Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save your pics from phones

Long story. I don't cloud pics

My son is on leave (Navy) and we took him out for a relaxing evening on Galveston Beach. We made a small BBQ, camp fire we BSd and threw a few lines out. About midnight we take off. Stupid me (because) I rarely have my phone out, either dropped it or it fell somewhere on the beach.

As we were leaving parked next to us was 2 guys with a metal detector treasure hunting. I almost stopped and asked them if they found anything but I didn't.

Next day (yesterday) I pinged it to an address in Galveston. Phone is locked but you can answer calls. After about 75 times calling it, it went off network. It's either off or broken.

Ticked off now because I have literally 8 or 9000 pics of my children we drove over there to go get it. I called Galveston Pd to let them know what I was doing and they said if I can prove it was there(ping) they would assist. Good because I have a alot to lose and of course don't feel like going to jail.

Ended up being a trap/crack type house (craphole) Pds words. Nobody home and just an old mattress in the back, not a family residence. I don't understand the connection between the treasure hunters and where it ended up. I'd had to be them because we drove back and tide was way up. The fire pit we had was 2feet under water when we drove back to look for it. I didn't ping it and maybe I should have but we were calling it the whole time. If they wanted to give it back they would have.

So stupid because I would have given the crackhead or treasure hunters $100 or more for it as a reward, it's locked, blacklisted and worthless to him or anyone but so valuable to me. It's now listed as stolen property and already have a new phone. Hopefully it turns up at att or a pawnshop.

My daughter sent a message not knowing they can't read it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220811-112632_Messages.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	25288665

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jaime1982; 08-11-2022, 11:11 AM.

I pay .99 cents a month for cloud storage. I’m sure you would now agree it’s worth it for family pics in the future

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      I pay .99 cents a month for cloud storage. I’m sure you would now agree it’s worth it for family pics in the future
      I have unlimited cloud but I'm extremely private and dont want to give up my rights to my pics. I wish I would have saved my pics every 6 months to my PC though.

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
        I have unlimited cloud but I'm extremely private and dont want to give up my rights to my pics. I wish I would have saved my pics every 6 months to my PC though.

That’s fine until ransomware takes over your computer like it did my wife’s. Thousands of pics she had downloaded to her computer and deleted off of her phone and camera. For $1000 in bitcoin they’d give us access. Took the hard drive and put it in the safe. Someday some nerd in his moms basement will solve ransomware and she can access her pics again. But I don’t negotiate with terrorist.

Sorry about your phone though. That sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post

about that - saving to PC - I had a hard drive go out and lost a few years of pictures that way. got a quote to disassemble and rebuild harddrive for about $2k in a "no guarantees" attempt to recover. Have not sprung for that so it sits in my closet as a sad paperweight. If I was confident in recovery I'd certainly pay that.

Unless you want to be a sys admin of a "RAID" setup, cloud is where it's at IMO. Plus you can pull them up on your phone at any time. Google costs me $2-3 a month.

Comment

Get yourself a portable hard drive and keep them there

Comment

Backup, backup, and backup again

Comment

Good luck. Lesson learned.

Comment

Yea. I have a new phone already but I honestly don't even care about the device. I only cared about the memories.

The pos had the chance to answer and give it back for a reward. They know dang right it's not theirs. It's literally worthless.

Wife was supportive and said she'd bail me out immediately if it came to it lol.

Dishonest people suck

Last edited by jaime1982; 08-11-2022, 01:52 PM.

Comment

I transfer mine to a external hard drive, no iCloud here.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                      That’s fine until ransomware takes over your computer like it did my wife’s. Thousands of pics she had downloaded to her computer and deleted off of her phone and camera. For $1000 in bitcoin they’d give us access. Took the hard drive and put it in the safe. Someday some nerd in his moms basement will solve ransomware and she can access her pics again. But I don’t negotiate with terrorist.

Sorry about your phone though. That sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      They were looking for the nudies you sent her.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                        They were looking for the nudies you sent her.
                        Lol, don't remind me. My pics were full of them

Comment

Man, I hate to hear stories like this. Hoping for a near miracle for you.

While backing up digital photos is important, it is likely more important to...PRINT! Nothing has stood the test of time like ink on paper. There will not be a link for your great grandkids to click to go see pictures of their great grandparents...I'm certain of it. We are taking more photos than at any point in history and are archiving to print less.

I have hundreds of thousands of photos on my hard drive(s). I still print as much as I can remember to do it. Even if they end up in a shoebox at the top of the closet, they have a greater chance of being around in 50 years than any other storage method.

Comment

The devil is good with computers and even very fast.

But Jesus saves!!

Comment

Originally posted by BBBGP View Post

But Jesus saves!!

In the cloud?

Comment

Working...
                              X