Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-13-2021, 10:55 AM   #1
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default Question of the day ( trucks )

My 06 Silverado has an issue with the engine. Pretty much could be anything from just new lifters or lifters and cam to engine rebuild. I should get report back in a day or two. So question is would you rather have a 5k engine in a 6k truck or a 50k or higher ne truck?

Regardless of the diagnosis im having the repairs done. Cant imagine a note on a new truck but that's just me. Probably lots of good justification for a new truck as well
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 11:01 AM   #2
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

$5k engine. When my Tundra finally craps out I will repower and keep rolling. It’s been paid off for 7 years now, 2010 model.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 11:20 AM   #3
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: everywhere and anywhere you invite me to :)

My 2019 is half the truck my 05 is.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
gatorgar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 11:20 AM   #4
Mike Fangman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ranger & Kerrville

How many miles are on it ? I have an '06 Z71, with 240,000, still running strong.
Mike Fangman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 11:23 AM   #5
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fangman View Post
How many miles are on it ? I have an '06 Z71, with 240,000, still running strong.
5.3 with 240k. I am hoping its just the lifters and a valve. The #2 cylinder started misfiring halfway to Nacogdoches last friday. Shop out there is looking at it today
Old 10-13-2021, 11:27 AM   #6
AWnNETX
Six Point

Hunt In: Lamar Co., Red River Co., Shelby Co.

repower. I have an 08' Silverado with 330K on it. had transmission rebuilt at 204K
AWnNETX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 11:51 AM   #7
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Depends if your a status symbol guy like most. Needs those new truck payments with an F250, driving in the city on a 5-7 year note. Ill pass

Mine been paid off for 4 years.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 11:55 AM   #8
KGreene
Spike

Hunt In: Hopkins County

Stick a GM rebuilt crate engine in it. They used to carry a warranty at any dealership if they were installed by an ASE certified tech.
KGreene is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 12:05 PM   #9
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Crate GM Vortec Gen III 5.3L without VVT and all new coil paks.
Good for another 200K +

For a little more pulling power an LQ4 6.0L will bolt right in.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 12:07 PM   #10
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

New engine. I have a 2012 F250, and I plan to go that route. Granted it's a diesel, but same concept.

How strong is your transmission? Worth considering replacement if you have the motor out at the same time.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 12:15 PM   #11
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Paid off? Get rid of the electronics and put an old school 350 in it- something that is dependable and easy to work on! With the way things are going in this day and time think simple ! Get a spare alternator, starter, hoses belts , water pump and carb and store them in a ( for now) climate controlled environment! That may be too much to think about lol so if it were me I would get a nice crate motor, shove it in there and drive on ;-)

Last edited by Bucknaked; 10-13-2021 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Content
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 12:25 PM   #12
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Crate GM Vortec Gen III 5.3L without VVT and all new coil paks.
Good for another 200K +

For a little more pulling power an LQ4 6.0L will bolt right in.
If i end up needing a new engine ill mention these options...I'd like a tad more power.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:26 PM   #13
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
New engine. I have a 2012 F250, and I plan to go that route. Granted it's a diesel, but same concept.

How strong is your transmission? Worth considering replacement if you have the motor out at the same time.
Trans seems fine but with my luck it will need rebuilt a week after this deal is done
Old 10-13-2021, 12:31 PM   #14
easeup
Ten Point

fix her upper here too........I dont do payments.......of course your mileage may vary
easeup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 12:50 PM   #15
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Onalaska Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
My 06 Silverado has an issue with the engine. Pretty much could be anything from just new lifters or lifters and cam to engine rebuild. I should get report back in a day or two. So question is would you rather have a 5k engine in a 6k truck or a 50k or higher ne truck?

Regardless of the diagnosis im having the repairs done. Cant imagine a note on a new truck but that's just me. Probably lots of good justification for a new truck as well
Everyone hates truck or car notes. I know I do but with that said, my 2013 Ram 1500 had the same issue at 195000 miles and I opted to pay for the rebuild. About 4500 to replace lifters and cam. That was 2 years ago. This past February it happened again so I opted to just bite the bullet on a new truck. Iím glad I did it then cause truck prices got insane a few months later.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 01:14 PM   #16
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

used with 100K are around $2000.00

Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 01:15 PM   #17
RJH1
Ten Point

I drive a '94 Chevy with 310,000 mi on it and I'm pretty sure when it craps out I'm going to put a new engine in it. New ones are unbelievably expensive and even decent used ones are 10 or 15 grand with no warranty so might as well put an engine in my old crapper
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 01:24 PM   #18
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX & North TX

I totally understand the guys trying to squeeze several hundred thousand miles out of a truck and replacing engines when the time comes. With that said, that's never been me except when I was young and didn't have a choice. Not really interested in keeping up with the Jones or the status symbol thing but do enjoy having a new truck with bells and whistles as I'm in it a lot. I drive about 40k+ per year on average and I'm a pretty busy guy so I don't have time to waste on lengthy repairs or breakdowns. The joke around my family is that Josh must have needed new tires because he got another truck. I am on my 4th new truck since 2017 now lol. My name is Josh and I have a problem.... I don't do the crazy high notes with lengthy terms though. I put a lot down and generally pay them off quick.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 01:26 PM   #19
kmack
Eight Point

Hunt In: ??

