Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-14-2021, 12:01 AM   #1
peterp63
Ten Point

Default Liver Recipe

Wanting to try liver out. Never was a meal we ate growing up, but hear of all the good health benefits. What’s a good, easy recipe to try out for a newbie organ-eater?? Venison, beef… chicken? What’s tastes best… better??
peterp63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 12:10 AM   #2
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

Me, raw, to the catfish that is. Yuck to me....

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
DFWPI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 02:41 AM   #3
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Love me some liver!! Here is how I cook it up.

I take 3-4 strips of bacon and shop them up. I cook the bacon in a large skillet. Once the bacon has cooked up I remove the bacon leaving the fat in the pan. I will then fry up the thinly sliced liver pieces… once the liver is nice and brown on both sides I add onions, bell peppers and jalapeños along with the cooked bacon bits. once the veggies are cooked through I will add 1-2 tomatoes that have been blended into a liquid state… at this point I season with salt. Once the tomatoe “sauce”start to boil I turn burner down to low and cover the the pan. the tomatoes will turn into a gravy like mixture. Last thing I like to do is add some cherry tomatoes that I first slice in half…. I let those cook in for a few minutes and it’s done…

Last edited by Pedernal; 10-14-2021 at 02:44 AM.
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 03:41 AM   #4
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Love me some liver!! Here is how I cook it up.

I take 3-4 strips of bacon and shop them up. I cook the bacon in a large skillet. Once the bacon has cooked up I remove the bacon leaving the fat in the pan. I will then fry up the thinly sliced liver pieces… once the liver is nice and brown on both sides I add onions, bell peppers and jalapeños along with the cooked bacon bits. once the veggies are cooked through I will add 1-2 tomatoes that have been blended into a liquid state… at this point I season with salt. Once the tomatoe “sauce”start to boil I turn burner down to low and cover the the pan. the tomatoes will turn into a gravy like mixture. Last thing I like to do is add some cherry tomatoes that I first slice in half…. I let those cook in for a few minutes and it’s done…
Bell peppers, jalapeños, bacon grease, onions, tomatoes…… almost enough strong flavors to cover up the taste…. but not quite.

To the OP, if you have never tried it, you might be trying a food that has the true definition of a love it or hate it reputation. There are foods that some people love, some people hate and some people who will eat it but maybe it’s not a favorite.

With liver there seems to be very few people in between. It is either, oh my god that has to be the most disgusting food on the face of the Earth and I will starve to death before I will eat a piece or oh my god, I would kill the person of your choice for a plate of liver and onions.

I would venture to guess about 85% of the people fall in the, I can’t stand it category.

For those that love it, awesome. In wish I did but it is one of the very few foods (maybe only) that I cannot eat and in most cases love.

To the OP, I wish you luck. Maybe if we fall on hard times, you will be in at 15% that can live on all the extra liver.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 04:19 AM   #5
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
Bell peppers, jalapeños, bacon grease, onions, tomatoes…… almost enough strong flavors to cover up the taste…. but not quite.

To the OP, if you have never tried it, you might be trying a food that has the true definition of a love it or hate it reputation. There are foods that some people love, some people hate and some people who will eat it but maybe it’s not a favorite.

With liver there seems to be very few people in between. It is either, oh my god that has to be the most disgusting food on the face of the Earth and I will starve to death before I will eat a piece or oh my god, I would kill the person of your choice for a plate of liver and onions.

I would venture to guess about 85% of the people fall in the, I can’t stand it category.

For those that love it, awesome. In wish I did but it is one of the very few foods (maybe only) that I cannot eat and in most cases love.

To the OP, I wish you luck. Maybe if we fall on hard times, you will be in at 15% that can live on all the extra liver.
Never say never this recepie has been eaten by people that swore they would starve before eating liver. most said the liver they ate before must have been bad and as proof most cleaned their plate to the point it almost didn't need to get washed...
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 04:37 AM   #6
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Never say never this recepie has been eaten by people that swore they would starve before eating liver. most said the liver they ate before must have been bad and as proof most cleaned their plate to the point it almost didn't need to get washed...
Well maybe you finally did find enough strong flavors to cover up the taste of liver.

It kind of reminds me of the hundred or so threads on TBH.

What do I do with this maybe less desirable meat? You can almost count the seconds go by until someone answers, cut it in small pieces and wrap it in cream cheese, jalapeño and bacon…..

I am glad if you can turn some people on to liver. Maybe the hatred level will go down to about 83%.

