Public Land Turkey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Land Turkey?

Went out to Newton County yesterday to try for public land turkey and got skunked. We never saw or heard a single bird. Talked to a guy who said he'd been scouting for the past 2 weeks and had only seen one print so far.
    Is there any public land where I might have a decent chance at a turkey. I'm ok with not shooting one but I would like for there to be turkeys in the area. Not looking for a honey hole just a public land where there are turkeys.
    Thanks.

LbJ grasslands in Decatur TX

Comment

Forgive my ignorance but I can't find anything about the regulations for that one. Is it in the public hunting booklet?

Comment

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

Public Land Turkey?

There are plenty birds in Newton County

While a few were successful, General report was yesterday wasn’t a very good day for gobbling.

I wouldn’t give up after just one day. They are there!

Comment

Thank you guys. We saw a group of 6 in a field about 30 from the hunting area but when we never heard a single bird and couldn't find a track it kind of put us off. It's a 3.5hr drive so it's a little tough to justify packing up and spending 7 hrs. There and back for not so much as a cluck. Still may give it a shot again.

Comment

I find it better to look feathers and dropping for sign especially if the ground is not good for seeing tracks. Public land birds can get extremely call shy. If you can find a spot that has good sign, set up there and call about every 15-20 minutes and no more. A gobbler might come sneaking in. For this type of hunting, a popup blind is your friend because it will conceal your movements. If I know birds are around, I will sit for at least 2 hours and it can be very difficult to sit still that long and be ready without a blind. I hunted public land turkeys for many years and was very successful with this type of hunting.

Comment

Working...
              X