Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-11-2021, 04:31 PM   #151
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayr View Post
This wins dumbest and most untrue statement Iíve read today.
Itís responses like this that sour this siteÖ..regardless of the topic or facts.
Anvilheadtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2021, 06:14 PM   #152
slayr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
Itís responses like this that sour this siteÖ..regardless of the topic or facts.
Iím sorry, Iíll be more polite when calling him retarded next time.
slayr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2021, 06:15 PM   #153
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, Neb, Illinois, MEXICO

Quote:
Iím sorry, Iíll be more polite when calling him retarded next time.

Itís definitely not retarded he may have slightly exaggerated, but heís far from off base. Youíre showing your class more than any point youíre trying to prove

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drop dead fred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2021, 08:32 PM   #154
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Onalaska Texas

Ok guys this is my first post so be gentle. First and foremost I joined this site to share a common passion with fellow outdoorsman like yourselves. Haven’t joined to fight. To be honest I have been a voyeur for a long time without joining because of all the Keyboard Assassins. I really don’t understand all the cheap shots but it appears that most no how to handle their business so I’ll move on and try and stay on topic. I’m going on 63 and hunted all my life in just about every region of the state. Now I am an exclusive East Texas deer hunter. I’m fortunate to have a good lease just 15 minutes from my house. 2019 I took a 5 1/2 year old 10 point that scored 139. Last season I took a 5 1/2 year old main frame 10 with split brows that scores 151. As time goes by I’ll figure out how to pics and would love to share. I feed year round protein and corn. I trap most of the hogs when they become a nuisance and let rest get comfortable coming to the corn feeders in daylight and shoot them. I have never had hogs completely run deer out of my area. I run cameras all year round so I can pattern the hogs for shooting purposes. Not a fan of feed pens because one of our members put some up and several deer were hung by their back legs and died. As for my hog trap, I built a round pen with cattle panels and put a corn feeder in it and let it feed until they got comfortable going in and set the trigger. Would pretty well catch the whole group each time I set it maybe every 2 to 3 weeks apart. Planted 9 acres of cow peas this year that could of done better with less rain but the deer benefited from it nonetheless. My mature buck groups have been non existent this year for some reason. I’m assuming it’s because of all the good browse this year and they have not needed the protein as much as in the past. Well I guess I should call it quits for now and really look forward to interacting with you guys in the near future.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2021, 08:53 PM   #155
slayr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
Itís definitely not retarded he may have slightly exaggerated, but heís far from off base. Youíre showing your class more than any point youíre trying to prove

I may have been rude, Iíve been around Greenheadless on forums for close to 20 yrs. Didnít mean to ruffle your and others feathers. But donít judge a personís class by two statements on a public forum.

he was painting with a broad brush. Some of the best places Iíve seen in E Texas do not run pens around feeders, kill incredible bucks and hogs arenít an issue.
slayr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2021, 08:57 PM   #156
SteveTX
Spike

Good stuff gumbo man. You got any spots on that lease? I'm recently hunting-homeless and looking for a soft landing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo Man View Post
Ok guys this is my first post so be gentle. First and foremost I joined this site to share a common passion with fellow outdoorsman like yourselves. Havenít joined to fight. To be honest I have been a voyeur for a long time without joining because of all the Keyboard Assassins. I really donít understand all the cheap shots but it appears that most no how to handle their business so Iíll move on and try and stay on topic. Iím going on 63 and hunted all my life in just about every region of the state. Now I am an exclusive East Texas deer hunter. Iím fortunate to have a good lease just 15 minutes from my house. 2019 I took a 5 1/2 year old 10 point that scored 139. Last season I took a 5 1/2 year old main frame 10 with split brows that scores 151. As time goes by Iíll figure out how to pics and would love to share. I feed year round protein and corn. I trap most of the hogs when they become a nuisance and let rest get comfortable coming to the corn feeders in daylight and shoot them. I have never had hogs completely run deer out of my area. I run cameras all year round so I can pattern the hogs for shooting purposes. Not a fan of feed pens because one of our members put some up and several deer were hung by their back legs and died. As for my hog trap, I built a round pen with cattle panels and put a corn feeder in it and let it feed until they got comfortable going in and set the trigger. Would pretty well catch the whole group each time I set it maybe every 2 to 3 weeks apart. Planted 9 acres of cow peas this year that could of done better with less rain but the deer benefited from it nonetheless. My mature buck groups have been non existent this year for some reason. Iím assuming itís because of all the good browse this year and they have not needed the protein as much as in the past. Well I guess I should call it quits for now and really look forward to interacting with you guys in the near future.
SteveTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2021, 09:11 PM   #157
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETX_Insanity View Post
About to start getting set up on new lease on south end of Toledo Bend. Lots of work to do but can't wait for october
Just two of us left now splitting 800 acres. A little costly but we like the breathing room and we donít have to give up as many deer this way. Itís paying off with more bucks reaching prime age.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:37 PM   #158
SteveTX
Spike

Man if any of you enthusiasts are looking for a side hustle I have to suggest selling hunting cabins. I posted mine for sale on facebook yesterday and the response has been overwhelming.
SteveTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2021, 08:53 PM   #159
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tyler County

Man, I don't know why I keep overlooking this thread. Lots of good information on it.