And I hope peterp63 loves it.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:38 AM   #7
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp63 View Post
Wanting to try liver out. Never was a meal we ate growing up, but hear of all the good health benefits. What’s a good, easy recipe to try out for a newbie organ-eater?? Venison, beef… chicken? What’s tastes best… better??
And although I don’t eat it, I understand that chicken and goose have a milder flavor. Supposedly some people they don’t like beef or pork liver, love chicken liver so that might be a start.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:12 AM   #8
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

I'll eat a runny fried egg before I would eat liver.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 06:18 AM   #9
HeyMikey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria County

I'm in the 15% that like eating liver.
I've tried deer liver a few times as well, and it's good, too.
HeyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 06:45 AM   #10
Hoyt Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Sauté onions then set then aside, batter the liver like you would a chicken fried steak and then fry when it’s a light golden brown remove from the grease and in another skillet make a big batch of gravy and add the onions and chicken fried liver all together and simmer. This is meal is a favorite at deer camp.
Hoyt Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 06:50 AM   #11
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Man View Post
Sauté onions then set then aside, batter the liver like you would a chicken fried steak and then fry when it’s a light golden brown remove from the grease and in another skillet make a big batch of gravy and add the onions and chicken fried liver all together and simmer. This is meal is a favorite at deer camp.

Like a brown gravy made from stock or a white milk gravy?

I’ve only ever had a fried chicken liver or two ever. I like trying different foods and need to make liver at least once to rule it in or out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 06:58 AM   #12
Hoyt Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Brown gravy made from stock
Hoyt Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 07:06 AM   #13
Louis
Ten Point

If your gonna try it take my advice and get calf liver. Big difference in taste and tenderness over beef liver
Cook the way hoyt man said. It is an acquired taste
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #14
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Good way to ruin a perfectly good onion.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:36 AM   #15
SNKETR
Four Point

Hunt In: Robertson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWPI View Post
Yuck to me....
Same here. Every once in a while I'll try something new to see if it makes it work. I never get past the first bite.
SNKETR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 07:40 AM   #16
bmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson Co. & TPWD

Just go to Chicken E and order it fried. It’s truely a love it or hate item. I will eat it if it is served to me but sure won’t ask for seconds and will surely try to sneak it out in a napkin.

bmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:26 AM   #17
Jason85
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere i can!

The only way I can eat liver is in boudin.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Jason85 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:37 AM   #18
Ag 89
Eight Point

Hunt In: Segovia, Menard

My parents made me eat it when I was a kid. I did not like it then. Now I know what it does for a living (basically the body's trash can for metabolizing nasty things) and like it even less.
Ag 89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:41 AM   #19
7sdad
Ten Point

Place in Pantego has good liver and onions and I think I know what I'm having for lunch!
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:45 AM   #20
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sdad View Post
Place in Pantego has good liver and onions and I think I know what I'm having for lunch!

Great idea!

Anyone know of a good place around Houston for Liver and Onions?? So I don’t screw up the cooking process….
peterp63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:51 AM   #21
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

Me is just salt, pepper, flour, fry in bacon grease, add onions and cover. Simmer until onions are translucent, pull out liver only, stir in some flour to thicken. Add liver back in to keep warm until serving. Serve liver, onions, and gravy over a plate of buttered grits.
E.TX.BOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:55 AM   #22
huntmaster
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Archer County

the main reason I miss Luby's is because they had good liver n onions.
huntmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:58 AM   #23
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

It depends on the liver for me. I like chicken livers. Calf liver is good if prepared properly. Bison liver is the best. Deer liver is just too strong for me, can’t handle it.

This is by far the best way I’ve found to eat liver, bar none. I made this with bison liver but I’m sure it would be just fine with calf liver too.

Bison Pate

•. Milk
• 1 small onion, minced
• 8 medium mushrooms chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 pound bison liver
• 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
• 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
•. 1 cup coconut oil or duck fat, melted
•. 3 tbs balsamic vinegar
• ½ teaspoon sea salt

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Cube liver and cover with milk. Refrigerate for a minimum of two hours.
2. Split the fat and put half in frying pan. Add the onion and mushrooms, and cook until soft on medium-high. Add the garlic and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the liver, sprinkling with the herbs. Cook for 3-5 minutes per side, until just pink in the center. Add balsamic vinegar and reduce liquid.
3. Turn off heat, and place contents into a blender or food processor with the coconut oil and sea salt. Process until it forms a thick paste, adding more coconut oil if too thick.
4. Garnish with some fresh herbs and serve with crackers, toasted bread or vegetable sticks.
Cautionary note. If the Rosemary is fresh out of the garden then cut the amount in half and adjust to taste. Greasy out of the garden it is very strong.

