No announcement yet.

2022 Food Plot Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My plots on the lease burned up by the third week in June. The buckwheat here at home didn’t last that long. The **** hogs literally pulled it up by the roots and ate stalk and all. Never seen that before ! I guess they’re desperate, pretty hard to make a living if you’re a hog right now.

Comment

Some of ya'lls plots look amazing. Congrats gents.

This will be our first year on food plots and quite frankly, I am just as interested in finding success on the Fall food plots as I am about hunting.....crazy I know. Steep learning curve for me.

For my new Fall pots, going to hopefully hit them with Gly this weekend. Nothing on plots right now, have run the disc and chisel plow in some of the areas several weeks ago. Schedule is going to keep me from the lease until mid to late August.

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
        Some of ya'lls plots look amazing. Congrats gents.

This will be our first year on food plots and quite frankly, I am just as interested in finding success on the Fall food plots as I am about hunting.....crazy I know. Steep learning curve for me.

For my new Fall pots, going to hopefully hit them with Gly this weekend. Nothing on plots right now, have run the disc and chisel plow in some of the areas several weeks ago. Schedule is going to keep me from the lease until mid to late August.
        Good luck and look forward to seeing your success. Untill we get out of this dry period I’m not planting anything except my fat butt in front of the TV.

Comment

Recently bulldozed a new plot(Cross Timbers Region) and was wondering some good strategies for establishing it this fall. It is 2 acres on a gently slope. I plan on keeping it covered year around with a fall/spring rotation using minimal tillage when possible. There is a small sandy/eroded section I want to build soil on. What are some good planting strategies/seed mixes? Thanks for any advice!

Comment

Originally posted by Gusdeets53 View Post
            Recently bulldozed a new plot(Cross Timbers Region) and was wondering some good strategies for establishing it this fall. It is 2 acres on a gently slope. I plan on keeping it covered year around with a fall/spring rotation using minimal tillage when possible. There is a small sandy/eroded section I want to build soil on. What are some good planting strategies/seed mixes? Thanks for any advice!
            Plant cereal grains this fall- wheat oats rye along with crimson and ladino clover. In the late spring crimp the crop to terminate it and that thatch will build the soil, help prevent weeds, hold moisture in as well as reducing erosion. Broadcast forage soybeans, iron/clay cowpeas along with some sun hemp or milo for your summer crop. Shred in fall and replant the cereals/clovers and keep repeating. You will build up the soil putting those crops back into the soil

Comment

Ive purchased a property in eastern Oklahoma. what do yall plant in areas with lots of rock and boulders?

Ive cleared some food plots sizes from 1/2 acre to as big as 2 acres. I haven't prepped the plots yet and still need to clean them up a little. they do contain quite a few rocks and some smaller boulders.

I also have a big utility powerline running through 1/2 mile of the property id like to plant, but its loaded with boulders.

any tips for planting around the rock?

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

NTX - maybe cereral rye ? Folks claim it will grow in the back of your truck with water.

Comment

Originally posted by NTXoutdoors View Post
                  Ive purchased a property in eastern Oklahoma. what do yall plant in areas with lots of rock and boulders?

Ive cleared some food plots sizes from 1/2 acre to as big as 2 acres. I haven't prepped the plots yet and still need to clean them up a little. they do contain quite a few rocks and some smaller boulders.

I also have a big utility powerline running through 1/2 mile of the property id like to plant, but its loaded with boulders.

any tips for planting around the rock?

[IMG][/IMG]
                  Cereal rye (elbon rye) is a great food plot starter. It really will grow in anything. As far as the rocks, I would just broadcast it in front of a rain and run a drag harrow over it. It's that simple usually. Then you can broadcast buckwheat into it in May or June, mow over top of it, then you will have a good jump start for what you want to do in the fall. Google Lick Creeks food plot mix. Takes very little equipment.

Get a soil test so you know what you are working with.

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
                    NTX - maybe cereral rye ? Folks claim it will grow in the back of your truck with water.

I had a bunch of seed that fell underneath my winch in my side by side frame. Left it out in the rain to clean off some dust and parked it in the barn with the door shut (very little light). I had 6" of rye growing out of it a month later.

Comment

Working...
                    X