Sleeping Bag Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleeping Bag Question

My son and I are going camping at Garner State Park this weekend. We'll be camping in tents. The wife got him a sleeping bag rated for 40°F. Temps might get into the low 30s. You think he'll be good in that sleeping bag?

My initial rxn is no. My suggestion would be to have your kid sleep in sweats or PJs and socks. That should keep him toasty.

Comment

Take some base layers and a fleece blanket to add inside the sleeping bag. Don’t sleep
      With a bunch of clothes on…you have to let some heat escape to warm up the inside of the bag.

I would put a blanket between the bag and tent floor.

Be sure to pack some warm socks and a beanie. Lots of warmth escapes thru your head.

Comment

Take some extra blankets. He will need them.

Comment

can you return it and get a better one? Or have a little buddy heater in the tent?

if no to both questions, then as already said; "sleep in sweats or PJs and socks"

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
            Take some base layers and a fleece blanket to add inside the sleeping bag. Don’t sleep
            With a bunch of clothes on…you have to let some heat escape to warm up the inside of the bag.

I would put a blanket between the bag and tent floor.

Be sure to pack some warm socks and a beanie. Lots of warmth escapes thru your head.
            Definitely this. I always strip down to undies, seems warmer that way and we camp into the single digits. I'm always colder if I wear any clothes in the sleeping bag except socks and beanie. If he needs extra warmth a regular blanket from home thrown over the sleeping bag will do the trick.

Comment

In many cases bags are rated for comfort levels in degrees. So a 40 degree bag will start becoming uncomfortable (cold) in temps below 40 degrees. A 40 degree bag is pretty light. He will be chilly if temps go below freezing, but he won’t die. Lots of times on my hikes the need is to sleep with everything on… but that’s no fun for a weekend getaway. I would steeer you to a 30 degree bag.

Comment

I have used a old cotton tarp before for a bedroll. Just used it as a blanket on my sleeping bag and i sleep like a baby. minimal clothes required in the sleeping bag, the tarp retains the warmth in the bag. Overseas, i used body bags to cover my sleeping bag and i always stayed warm.

Comment

If that's the comfort rating, he may be a little cold but won't die. If that's the survival rating, get another bag.

Comment

I think he will be cold. Just as important as the bag is the ground pad with an appropriate R value. When I camp in the 30s I use my pad with an R value of 4.

Comment

My general rule of thumb is that the advertised rating on a bag (particularly budget priced bags) are 10 degrees less than what is actually going to be a comfortable night's sleep unless he's a particularly warm sleeper. I'd wager a guess that unless he's wearing a lot of layers to sleep, he's going to be cold in anything under 50 degrees in that bag by the time dawn rolls around. A lot will also depend on the surface he's sleeping on and how well it is or isn't insulated. For reference, I'm pretty tolerant of cold, but I'll be a bit chilly in my 20 degree bag when temps are around freezing unless I'm on a good insulated pad and wearing some merino base layers.

Comment

They sell different liners that will increase the temperature rating. Could do a fleece one. Somewhere like rei will have them. I would probably try to get a better/lower temp bag. If too hot you can always unzip it. If freezing you are screwed.

Comment

Put fresh socks on before bed. You would be surprised how much moisture worn socks will hold. No air mattress. It will suck the heat right out of you.

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
                            Put fresh socks on before bed. You would be surprised how much moisture worn socks will hold. No air mattress. It will suck the heat right out of you.
                            Oh man, this is a solid point! Whatever you do… get out of your hiking/day clothes at end of day. Do not stay in clothes that you sweated in. At best, that’s a recipe for being cold and clammy and at worst, hypothermia.

Comment

As mentioned, 40F bag is not going to be warm enough for 30F weather.
                              A good liner, using two sleeping bags, a better rated bag or a buddy heater are your options.

Comment

Working...
                              X