Last edited by Geezy Rider; 10-14-2021 at 09:03 AM.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 09:01 AM   #24
swamprabbit59
Eight Point

Hunt In: Where I Can
Default Liver Recipe

My dad cooked beef liver alot growing up

Bacon grease fried liver n onions with ketchup

Lots of beer first helps lol

Why is it hard to find beef liver now? They never have it at HEB

swamprabbit59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 09:02 AM   #25
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

I keep livers from all the deer myself and the family kill.

My favorite is prepared in to a Pate.

If never had it and curious I’d grind it and mix into meatballs, or go all in and have you some liver and onions.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 09:02 AM   #26
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

I few months after I met my wife we went to a hotdog stand and she asked for Sauerkraut. I was blown away because I like it to.
A few months later we went out and she ordered liver - and I new she was a keeper...
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 09:03 AM   #27
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezy Rider View Post
It depends on the liver for me. I like chicken livers. Calf liver is good if prepared properly. Bison liver is the best. Deer liver is just too strong for me, can’t handle it.

This is by far the best way I’ve found to eat liver, bar none. I made this with bison liver but I’m sure it would be just fine with calf liver too.

Bison Pate

•. Milk
• 1 small onion, minced
• 1 pound bison liver
• ½ teaspoon sea salt

INSTRUCTIONS
2. Split the fat and put half in frying pan. Add the onion and mushrooms, and cook until soft on medium-high. Add the garlic and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the liver, sprinkling with the herbs. Cook for 3-5 minutes per side, until just pink in the center. Add balsamic vinegar and reduce liquid.
3. Turn off heat, and place contents into a blender or food processor with the coconut oil and sea salt. Process until it forms a thick paste, adding more coconut oil if too thick.
4. Garnish with some fresh herbs and serve with crackers or toasted bread.
Cautionary note. If the Rosemary is fresh out of the garden then cut the amount in half and adjust to taste. Greasy out of the garden it is very strong.
You blend the liver with all the other contents?
Old 10-14-2021, 09:27 AM   #28
doeboy11
Eight Point

Hunt In: Georgetown, Balcones Canyon Land Lee County

Pork liver is a little sweeter taste
Calf tender
Beef tougher
Deer very good

Now my mouth is watering, need to shot a deer.
doeboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 09:30 AM   #29
UncleBubba
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dickens, Hunt, and Red River Co.

Soak in buttermilk over night, chicken fry the next day with favorite seasonings, and enjoy with some cream gravy. Same for gizzards!
UncleBubba is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 09:34 AM   #30
brutus
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills Co. Priddy Tx. area

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWPI View Post
Me, raw, to the catfish that is. Yuck to me....

That is the only way I have ever prepared it. Served over a trebble hook. You can prepare your chicken Livers the same way. Your welcome!

Last edited by brutus; 10-14-2021 at 09:39 AM.
brutus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 09:37 AM   #31
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Man View Post
Word to ya motha.....

Exactly how I do it. One of my favorite meals. I prefer calf liver.
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 09:43 AM   #32
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Houston Counties

I am not a fan of eating liver but the health benefits from liver (specifically grass fed beef liver) is mind blowing. For anyone that wants the benefits from liver without eating it, they make a great pill supplement.

Ancestral Supplements Grass Fed Beef Liver (Desiccated) — Natural Iron, Vitamin A, B12 for Energy (180 Capsules) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSBZYQW...K04W7381HXYQ8Y

Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 09:54 AM   #33
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Quote:
You blend the liver with all the other contents?
Yes sir, it’s a pate so it all gets emulsified together. Similar to liver wurst.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:59 AM   #34
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes sir, it’s a pate so it all gets emulsified together. Similar to liver wurst.
Thanks. That’s what it sounded like.

Pate’ is a different animal than eating regular liver. It’s like having liver in Boudin.

I like braunschweiger sausage (commonly called goose liver, which it isn’t) because it’s blended up enough that it doesn’t taste like eating a chunk of liver.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:16 AM   #35
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thanks. That’s what it sounded like.

Pate’ is a different animal than eating regular liver. It’s like having liver in Boudin.

