Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-30-2021, 10:47 PM   #1
lost cajun
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County, Mississippi, South Louisiana
Default 2021 Blackland Prairies Hunting (Navarro, Ellis, Hill, Freestone)

Itís that time of year again! Iím heading out this week to do my last mowing of the year and get a few food plots ready to plant. I canít remember a time when Iíve seen it this green going into September. It should make for an interesting season!
Who else is hunting the blacklands this season? Trying anything new? Food plots? Weíve had some success over the last few years but itís alway nice to hear from others in the area. Looking forward to a great season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lost cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 11:00 PM   #2
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro co

Thanks for starting it off this yr, I’ve been slacking. The growth this yr is unbelievable. I have been in a constant battle shredding and spraying but feel I have lost. Spent a lot of time shredding the last week and have most of what I need for the yr done I hope. Didn’t do summer plots this yr, first time in the last 3 yrs. thinking of only doing one area in oats. Do t have the usual number of bucks hanging around but I really slacked in my off season feeding. But also my entire place was so overgrown they prob couldn’t access a lot of the normal areas, it was that bad.
Hoping the acorns don’t flood the area. I have only noticed a couple trees with them but haven’t really been looking. Hoping to start seeing some familiar faces soon.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2021, 12:07 AM   #3
lost cajun
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
Thanks for starting it off this yr, Iíve been slacking. The growth this yr is unbelievable. I have been in a constant battle shredding and spraying but feel I have lost. Spent a lot of time shredding the last week and have most of what I need for the yr done I hope. Didnít do summer plots this yr, first time in the last 3 yrs. thinking of only doing one area in oats. Do t have the usual number of bucks hanging around but I really slacked in my off season feeding. But also my entire place was so overgrown they prob couldnít access a lot of the normal areas, it was that bad.
Hoping the acorns donít flood the area. I have only noticed a couple trees with them but havenít really been looking. Hoping to start seeing some familiar faces soon.

Hope I didnít jump ahead of you with the thread. I guess Iím excited for the season!
I feel like our place is overgrown too. We mowed earlier in the summer, but in some places you canít even tell. I just put all my cameras out a few weeks ago so Iíll be curious to see whatís on the cards this week.
I think Iím going try oats in my plots this year hoping itíll green up for later season if we get a little rain.
I slacked off on my feeding since I felt like the hogs would camp out and never let a deer get close.
Hope some new targets show up for you!

Old 08-31-2021, 03:46 PM   #4
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

no sir, I'm no official anything. I'm hoping they all come back soon. Good luck to all
Old 09-14-2021, 03:19 PM   #5
lost cajun
Ten Point

I planted my food plots this weekend trying to beat the rain in the forecast. I planted an oat, wheat, and rye mix. I checked the forecast Monday and all predicted rain had gone away, so I guess it'll sit there till we get rain.

Starting to have a few deer show up on camera, but nothing to get excited about yet.
Anybody else putting plots in this season?
Old 09-14-2021, 04:03 PM   #6
bowaddict40
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Navarro County

I am officially a doe man. My daughter has started hunting and she claims the good bucks. LOL....oh who am I kidding its more fun to see her shooting them than me shooting them myself. Im ready. Nothing new for us. We feed year round and have clover that grows in the orchard that will get knee high. So we dont plant food plots.
bowaddict40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2021, 06:11 PM   #7
lost cajun
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowaddict40 View Post
I am officially a doe man. My daughter has started hunting and she claims the good bucks. LOL....oh who am I kidding its more fun to see her shooting them than me shooting them myself. Im ready. Nothing new for us. We feed year round and have clover that grows in the orchard that will get knee high. So we dont plant food plots.

Yeah I feel like my boys are claiming the big bucks every year. But They canít kill them if I dont wake them up to go hunting!!! Ha!
I get more excited to watch them shoot than I do about shooting! Looking forward to the season!

Old 09-14-2021, 08:12 PM   #8
bowaddict40
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost cajun View Post
Yeah I feel like my boys are claiming the big bucks every year. But They canít kill them if I dont wake them up to go hunting!!! Ha!
I get more excited to watch them shoot than I do about shooting! Looking forward to the season!

