Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copperhead study

May have already been posted in the past
    Venomous snakes have been misunderstood and feared by humans for hundreds of years. The historic and current mischaracterization and demonization of snakes has led to widespread persecution and killings of […]

Great article! Thanks for posting, very good information.

Comment

That was a good read.

Comment

i don't know about that study; to me the most aggressive pit viper is the cotton mouth.
        and a copperhead will sit there and let you step on them and then bite the **** out of you.

just my life experience... had a few close calls but never been bitten by any venomous snake though.

Comment

Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
          i don't know about that study; to me the most aggressive pit viper is the cotton mouth.
          and a copperhead will sit there and let you step on them and then bite the **** out of you.

just my life experience... had a few close calls but never been bitten by any venomous snake though.
          I saw the study on the cottonmouth several years ago and can’t find it anywhere. It was actually on video and if I remember correctly it was about 30-45 min of the same type of stepping near, on and grabbing and very few did much in response. Now, absolutely exceptions to the rule and no doubt some are likely aggressive for one reason or another.

Comment

I grew up in an area that was casually named, "CopperHead County". That name had something to do with floods/burns along Denton Creek, back in the 1950's. Basically, the copperheads were killed in one area, or pushed to "CopperHead County".

I have dealt with them, all my life. They don't scare me, at all, but I am always looking for them, when I am poking around brush, trash, equipment, etc. My cousin and I used to catch them bare-handed, then move them out.

They are not aggressive, and they let you know they are there. If you uncover one, it will typically move enough, so you can see them.

Just like I don't kill coyotes, for no reason, I don't kill copperheads, that are not close to a dwelling. Both kill rats and mice, which are a bigger problem for me, as a rancher.

Dogs change the equation. I have a great Border Collie working dog. I finally got him to do snake avoidance, but before that, every snake was a target. I used the snakes we found, to teach him avoidance. It worked!

Comment

Off with their heads!

Comment

I kill every **** Copperhead I find on my place. My *** they won’t bite you!

Comment

Timber Rattlesnakes are the easiest going snake I've handled. They'll bite you don't get me wrong but there's a reason those religious snake handlers only handle Timber Rattlesnakes and Copperheads and not Prairie Rattlesnakes or Massasaugas. Because Timbers have an easy going temperament and Copperheads have the least toxic bite of any venomous snake in North America. They're not completely stupid they know this. A Copperhead bite is a lot easier to kick without medical treatment than a Mojave Green.

"The power of Jesus healed me." Yeah or your healthy immune system did. "This rattlesnake won't bite me because I have the holy spirit in me." Uh huh.....or it just doesn't want to bite you.
                  Last edited by okrattler; 07-12-2022, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                    Timber Rattlesnakes are the easiest going snake I've handled. They'll bite you don't get me wrong but there's a reason those religious snake handlers only handle Timber Rattlesnakes and Copperheads and not Prairie Rattlesnakes or Massasaugas. Because Timbers have an easy going temperament and Copperheads have the least toxic bite of any venomous snake in North America. They're not completely stupid they know this. A Copperhead bite is a lot easier to kick without medical treatment than a Mojave Green.

"The power of Jesus healed me." Yeah or your healthy immune system did. "This rattlesnake won't bite me because I have the holy spirit in me." Uh huh.....or it just doesn't want to bite you.
                    I was just gonna say the same thing about the Copperheads. It seems that when I've seen documentaries on the snake handlers, they've got Copperheads. Growing up in South Texas, I've never been around Timber Rattlers. I'd love to come across one some day. I do find them to be one of the more beautiful Rattlers. Not as pretty as a West Texas Blacktail, but still a very attractive animal!

Comment

I stepped on one last weekend. Had to check my shorts when it was all said and done. He lost his head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by El Viejo View Post
                        I was just gonna say the same thing about the Copperheads. It seems that when I've seen documentaries on the snake handlers, they've got Copperheads. Growing up in South Texas, I've never been around Timber Rattlers. I'd love to come across one some day. I do find them to be one of the more beautiful Rattlers. Not as pretty as a West Texas Blacktail, but still a very attractive animal!
                        They're definitely cool lookin. But I think that about a lot of snakes. They're all neat lookin in their own way. I think that's one thing that's fascinating about any reptile. There are a lot of pretty animals out there but if you look at it from the standpoint that I do I think it's easier to appreciate just how amazing they are. The details of their patterns and things like that. Some people go to an art gallery to see what they consider art. Snakes,lizards and turtles are a work of art if you really pay attention. They look like designs and random colors painted on them but they were made that way for a reason.

Take the Gaboon Viper for example. One of the most feared snakes of all time. Those leaf and banana shapes on its body were put there for a reason. Detail like that wasn't no accident. Some say snakes are a representation of Satan. But I think God put some of his finest detailed work on them. Seems to me he'd make something evil a lot less aesthetically appealing to look at if that were entirely true. When serpents were created they weren't just cobbled together.

I think if he'd have taken the time to make humans as perfect we'd all be pretty happy. He didn't spend a lot of time working on people. I think he was late for something when he created humans. No snake is mean by nature or without cause. It's just us that are that way.
                        Last edited by okrattler; 07-12-2022, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
                          Haha, I was thinking the same thing as I read it.

I've been lied to soo much lately I don't really know who / what to believe anymore, except what I've personally experienced.

Comment

these little suckers are satans spawn! landed me in ICU for 3 days. Kill em all with fire!

Click image for larger version

Name:	bite1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	24687362

Click image for larger version

Name:	ch1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	24687363

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
                              Yep...
                              I'm convinced Copperheads, haven't read the article....

Comment

Working...
                              X