Snake boots vs. Gaitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake boots vs. Gaitors

Never had snake boots. Always have had gaitors, which of course don't protect the top of the foot. I always wear leather boots, but unsure if a rattler, copperhead, or water mocassin could bite through the leather. Kind of got to thinking about it. I'm too old to loose a leg to snake bite and then have to pirate peg leg myself around. Might interfere with my retirement gig working as a Sonic carhop.

What are your thoughts on snake boots vs. snake gaitors, and the odds of a snake biting through leather boots?

Snake can’t get through leather so the top of your foot Is safe. I’d rather have gaiters

Comment

They can't even bite through regular work boots. The snake boots are just taller so they're better for bigger snakes. If your in South Texas I'm gonna say neither. I've seen rattlesnakes from down that way that wouldn't bite through snake boots or gaitors. They'd bite over them.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
        They can't even bite through regular work boots. The snake boots are just taller so they're better for bigger snakes. If your in South Texas I'm gonna say neither. I've seen rattlesnakes from down that way that wouldn't bite through snake boots or gaitors. They'd bite over them.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post

Neither? That’s a little overstated. Just because a few might be big enough to get over doesn’t mean the other 99% won’t be stopped by boots or gaiters …

OP… if you look at many styles of snake boots including the popular Chippewas… the lowers are leather. Wearing leather boots with your gaiters will be fine.

Comment

I have worn both on a limited base. I don't think a snake can bite through regular boots. I bought a pair of Cabela's snake boots that are more comfortable than my regular boots just a little hotter.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              Neither? That’s a little overstated. Just because a few might be big enough to get over doesn’t mean the other 99% won’t be stopped by boots or gaiters …

OP… if you look at many styles of snake boots including the popular Chippewas… the lowers are leather. Wearing leather boots with your gaiters will be fine.
              What i meant was I'd get full length protection snake chaps if I was walking around in the brush down there. Those would be the best thing to wear. If I ever go snake huntin down there that's what I'm getting anyways.

To answer which is best snake boots or gaitors. They'll both stop a snakes fangs. So it's whatever you like best.
              Last edited by okrattler; 07-13-2022, 06:40 AM.

Comment

These used to be made by Tiemann's of Texas in Priddy, but they sold the line to these folks. I have a pair that were my dad's from Tiemann's. I like them better than gaitors because they aren't as tight on my legs and protect a little higher. I've never had snake boots though.

Original Tiemann's of Texas design Snake Chaps made by Republic BrandPLEASE call or email to order and for estimated production time. Sizes: Measure around the thigh 3" above knee and add 3". Regular 23" tall x 23" Slender 23" tall x 21" Husky 23" tall x 26" Colors: Coyote Brown Hunter Orange Realtree EDGE

Comment

The only time I bird hunted in South Texas I wore snake chaps. Hotter than hell but we killed 24 rattlers hunting all day Saturday and until 10:00 Sunday morning I never felt I was going overboard !

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
                    Never had snake boots. Always have had gaitors, which of course don't protect the top of the foot. I always wear leather boots, but unsure if a rattler, copperhead, or water mocassin could bite through the leather. Kind of got to thinking about it. I'm too old to loose a leg to snake bite and then have to pirate peg leg myself around. Might interfere with my retirement gig working as a Sonic carhop.

What are your thoughts on snake boots vs. snake gaitors, and the odds of a snake biting through leather boots?
                    You could then work at IHOPS !!

Comment

[quote=El General;16297488]These used to be made by Tiemann's of Texas in Priddy, but they sold the line to these folks. I have a pair that were my dad's from Tiemann's. I like them better than gaitors because they aren't as tight on my legs and protect a little higher. I've never had snake boots though.

Any issues with them riding up?

Comment

Working...
                      X