This will be my second year on our place in Tyler County and I'm super excited. Good genetics in our area. My place is a nice mix of woods and pastureland, well-divided and broken up. It hunts a lot bigger than it is. I'm the only one that hunts it 90% of the time, but my Dad, sons-in-law, brother-in-law and buddy have a sit from time to time.

I feed corn/roasted soybean year round and fed protein from February thru September last year. Will probably feed protein year round from now own. I feed in big 75' diameter feed pens and only have a couple of feeders outside of pens for hogs. Have a nice mix of 18' double ladder stands, krivoman blinds and some nice box blinds for the kids.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming season. Seeing good bachelor groups on camera and lots of babies with their mommas. I haven't seen big boy yet, but I didn't see him last year until just before October so I have hope. A couple of real promising bucks, but no great pics of them. My camera situation has been frustrating, so I just replaced them all.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 11:29 AM   #160
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
I may have been rude, Iíve been around Greenheadless on forums for close to 20 yrs. Didnít mean to ruffle your and others feathers. But donít judge a personís class by two statements on a public forum.

he was painting with a broad brush. Some of the best places Iíve seen in E Texas do not run pens around feeders, kill incredible bucks and hogs arenít an issue.
Right on

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 12:10 PM   #161
Crabtrap
Four Point

Quote:

Agreed, Like Bob Ross said.. Lets sprinkle a little yellow out on the horizon, Wow isn't that beautiful when a mess comes together..
Crabtrap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 12:12 PM   #162
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX & North TX

I'm excited for this season. I had a bit of a late start on feeding and getting cameras back out this year. I can't wait to be back up in a tree with a bow in my hand.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 12:31 PM   #163
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine

Im super excited myself to get back to bow hunting after taking a year off. I been leasing this 563 acres from the paper company for 10 years and they just finished up the first thinning about a month ago. Its about 300 acres of pine and 260 acres of hardwood bottoms with a big creek. Im going this weekend to do some work and pull cards on 2 new spots I set up a month ago. This one I really like!
Attached Images

hogslayer78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 12:34 PM   #164
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogslayer78 View Post
Im super excited myself to get back to bow hunting after taking a year off. I been leasing this 563 acres from the paper company for 10 years and they just finished up the first thinning about a month ago. Its about 300 acres of pine and 260 acres of hardwood bottoms with a big creek. Im going this weekend to do some work and pull cards on 2 new spots I set up a month ago. This one I really like!
Glad to see you are back at it Mike!
Old 08-13-2021, 01:33 PM   #165
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Hey Curt. Good info . I know you don’t know who this is but you and Jenny used to come to my restaurant when y’all come to the lake. It’s been awhile. Hope all is well.
Old 08-13-2021, 01:35 PM   #166
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hey Curt. Good info . I know you donít know who this is but you and Jenny used to come to my restaurant when yíall come to the lake. Itís been awhile. Hope all is well.
LeBlanc's?
Old 08-13-2021, 01:59 PM   #167
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Yes sir.
Old 08-13-2021, 02:04 PM   #168
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Whereabouts is your lease? I'm over in your neck of the woods in Chireno.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 02:12 PM   #169
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
I used to Hunt in Chireno on the Attoyac
Old 08-13-2021, 03:23 PM   #170
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabtrap View Post
Agreed, Like Bob Ross said.. Lets sprinkle a little yellow out on the horizon, Wow isn't that beautiful when a mess comes together..
What the heck are you smoking

Old 08-13-2021, 04:37 PM   #171
BarW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tyler, Polk, Angelina counties, Colorado

Bachelor groups a plenty.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
BarW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 05:05 PM   #172
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

