it. I think it just really depends on the kid. If a kid has above average skills I think they tend to play down in LL which isn't good. Also if he pitches I'd strongly consider not doing both because guess who's going to throw Thursday night in LL. The upside is they will get more reps and they get to play with their buddies. It's typically less intense and allows them to have more fun, but not always the case depending on how competitive your LL is. Also if he shows any signs of burnout by the end of spring travel ball then doing both will make it worse. Good luck in whatever you decide!

He plays 11u.

He does pitch but pitch count would be managed as if he were only playing on one team. He would not pitch in LL if there is not proper time for rest.

I did see it as an opportunity where he can just go out and have fun playing some games. Any sign of burn out or decline, and I would pull him from the LL. His skills are good he mostly needs to learn to play more relaxed which seems to come more from game reps than anything else.

This was completely my sons choice. I asked him in front of the select coach and the coach kinda broke down the amount of play with my son and my son said that is what he wanted to do. I figured we could give it a try I just hope both teams are willing to work with us.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:55 AM   #97
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Quote:
He plays 11u.

He does pitch but pitch count would be managed as if he were only playing on one team. He would not pitch in LL if there is not proper time for rest.

I did see it as an opportunity where he can just go out and have fun playing some games. Any sign of burn out or decline, and I would pull him from the LL. His skills are good he mostly needs to learn to play more relaxed which seems to come more from game reps than anything else.

This was completely my sons choice. I asked him in front of the select coach and the coach kinda broke down the amount of play with my son and my son said that is what he wanted to do. I figured we could give it a try I just hope both teams are willing to work with us.
Good deal! Be very up front with his LL coach about potential conflicts with pitching and practices etc. and all should be good. We told the board before our LL draft that our son was doing both so they could disclose that to the coaches before they even drafted him. One other consideration would be all Stars esp at his age. If selected and they do well he could potentially play all summer as well.
cwill is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2019, 12:09 PM   #98
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yall at bbusa?
We got that Larsson guy as the TD. Not sure where we will be yet. We are scheduled for Beaumont as well.

I may sit the Houston trip out, and stay local for Daughter's volleyball. Still trying to decide. Son will be with his Mama that weekend for start of Spring Break.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #99
fishinguy
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
Good deal! Be very up front with his LL coach about potential conflicts with pitching and practices etc. and all should be good. We told the board before our LL draft that our son was doing both so they could disclose that to the coaches before they even drafted him. One other consideration would be all Stars esp at his age. If selected and they do well he could potentially play all summer as well.
It did ask on the form when I signed up if he was playing anywhere else. I did indicate that he was so hopefully they take that into consideration prior to the draft. I will do my absolute best to work with all the coaches.

We will tackle the allstar topic at the end of the LL season. I'll see what other people on the select team do in these situation. There is probably some others that are playing both.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:20 PM   #100
Grant2
Ten Point

Any of you guys going to Gulf Shores shoot me a PM. I have a friend with a condo on the beach and it's very nice. They rent it out for the World Series every year.