Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huge Solar Storm Hitting Earth Today......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huge Solar Storm Hitting Earth Today......

I wondered why my Sirius XM Satellite Radio stations all dropped out for a while today.

Huge solar storm hitting Earth today could cause mass disruption for power grids and satellites, agency warns

An enormous solar flare is expected to hit Earth today, potentially affecting power grids and generating an aurora in northern latitudes.

The coronal mass ejection originates from the Sun, which is caused by a huge burst of electrically conducting plasma.

An alert published by the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) informed that we should expect “weak power grid fluctuations” and satellite “orientation irregularities” which could increase drag on craft in low Earth orbit.

The agency rates the storm as G2, which means it is moderately strong. It is expected to arrive around midday and will continue until 12 October.......

https://news.yahoo.com/huge-solar-st...114653707.html

I guy I watch on YouTube mentioned this yesterday or the day before. Guess he was right. Hope for the best

Comment

Let’s put this into perspective for a minute.

Is this a huge solar storm?

Yes and no.

We have been at solar minimum for a couple of years so we have not seen hardly any strong solar flares, till this latest one. So, compared to the last several years, yes, this is a big solar storm.

In the grand scheme of things, it is a mild one. The solar flare that produced the CME(coronal mass ejection) was only around an M1.2 flare. While M class flares can cause disruptions here on Earth, they are typically very minor. It is the X class solar flares that tend to do the most harm. But even then, it takes a strong X class flare to actually knock out electricity and other things for any length of time. For comparison, the Carrignton Event that took place in the 1800’s and caused telegraph offices to catch on fire was somewhere around an X50. If we were to have a solar flare that strong today, it would knock out power for a VERY long time, months at least.

So we are ok, for now.

Comment

Don't know much about the above, but my game camera started acting like Fauci today. Solar flares for sure

Comment

I’m glad I read this. I would have never known.

Comment

wow

Comment

I didn't notice anything but a X50 would be devastating to the side of the earth it hits. I hope its china.

Comment

Learn something new everyday I reckon

Comment

Guess I missed it lol!

Comment

Blew right by me.

Comment

How much of a warning do we get if there's an X50? Long enough for me to run to Krogers?

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                        Let’s put this into perspective for a minute.

Is this a huge solar storm?

Yes and no.

We have been at solar minimum for a couple of years so we have not seen hardly any strong solar flares, till this latest one. So, compared to the last several years, yes, this is a big solar storm.

In the grand scheme of things, it is a mild one. The solar flare that produced the CME(coronal mass ejection) was only around an M1.2 flare. While M class flares can cause disruptions here on Earth, they are typically very minor. It is the X class solar flares that tend to do the most harm. But even then, it takes a strong X class flare to actually knock out electricity and other things for any length of time. For comparison, the Carrignton Event that took place in the 1800’s and caused telegraph offices to catch on fire was somewhere around an X50. If we were to have a solar flare that strong today, it would knock out power for a VERY long time, months at least.

So we are ok, for now.

Did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night by any chance?

Comment

I wouldve liked to been in Canada last night when it hit to see the Northern Lights. People posting on instagram had some amazing views. I follow Jedlambhunting and he pics were awesome

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                            Did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night by any chance?
                            My thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                              How much of a warning do we get if there's an X50? Long enough for me to run to Krogers?

Depending on the speed of the CME(coronal mass ejection), the worst of it would hit within a day or two. There is always an initial ionization of the earth’s atmosphere that happens first within a few minutes of the solar flare taking place, but that is not as bad and typically only effects radio.

Comment

Working...
                              X