For some odd reason my bachelor groups have been non existent and very good at hiding. I’m assuming it’s because of all the browse they’ve had this year. I can account for maybe three 1 1/2 year old bucks all summer long. In the past I never see any target bucks show up until they are in hard horn but always have younger groups at the protein feeders. But not many of them this year. I have no problem feeding year round even though the bucks aren’t benefiting the does are so their in good physical condition for fawning season and after. But I’m sure glad others are starting to post pictures of some good bucks though cause I’ve been starving over here. All in all I’m fortunate to know that they are still around and they will show up all in the same week. It’s like someone flips a switch. The last 2 seasons I have watched a good 4 1 /2 year old that just needed one more year. Each time that particular buck will stay and be very visible all season long and making a gluten out of himself on the protein. But in late January they will always leave regardless of food supply and not be seen again until late Sept. or early Oct. But both of the last 2 seasons they have come back and allowed me to take them at 5 1/2. I’ve always wondered if they were still on the property or 5 miles away.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:02 PM   #173
NewBallCoach
Six Point

Got a new stand set up this past weekend and started getting things together to plant in about a month. Pulled cards and had plenty of doe but only one buck which is very surprising as we finished last year with several different bucks who were all looking good. The only one I have right now is not legal at all he basically grows straight up. I'm sure the others will show up eventually. The doe have really been hammering the protein which is awesome (although getting expensive) and tearing up the mineral sites. Needless to say the girls are looking healthy lol and the fawns are looking good as well. Getting more excited by the day
NewBallCoach is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2021, 01:39 PM   #174
andre3k
Four Point

I haven't seen a bachelor party yet at my place in Burkeville. Does have been hitting the feeders like clockwork. The fawns have finally made an appearance on camera. I have one spike that is a regular but thats about it for bucks.

The hogs are still doing what hogs do.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2021, 01:48 PM   #175
Thisistheway
Spike

Looking forward to October.
Thisistheway is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2021, 01:57 PM   #176
chewjr
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas,Menard

Quote:
Yes sir.
We enjoy the place!
chewjr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2021, 02:11 PM   #177
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Quote:
We are in Rosevine off 103 right between San Augustine and Hemphill.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:20 PM   #178
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Mason County

Quote:
Very nice.
Any idea how long ago they planted the pines that were thinned?
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2021, 02:22 PM   #179
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Very young fawn in Leon county.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2021, 02:29 PM   #180
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolilloLoco View Post
Very nice.
Any idea how long ago they planted the pines that were thinned?
They were about 4 ft to 6ft tall when I started leasing the property 10 years ago so I figure about 2 years old maybe. First thinning this year which was every 4th row and in 5 years they will come and take out every 2nd row and then cut the remaining and plant again in 10 years. The lease has been great just really thick until now. The forester said the next 10 years will be the best with it getting better and better each year. I look at those pics and its crazy to imagine those trees were 5ft tall on average 10 years ago.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:32 PM   #181
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Mason County

Quote:
They were about 4 ft to 6ft tall when I started leasing the property 10 years ago so I figure about 2 years old maybe. First thinning this year which was every 4th row and in 5 years they will come and take out every 2nd row and then cut the remaining and plant again in 10 years. The lease has been great just really thick until now. The forester said the next 10 years will be the best with it getting better and better each year. I look at those pics and its crazy to imagine those trees were 5ft tall on average 10 years ago.
Appreciate the info.
Thanks
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2021, 02:53 PM   #182
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

We did make it out to the lease this weekend and got my rifle and bow blinds set up in one spot and my wifes bow blind set up. The deer have been hitting her spot as well but the camera took a crap and didn't take any pics but you can tell under the feeder. The tripod feeder had deer hitting it 2 days after I set it up a month ago. I just put a muddy manifest cellular camera on my spot this weekend and will pick another one up for my wifes.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2021, 03:17 PM   #183
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Hunt In: East TX-Harrison County

Quote:
We did make it out to the lease this weekend and got my rifle and bow blinds set up in one spot and my wifes bow blind set up. The deer have been hitting her spot as well but the camera took a crap and didn't take any pics but you can tell under the feeder. The tripod feeder had deer hitting it 2 days after I set it up a month ago. I just put a muddy manifest cellular camera on my spot this weekend and will pick another one up for my wifes.
Looks good.
U.S.ArmyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2021, 05:34 PM   #184
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes sir.
Was in there Saturday evening. We love it
Old 08-16-2021, 06:01 PM   #185
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Made a run out to check cards after getting home from vacation. Two weeks, 1350 pics. Lots of doe and tiny fawns along with one buck, a 1 1/2 yo 7 point. Small group of young pigs passed through late last week and never came back. Just that alone tells me there is way more food available and the mature bucks will likely steer clear for a while. We donít typically start getting pics until 1st or 2nd week of Oct.

bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2021, 06:22 PM   #186
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Checked mock scrap where I had ďMain EventĒ last few years. Iíve never seen him in velvet in his 8+ years. August 29 last year is when I came backÖ so hoping he grew as much as the others! The 9 that I passed countless time exploded this year! He I at scrape daily and often in daylight. He will be a hard pass if ďM.E.Ē Is a no show or damaged somehow. Exciting to start seeing this older class of deer finishing up!!!
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2021, 07:08 PM   #187
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Looking good Mike

Old 08-16-2021, 07:40 PM   #188
HighwayHunter
Ten Point

Quote:
For some odd reason my bachelor groups have been non existent and very good at hiding. Iím assuming itís because of all the browse theyíve had this year. I can account for maybe three 1 1/2 year old bucks all summer long. In the past I never see any target bucks show up until they are in hard horn but always have younger groups at the protein feeders. But not many of them this year. I have no problem feeding year round even though the bucks arenít benefiting the does are so their in good physical condition for fawning season and after. But Iím sure glad others are starting to post pictures of some good bucks though cause Iíve been starving over here. All in all Iím fortunate to know that they are still around and they will show up all in the same week. Itís like someone flips a switch. The last 2 seasons I have watched a good 4 1 /2 year old that just needed one more year. Each time that particular buck will stay and be very visible all season long and making a gluten out of himself on the protein. But in late January they will always leave regardless of food supply and not be seen again until late Sept. or early Oct. But both of the last 2 seasons they have come back and allowed me to take them at 5 1/2. Iíve always wondered if they were still on the property or 5 miles away.

You know I always wondered the same thing about bucks leaving an area and how far/where they went. I just listened to a podcast from the southern outdoorsman and they had a guy on thatís done gps collar studies on mature bucks. He even did several on a hunting club in Alabama (I think) and they had specific cases of 4.5+ old bucks that guys on the club may only get a photo of once during season at midnight or something near a feeder, but otherwise theyíd never see the buck at all. They talked about how common they found it to be that a mature buck will live within 100-200 yards of a stand/feeder set up that heíll absolutely never visit or go near until a hot doe comes through the area. Not much use to you but thought it was super interesting!

HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2021, 07:42 PM   #189
RJK70
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas and Western States

When do east Texas bucks typically stop growing their antlers and rub off the velvet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
RJK70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2021, 07:54 PM   #190
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

In the next two weeks or so

Old 08-16-2021, 09:20 PM   #191
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
In the next two weeks or so

I think theyíll probably start in the next couple of weeks, but a lot of them will have velvet till about the end of September.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2021, 09:44 PM   #192
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
We are in Rosevine off 103 right between San Augustine and Hemphill.
Ahh ok. We take that first major left after the 103 bridge at the shell station....looks like you head about 15 more minutes down 103. That gas station doesnt sell alcohol!!
Old 08-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #193
Tex21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina, Val Verde Counties

Quote:
Ahh ok. We take that first major left after the 103 bridge at the shell station....looks like you head about 15 more minutes down 103. That gas station doesnt sell alcohol!!
If you want alcohol near Etoile/CR 226 you will have to go to Kingtown. Once on 226 you take a left on Cr 552 and there's a liquor store at Kingtown Landing.
Tex21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2021, 09:21 AM   #194
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Quote:
Good thing about our lease is there is one little mom and pop store in Rosevine on 103 and they sell beer👍
Old 08-18-2021, 06:12 AM   #195
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Couple of late one's showed up yesterday. Definitely some good activity at this new set up. Im actually kind of surprised they are hitting the feeder as hard as they are with all the browse we have.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2021, 07:31 AM   #196
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Couple of late one's showed up yesterday. Definitely some good activity at this new set up. Im actually kind of surprised they are hitting the feeder as hard as they are with all the browse we have.
Where is your pen

Old 08-18-2021, 07:36 AM   #197
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
Where is your pen

especially being in the pine trees where deer dont eat at feeders in East Texas
Old 08-18-2021, 08:34 AM   #198
JhuntsAlot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Houston County, Madison County, Kendall County, where friends are.

Quote:
especially being in the pine trees where deer dont eat at feeders in East Texas
lol

J
JhuntsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2021, 10:58 AM   #199
FlightCancelled
Six Point

Some of these pens are way overkill, ditch the feeders get you some 36" x 100ft 2x4 14ga fencing from tractor supply sku#362647399. I will try to use the whole roll of fencing depending on how much area I have to work with. After getting the fence tight and setup I fold down 10-12" of the fence, I have yet to have a hog jump in and we do have a big hog problem. Hand corn hand corn hand corn
FlightCancelled is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #200
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex21 View Post
If you want alcohol near Etoile/CR 226 you will have to go to Kingtown. Once on 226 you take a left on Cr 552 and there's a liquor store at Kingtown Landing.
That would be our place!