Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a bigger issue with FICA & SS
    There’s better ROIs then those
    At least with my property at times it’s disputable & you have some control and it’s tangible to enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
      It's really going to come to a head in 20-40 when the people with no retirement/pensions look at having yearly property taxes on the homes they have paid for exceed their social security.
      Exactly. Even with savings, when you are no longer making money, $6k or $10k or whatever really is a lot of money. Year after year. Just to be able to KEEP what you already "own"

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
        It's really going to come to a head in 20-40 when the people with no retirement/pensions look at having yearly property taxes on the homes they have paid for exceed their social security.
        Exactly
        The real estate market boost has driven tax value & insurance coverage up
        That fixed SS income will struggle to keep up

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
          I hate taxes as much as the next person but also realize they are a necessary evil. What I hate the most is property taxes. You can never pay everything off and have your living expenses be “free” minus your utilities.

I wonder what percentage sales tax would have to increase to offset property taxes? Y’all got any other ways to offset property taxes without going to state income tax?
          I think you answer your own question.

Does anyone not understand they don't want you to be free? Zero chance they'd allow us to pay off property AND choose to live off our own land/be cheap etc. and pay less in taxes.
          If they did a sales tax people would be able to choose that option.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
            I understand the volatility in consumer consumption but I'd even agree to a percentage point or two higher to offset that volatility. I've done the math on how much **** I'd have to buy every year to pay as much as I do in property taxes in additional sales tax. I don't even make that amount of money every year before taxes.
            LOL - I'm sure they would keep that 1-2% buffer in an account and not use it until it's really needed

Has any government agency ever said they have enough money so they don't need more?

Need to force them to focus on wasted spending IMO

Comment

Wait, wait, wait.. if you don't work and pay taxes on everything you own, where is the money going to come from to feed those that don't or can't work?

Comment

Control spending, stop pension/medical for politicians, increase sales tax, make churches pay their fair share and minimize tax deductions for corporations.

Comment

We'd wind up with a consumption tax AND more taxes in less that five years. To think they'd trade the current system for anything is a pipe dream. The government is a master at the fiscal shell game.

Comment

Don't get me started on cell phone taxes. 20+% !!!

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                      , where is the money going to come from to feed those that don't or won’t work?
                      Fify

Comment

A $300K house on $3,000,000 worth of agland is far cheaper on taxes than a $3,000,000 house on a $300K lot. One is $6k a year in taxes, the other is $60K/year...

If it were to change to a sales tax I might do lot and block.

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
                          Control spending, stop pension/medical for politicians, increase sales tax, make churches pay their fair share and minimize tax deductions for corporations.
                          What does this mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
                            Our county adds hundreds of homes a year to the tax rolls. Those homes are built on previous tax exempt land. This adds considerable money to the coffers and our officials never consider lowering the tax rate.
                            I have seen many of our elderly lose their homesteads over property taxes. It is sad to see 70, 80, and 90 year old folks still having to pay school taxes.
                            My home tax went down 66% when I hit 65...

Comment

i'd be all for eliminating all forms of tax in favor of a single consumption tax, but i don't trust the govt to follow the supposed law. they'd write exceptions and special circumstances until we're back to an incomprehensible mess just like we have now. if the tax code was simple they wouldn't be able to investigate us for no reason when they need to bring the power of the govt on us.

it would have to be a federal Constitutional amendment and even then they'd probably just try and redefine words to get what they want in the end. like how they're trying to redefine "recession" and "woman".

all that said, we need school choice vouchers. fund students not systems

Comment

The problem i see with consumption tax, is everyone would just start buying/ordering what they need (non perishables) from states with a lower tax rate.

Comment

Working...
                                X