I like braunschweiger sausage (commonly called goose liver, which it isn’t) because it’s blended up enough that it doesn’t taste like eating a chunk of liver.
I stand corrected on my stance with liver. I will not eat it in the Liver & Onions way, but I do likes me some Braunschweiger and Liverwurst.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #36
medic151
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sumner and wherever I can

I love liver. As a kid, I guess I was the weird one cause I love fried chicken livers with honey on them. Still do. Chicken E has the best ones that I have found if I don't cook them myself. I keep the deer livers now and fry them up as well. Wife loves them also.
medic151 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 10:55 AM   #37
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

Quote:

Bison Pate

•. Milk
• 1 small onion, minced
• 1 pound bison liver
• ½ teaspoon sea salt

INSTRUCTIONS
4. Garnish with some fresh herbs and serve with crackers, toasted bread or vegetable sticks.
This is the most intriguing recipe for liver I have ever seen (and I hate liver), but why the coconut oil? Why not just use all duck fat? Seems to me the coconut oil would impart a waxy texture and slightly tropical flavor that one might find off putting. Don’t use it enough to know, though.
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 12:02 PM   #38
NannySlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp63 View Post
Great idea!

Anyone know of a good place around Houston for Liver and Onions?? So I don’t screw up the cooking process….

Chicken Express… liver dipped in gravy with some serendipity.

NannySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 12:22 PM   #39
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

I love liver. The taste isn't strong or rank. The texture is different than steak. That and the thought of it being an organ is probably what puts some people off more than the flavor. It tastes really good though. Sliced thin and seared in bacon grease or butter and served with sautéed onions......YUM! Battered and fried is good too. Chicken liver, to me, has a stronger flavor than beef liver. But I still like it.
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 12:22 PM   #40
7sdad
Ten Point

7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 01:07 PM   #41
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

I use my mom's recipe for liver and onions.

Slice and soak the liver for 1 - 24 hours in milk. The longer, the better. It tenderizes it.
Fry up bacon.
In the bacon grease, sauté the sliced onion.

Take the sliced liver dredge it in a mixture of flour and black pepper. Lay carefully into hot bacon grease. Cook 3-5 minutes on each side and remove. (Overcooked liver is the worst thing on the planet.)

I like to make brown gravy to serve with it and if I'm going to make gravy then I'm going to make mashed potatoes.

And it looks exactly like 7sdad's photo.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 01:10 PM   #42
wilded
Ten Point

My dog eats liver.
wilded is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 01:21 PM   #43
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
This is the most intriguing recipe for liver I have ever seen (and I hate liver), but why the coconut oil? Why not just use all duck fat? Seems to me the coconut oil would impart a waxy texture and slightly tropical flavor that one might find off putting. Don’t use it enough to know, though.
It seems to me that the original recipe may have called for duck fat and for the life of me I don’t remember why I use coconut oil but it works. I guess it helps bind the pate’ together better but if it imparts any other flavor to it then it’s very subtle.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:17 PM   #44
Bowanta
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking in Texas and Franklin and Linn County (Unit 11), Kansas

salt and pepper some flour. Dredge the liver in the flour then place in a hot pan with oil. Brown both sides, remove it, add a touch more oil then sautee some onion, once the onion is almost clear add the liver and cover with a brown gravy and let it simmer until the liver is done.
Place Cooked White or Brown rice on the plate, add a slice of liver, the cover it with the gravy and onion...

Now I want Liver for Dinner...
Bowanta is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 04:12 PM   #45
spikebuck
Eight Point

Hunt In: Northeast Texas

Chicken fried chicken livers or calf liver and onions!
spikebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 04:24 PM   #46
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pow Pow!

Liver alone, cheese my seester
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 04:29 PM   #47
Dakota7493
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County

Only food that I’ve tried that I don’t like.
Dakota7493 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 04:31 PM   #48
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic151 View Post
I love liver. As a kid, I guess I was the weird one cause I love fried chicken livers with honey on them. Still do. Chicken E has the best ones that I have found if I don't cook them myself. I keep the deer livers now and fry them up as well. Wife loves them also.
I prefer Lisa's Chicken over Chicken E livers but they are both good. Same with the honey for me!
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 04:36 PM   #49
68rustbucket
Four Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntmaster View Post
the main reason I miss Luby's is because they had good liver n onions.
I agree!
68rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 04:36 PM   #50
68rustbucket
Four Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikebuck View Post
Chicken fried chicken livers or calf liver and onions!
Yep!
68rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top