I hear ya buddy. Pretty much all the hunting opportunities go to her. I get more excited than she does. It down right tickles me to see her kill anything.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:51 PM   #9
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

How is everyone’s deer movement so far? I still am not seeing any decent bucks. Most of my regulars have not shown up all summer and so far this early “fall”.
Old 10-06-2021, 02:27 PM   #10
Buck Shot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Freestone County

Mixed results for me, seems to change every few days. Last 48 hrs have seen lots of 10 pts and 8 pts but not much else of anything, then the does came out in force this morning. I hunted Saturday and Sunday but was really just scouting as not every deer is going into the feeders.
Buck Shot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2021, 02:48 PM   #11
lost cajun
Ten Point

I am just now starting to see lots of does show up. There have been a few bucks but not at our feeders. I have some cameras on trails that are catching them passing. The hogs are ridiculous right now. It seems like every time there is a deer at the feeder the hogs show up within minutes and run them off. I am going down this weekend to hopefully blast a few to give the deer a chance. Just wish it wasnít going to be so dadgum hot.

Old 10-06-2021, 03:10 PM   #12
EastTexasMan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas - Pop Up blind & Old Mexico

Have a pretty fair amount of mature bucks somehow at our place in anderson county this year, and they are all FAT
EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2021, 09:46 PM   #13
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

I actually saw a turkey hen with three polts near Navarro Mills today at the ranch. I have caught a random in passing by the camera in the spring time but never actually seen turkeys there.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:07 PM   #14
lost cajun
Ten Point

Quote:
I actually saw a turkey hen with three polts near Navarro Mills today at the ranch. I have caught a random in passing by the camera in the spring time but never actually seen turkeys there.

We had one hen on our property. She was banded. She was around for a season then didnít see her again.

Old 10-07-2021, 11:43 PM   #15
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Well better late than never but got a couple of my usual plots planted today. Also got extra feed out and a couple more spots ready. Still a little worried about lack of buck movement. I haven’t seen any of the usuals still. Not normal. Still seeing plenty of does and fawns or at least for my neck of the woods.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:55 AM   #16
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook

Lots of good deer movement along the river. They are hitting feeders pretty hard. Have 2 shooters on cam. 1 150”plus 8 point
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2021, 05:19 PM   #17
lost cajun
Ten Point

Went down to my property yesterday. Still seeing lots of does on camera, seems like more than In years past. Have a few decent bucks making the occasional appearance.
The plots that I put in finally got some rain on them last weekend. They are starting to sprout and the deer are hitting them already.
I think itís gonna be a good season!

Old 10-13-2021, 11:41 AM   #18
7sdad
Ten Point

Noticed some of the bigger bucks are visiting the feeders a lot more often with the rut getting closer.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 08:57 PM   #19
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Still slow for bucks at my place, never had this few of sightings since I’ve had it. Hoping something changes soon
Old 10-13-2021, 09:10 PM   #20
lost cajun
Ten Point

Hoping this cold weather this weekend gets em moving.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:49 AM   #21
bowaddict40
Pope & Young

Default 2021 Blackland Prairies Hunting (Navarro, Ellis, Hill, Freestone)

The bucks at our place are sporadic. You will see them for a couple of days then gone for a week. You never know when that couple of days are going to be. Very few bucks this year as well. Even the smaller/younger bucks are not there as they usually are. We like others have plenty of does though. My daughter shot a doe last Sunday with her crossbow. Made about as perfect a shot as you can make. Doe made it about 20yds. She helped with all of the skinning and quartering for the first time as well. Hopefully we can get her on a buck this weekend.

Here is her doe.

And here is the buck she is after.

Last edited by bowaddict40; 10-14-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:32 PM   #22
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Congrats to the young huntress! Hope they start showing up for you but I’m also glad it’s not just my place that has a buck shortage. I’m not sure what the reason is.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:28 AM   #23
lost cajun
Ten Point

The does were moving this weekend. I shot one Friday and my brother shot one Saturday. No bucks seen though. Weíve had them on camera but few daytime pics.
The weather was great! I hadnít been too excited about hunting till that front moved in and made it nice to sit in a stand again.
The rain sure helped out my plots. Theyíre coming in pretty good. Hoping they pay off late season.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:49 AM   #24
7sdad
Ten Point

I may have messed up Sat. morning by letting this buck walk, my first time seeing him in person and his body is huge. I think he'll score more than I thought looking at him on camera.
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2021, 11:00 AM   #25
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sdad View Post
I may have messed up Sat. morning by letting this buck walk, my first time seeing him in person and his body is huge. I think he'll score more than I thought looking at him on camera.
Hope he comes back by for you. He's a keeper in my book.
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2021, 11:18 AM   #26
AggieSportsman
Four Point

