TIG welding question(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TIG welding question(s)

I purchased a small TIG/Stick welder to have around the house.
    My old Miller AC cracker box has seen better days and ...well I just wanted a TIG
    Done a little TIG at work. OK for the most part.
    Done enough to know to NOT call myself a welder.
    Also have done some gas welding and I have a small MIG.

I have been practicing on some 3/16 flat stock. I'm rusty and with the very little I did know(?)...it's coming around.
    Machine set at 170 amps. 3/32 tungsten...blue if that makes a difference.
    I've been running Pulse. Some in Low, some in Hi(10-200hz) up to about 50%.
    Came with a WorldWide CK17 torch.
    Question: Is the torch supposed to get real hot in about 3-5 inches of bead?
    I know they make water cooled for a reason, but thought that may be for steady use.
    Is it because of stick out for Tungsten, arc length, ????
    Small torch, maybe just meant for real lite work?

Appreciate any real welders knowledge.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hpdrifter; 07-28-2022, 09:52 PM.

duh!?!?!

150 amp torch!

Comment

Running 170 amps seems like a whole lot of hot.
      Here at work, I’m running 70 to 85, depending on what I’m welding on.

Comment

That torch is only rated for 150 amps. Cut your amps down to 120-130. Let your sharpened tungsten hang out about 1/8" past the end of the Nozzle. Size of your Nozzle also Has to do with how much gas pressure for proper coverage. To much pressure can cause problems just like not enough.

Start your torch and gradually bring your heat up slowly till you see the puddle start to form.

Well, back to work for me. Lunch is over. I be flame-n on aluminum today.

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

And yes, air cooled torches feel hotter than water cooled.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
            That torch is only rated for 150 amps. Cut your amps down to 120-130. Let your sharpened tungsten hang out about 1/8" past the end of the Nozzle. Size of your Nozzle also Has to do with how much gas pressure for proper coverage. To much pressure can cause problems just like not enough.

Start your torch and gradually bring your heat up slowly till you see the puddle start to form.

Well, back to work for me. Lunch is over. I be flame-n on aluminum today.

I think that might be a problem, or the problem....?!
            I was under the impression you wanted a "quick" puddle.
            It's been a few years since I had done that so maybe I'd forgot that; probably never knew it.
            Probably give a lot better control. Seems I had to move along right fast and don't recall that being the case before.

Appreciate all the feedback, from everybody.

Comment

That set up will generate some heat in the torch you have (I have the same welder.) Dumb question, but what kind of gloves are you wearing? Sometimes it makes a difference, especially for the torch hand. You don't need oven mits, but a little insulation goes a long way!

On a side note, I am building a water cooler for my PrimeWeld, to increase my torch time for longer runs or on thicker stock.

cricman

Comment

Originally posted by cricman View Post
                That set up will generate some heat in the torch you have (I have the same welder.) Dumb question, but what kind of gloves are you wearing? Sometimes it makes a difference, especially for the torch hand. You don't need oven mits, but a little insulation goes a long way!

On a side note, I am building a water cooler for my PrimeWeld, to increase my torch time for longer runs or on thicker stock.

cricman
                I bought some tig gloves. Feels like straight leather with big cuffs.
                I got parts ordered to build a water cooler myself and a 20 sized torch. 250 amps is way more than the machine will do...and me.
                I don't think I'm happy unless I'm spending money!
                It sure doesn't take long for it to get hot, even at lower amp settings.
                What did you use for a tank/reservoir?

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                  Running 170 amps seems like a whole lot of hot.
                  Here at work, I’m running 70 to 85, depending on what I’m welding on.
                  actually I was welding 1/4" at first...or trying
                  Also was testing the "Pulse" out. I was under impression Pulse took more amps.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                    I bought some tig gloves. Feels like straight leather with big cuffs.
                    I got parts ordered to build a water cooler myself and a 20 sized torch. 250 amps is way more than the machine will do...and me.
                    I don't think I'm happy unless I'm spending money!
                    It sure doesn't take long for it to get hot, even at lower amp settings.
                    What did you use for a tank/reservoir?
                    I am using a 3 gallon poly reservoir from Amazon with a couple of through bulkhead fittings, a cpu radiator with two Dayton axial flow fans, and moving fluid with a Procon pump. I am hoping to get it working in the next week or so.

cricman

Comment

I got the cpu radiator myself.
                      Went with a walmart tupperware thingy for the reservoir; 16 cup, and the bulkhead fittings.
                      I'm gonna try a 12$ fuel pump first; 10 psi and about a liter/minute.
                      If that doesn't work, there's a in tank fuel pump($15) that puts out 43 psi and a couple of liter/min.
                      Gonna get fancy and put a flow/rotometer on it; most expensive item next to the radiator.

Comment

Working...
                      X