School Me On Minerals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School Me On Minerals

I keep seeing sacks of double down minerals and I'm ignorant to their usage.

I've done some research and the claims make sense to me but I've never used any before and it's literally pouring money on the ground.

Who all mixes minerals into the dirt at your feed sites? I run 3 feeders so I don't want to spend several hundred if it's gimmicky.

Personally I think you have to experiment.
    My Leon co deer loved “trophy rock”.
    Up here in brown county, they lick it but no crazy.

I haven’t seen much use of the powdered minerals I poured out here

BP

Comment

The best minerals in a bag that I’ve ever used were the “30-06” minerals from Whitetail Institute. Everywhere I tried them (3 different properties) the deer went after them like a kid after ice cream. I had one spot that I stopped refreshing that still had deer and hogs working it a couple years later. I would clean off a place in the woods near a trail intersection and chop the dirt up in about a two foot circle, then pour the minerals on it. I’d then chop the dirt and minerals up and mix it as well as I could, smooth it out and leave it. Never had a spot that deer didn’t visit it and dig around in it.

Comment

Are the 30-06 minerals good nutritionally or just an attractant?
        Anyone?

Thanks

Comment

I'm referencing double down because they're what I saw that got me looking into it. I'm not necessarily wanting dd.

Their claim though is if you spread the minerals it'll essentially turn your entire feed site into a mineral block and as they eat your corn they'll pick up minerals when they lick the dirt.

I'm not even truly concerned with antler growth. If this is something I could do that does benefit the deer I'll likely do it. I don't do any other supplemental feeding. Feeding protein ain't in the budget.

Comment

From what I have read deer really need. Calcium and phosphorus at a 1 to 1 ratio. Several biologists recommended 12/12 mineral. I buy Lonestar cattle min 12/12

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
              From what I have read deer really need. Calcium and phosphorus at a 1 to 1 ratio. Several biologists recommended 12/12 mineral. I buy Lonestar cattle min 12/12
              Are these just blocks?

Comment

If their feed has the "mineral package" they claim, there is no need to buy a spreader and add it to your dirt.

Not knocking it, but its great marketing.

I utilize a loose mineral formulated for white-tailed deer only because i do not feed a pellet with a complete mineral package.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                  Are the 30-06 minerals good nutritionally or just an attractant?
                  Anyone?

Thanks
                  You can google the minerals and make your own decision, but I think deer know what’s best for them. I’ve used some minerals that they never touched. It’s best to put it in the ground though because that’s natural to them. I think that’s why some deer won’t eat protein pellets out of a feeder right away, it’s not natural. It took three years for deer here at home to eat protein and I had to keep mixing it with corn.

Comment

Ck with Duckhead78 on TBH, he has a min mix that beats anything commercially. Other than that a trace mineral block will do the job.

Comment

Probably don't need it but I top dress my cottonseed baskets w Antler King mineral.

Comment

I have recently starting this product, all the good stuff without the advertising.

southwesternlivestockmineral.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, southwesternlivestockmineral.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

I use Redmond #10 fine [ with garlic ] Its the exact same product as trophy rock from the exact same quarry just in granular and with no deer or marketing on the package a fraction of the cost. I pour a few pounds on the ground by every feeder before spring green up and let the deer use it free choice. Consumption is modest. Does it do any good? I don't know, but its cheap, something easy to do ,an off season project and I feel like I accomplished something .

Beyond that I have tried all the " deer minerals" and blocks ....more marketing than fact.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                            Are these just blocks?
                            no it is a loose mineral. Most Biologist I have talked to also agree deer are not really designed to lick from a block like cattle. they will but it isnt best

Comment

I've had deer lick a hole into the ground where a salt with trace mineral block has previously sat. It ain't magic. Animals crave mineral. How much you spend is your choice. I pay about $7 a block. You can also buy mineral in bags at any feed store.

Comment

Working...
                              X