Hunt In: Limestone County

Has anybody noticed any rut action yet? We hunt Limestone county, but we are maybe .5 mile from the western boarder of Freestone county. I'm planning to take the week of 11/1 - 11/5 off work and hunt, but I can never nail down when the rut is.
AggieSportsman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2021, 11:24 AM   #27
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

I'm still not seeing any bucks over 2yr old. I'm totally puzzled. I added a few more cameras off feeders this weekend so hopefully they show somewhere.
We hunted saturday evening. There was a ton of neighbor noise near both our stands so we didn't see much till late. We both saw doe/fawns. We both had pigs come in and got shots. I made a great shot with my recurve and had great blood approx 120 yd until it hit a fence line in thich brush. Can't believe she made it that far. My daughter thinks she hit high, couldnt find arrow or blood. Both were right at dark with limited vis but both shots were inside 20yrds. Maybe next time.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:25 AM   #28
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Quote:
I wouldn't have even thought twice about that buck at my navarro place. Maybe he will slip up again.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #29
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Quote:
The does were moving this weekend. I shot one Friday and my brother shot one Saturday. No bucks seen though. Weíve had them on camera but few daytime pics.
The weather was great! I hadnít been too excited about hunting till that front moved in and made it nice to sit in a stand again.
The rain sure helped out my plots. Theyíre coming in pretty good. Hoping they pay off late season.

Yep my food plots have exploded and I just planted last week right before the rain.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:41 AM   #30
7sdad
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstraw View Post
Hope he comes back by for you. He's a keeper in my book.

He was back at the feeder for two hours yesterday afternoon. But I also have this one at a different feeder but I think heís to young.

Old 10-18-2021, 12:34 PM   #31
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hard to judge off just one pic but that brisket looks pretty deep and the neck ties straight in to the point. His girth is full front to back. I'd say that deer is older based on that one pic but really need more to make a call.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:17 PM   #32
7sdad
Ten Point

Quote:
Hard to judge off just one pic but that brisket looks pretty deep and the neck ties straight in to the point. His girth is full front to back. I'd say that deer is older based on that one pic but really need more to make a call.

Couple of different views.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:28 PM   #33
lost cajun
Ten Point

Quote:

Couple of different views.

Nice deer for sure! Itíd be tough for me to let him walk.

Old 10-18-2021, 11:24 PM   #34
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Looking at those I’d def say no younger than 4 and no older than 5
Old 10-21-2021, 04:54 PM   #35
Buck Shot
Eight Point

I’ve been in the stand the past two days. I’ve seen crazy chasing action both mornings. I’ve got a few new bucks showing up as well. I couldn’t get a shot at a buck so this morning I took out a doe. Going back this weekend to hopefully get a buck.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:37 PM   #36
lost cajun
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Shot View Post
Iíve been in the stand the past two days. Iíve seen crazy chasing action both mornings. Iíve got a few new bucks showing up as well. I couldnít get a shot at a buck so this morning I took out a doe. Going back this weekend to hopefully get a buck.

Thatís good to hear. Where abouts are you hunting? Iím in northern Navarro.
It seems like any action that we had at our feeders has stopped over the last couple of days. The warm weather probably isnít helping anything.

Old 10-21-2021, 07:15 PM   #37
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

It’s gonna be warm for sure, I have pretty good acorns falling but not as bad as yrs past. I need to get out tomorrow and check cams
Old 10-21-2021, 07:41 PM   #38
Buck Shot
Eight Point

Quote:
Thatís good to hear. Where abouts are you hunting? Iím in northern Navarro.
It seems like any action that we had at our feeders has stopped over the last couple of days. The warm weather probably isnít helping anything.

I hunt in Freestone County, near the old Big Brown plant and mines.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:00 PM   #39
7sdad
Ten Point

Lost Cajun are you near Chatfield?

Old 10-21-2021, 08:11 PM   #40
JJordan
Four Point

Hunt In: Navarro county

Good luck fellas I thinking of backing off for a year maybe two. Need to take a few doe out this way.
JJordan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2021, 09:50 PM   #41
lost cajun
Ten Point

Quote:
Lost Cajun are you near Chatfield?

Iím about 10 miles from there, between Rice and Corsicana. I saw your post about your black doe and was wondering where you were because I had a black doe on my place for a few years.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:32 AM   #42
7sdad
Ten Point

Quote:
I’m about 10 miles from there, between Rice and Corsicana. I saw your post about your black doe and was wondering where you were because I had a black doe on my place for a few years.

I hunt East of there and North of Kerens.

Last edited by 7sdad; 10-22-2021 at 07:45 AM.