No announcement yet.

Trapping season 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wytex, nothing like a bobcat to humble you!

Comment

We're really not targeting them quite yet but would have liked to catch one to check on prime.
      Him showing up mid day was a surprise but we have seen them out and about before during the day, mid morning and late afternoon.

I had a miss on a bobcat, nice print just off the pan. For an easy animal to catch they sure can humble you.
      Not sure what ours will bring this year so we may be keeping them.

Comment

Finally got some traps out yesterday, just 3 to start with.

First check revealed a digger

Now to figure out how to catch the digger

Comment

Trapping season 2021-2022

Never did much trapping but I’m going to give it a whirl this spring. The new lease property has a lot of coyotes and we need to cut em down before fawning season

Any tips for a beginner? My initial plan was to use snares sets along fence rows with a lure. There is livestock on the property so that’s why I figured stick to fence crossings. I thought to avoid the main trails and let the lure do its work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

canny make sure your fence crossings are not being used by deer

My other advice is to spend a lot of time at this place https://trapperman.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
              canny make sure your fence crossings are not being used by deer

My other advice is to spend a lot of time at this place https://trapperman.com/

That’s why I plan on not using the crossings. Instead just pick a spot and use a quality lure and try to draw the coyotes attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will try to get some pics this year instead of just watching from the sidelines this year. Going to set steel after this heat wave leaves. Good luck

GH-11 and violator go to lure and sole taker, widow maker for bait.

Comment

I got one here at the house that is a trickster.

Likes to dig traps up.

If I get a chance I am going to catch it with a little lead pill.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                    I got one here at the house that is a trickster.

Likes to dig traps up.

If I get a chance I am going to catch it with a little lead pill.
                    I have a JC Connor vid where he says to leave the set in place, but move the trap out farther from the lure/bait, and rebuild the set to look like it did after it was dug up. With the exception of the exposed trap, of course.
                    I hope that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                      I have a JC Connor vid where he says to leave the set in place, but move the trap out farther from the lure/bait, and rebuild the set to look like it did after it was dug up. With the exception of the exposed trap, of course.
                      I hope that makes sense.
                      I am employing a similar technique at one set but no luck so far

Comment

Took nearly a month but I think my "digger" finally made a mistake
                        Weight minus 3# gambrel put him at 44#
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6731.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	24673616

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6735.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	24673617

Comment

Had another beaver move into my bass pond and put out a 330 and a couple of legholds near recent tree activity. First night caught an otter in the bodygripper. Third night scored on a shallow water set near a willow he hadn't quite taken down. He decided to chew his entire foot off instead of staying in the 750. Haven't seen him or his damage since.

Comment

Not sure whether this is a signal that it is taking over or what

Caught big male mid last week and remade in catch cirlce

This is "WGI_4252.AVI" by B Lowry on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

Comment

BT that’s a big a** dark colored coyote! How’d you trick the ol digger?

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                                BT that’s a big a** dark colored coyote! How’d you trick the ol digger?
                                Unconventional methods I guess

I had a flat set that was where he started digging. I hid another trap as best as I could hoping he would step on it while messing with the other. I am running a game cam on the set and he did nothing like what they say they do (instead of peeing on the end of the old crosstie from out away from it he straddled it parrallel and peed on it for one)

I had some scraps from the rib roast we had on New Year's Eve so I drilled a hole with my auger straight down as deep as I could and dropped some smoky smelling chunks of fat down it and covered it with the end of the crosstie. Everything was exactly the same as it had been with exception of hole under end of crosstie.

From what I can tell he was interested in that and kept working around until he stepped in the trap

So I would say dumb luck on my part and carelessness on his

Comment

Working...
                                X