I'd rather avoid a car payment any chance I get.

Currently have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ 5.7L Hemi and 247k miles. Rebuilt transmission 5k miles ago. Haven't opened up the motor yet and still running strong.

Previously had a 2000 Suburban LS w/ 5.3L and 320k miles on it. Rebuilt that trans twice, before I finally sold it on. Still miss that truck!
kmack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 01:34 PM   #20
RJH1
Ten Point

Yeah, I completely understand getting a new truck for some people if they want it. The reason I don't is I use mine for ranch work all the time and I'd hate to spend 15 or 20 grand on a nice used truck just to beat the dog crap out of it. That's one of the main reasons I just keep fixing my old junker. My wife has the nicer pickup that we use to drive around town and such LOL
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 03:34 PM   #21
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Repowering is easily the best option from a monetary standpoint. If you don't care about all the new technology in the new trucks, then just repower.

Some of the newer features are things like -

- USB ports and touch pads for I-phone charging;
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Touch screen displays
- Apple car play
- front/rear cameras
- more safety features like blind spot monitoring, cross traffic alerts, side curtain airbags, etc.
- LED headlight options

If you are just an AM/FM radio kind of guy, most if not all of that stuff won't matter. Or if you've never had it before, you won't miss it.

To be honest, my wife's Lexus has all of this stuff and I don't care about most of it.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 04:28 PM   #22
FVR JR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Someplace, TX

If you still like the truck and everything else is in good enough shape for you to justify keeping it, I'd rebuild and keep rolling. Trucks keep getting more gadgets put on them, and keep getting more expensive. At some point it just doesn't make sense financially to get a new one and pay for all the stuff everyone HAS to have if you don't have a use for it. But that's just the opinion of a guy who would be happy with rubber floors, a 350, and a 4 speed, you know, a truck, not a luxo-barge.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 04:53 PM   #23
Low Fence
Pope & Young

I’ve got an 01’ dura flop that my dad had this mentality on. 235k and still going. Only $80k in repairs over 20 years….. could have bought several work truck packages for that

Have an 05’ as well I’ve already replaced about every major … and minor component on it

Both look fine but the interiors are just falling apart…. Cause they are 16 years old….and they are made of plastic

I’m opposite I guess I’ll pay a payment for the piece of mind and dependability IF it’s my daily driver and what I make my living with
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 08:34 PM   #24
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

I have a new truck. It’s a piece of crap
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 08:43 PM   #25
RedBear78
Six Point

Hunt In: Warren,Sourlake,Angelina forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post
I totally understand the guys trying to squeeze several hundred thousand miles out of a truck and replacing engines when the time comes. With that said, that's never been me except when I was young and didn't have a choice. Not really interested in keeping up with the Jones or the status symbol thing but do enjoy having a new truck with bells and whistles as I'm in it a lot. I drive about 40k+ per year on average and I'm a pretty busy guy so I don't have time to waste on lengthy repairs or breakdowns. The joke around my family is that Josh must have needed new tires because he got another truck. I am on my 4th new truck since 2017 now lol. My name is Josh and I have a problem.... I don't do the crazy high notes with lengthy terms though. I put a lot down and generally pay them off quick.
Iím kinda in this situation too I run the roads and pull a lot of heavy loads so I like having the relative peace of mind of a newer vehicle.I do pass my trucks along to the crews when Iím done with them so they start getting patched up a bit but they donít put many miles on them around town.
RedBear78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 08:54 PM   #26
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tyler County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
I have a new truck. Itís a piece of crap

What did you buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 06:44 AM   #27
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
What did you buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A piece of crap that spends more time in shop than on the road. Usually drives a dealer loaner.
Razorback01 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 07:04 AM   #28
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

I'm a 10 year guy. I get a new truck about every 10 years. But I don't put alot of miles on it as I also have a company truck. So at 10 years I'm usually just getting to the point of needing repairs. Just sold my 2012 F350 for a 2022 F350. I also don't do big notes for years and years. Pay cash or close to it and what amount I do finance I pay off in less than 2 years.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:07 AM   #29
b.a.saha
Eight Point

Hunt In: westhoff, tx

Should be about 2500 to fix if they have to replace the cam. Hydraulic lifters in those. They have the gas saver trash where it cuts out certain cylinders. Causes the problem with the lifters.
b.a.saha is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top