Small Outboard Input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Outboard Input

Looking to get a replacement 25hp outboard for our aluminum boat. Currently have a 1986 Mercury that hasn’t run in about 12 years. I’ve put $150 into it and still not running. I hate to put any more into something that old.

Looking at replacements, I’m looking at 4 strokes. Any thoughts on Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu, or Mercury? This will be just for running trot lines and river fishing.

Thanks,
    Skooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a 25hp yamaha and loved it. A few buddies and I have now bumped to 40-50hp Tohatsu's and really like them. My brother in law loves his 40 mercury.

I dont think you can go wrong with any that you mentioned. If I was going 4 stroke I would definitely go Tohatsu or Mercury more than likely. Then it would be down to which dealer was the closet in case I need some maintenance on it.

Comment

Any idea whats wrong with the Mercury? Those are great motors.

As for your list, I believe youll be just fine with any mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I bought a new Tohatsu 30 hp for a 1648 riveted boat last year. Very pleased with the motor and it's performance.

Comment

Even if you were to put another $150 into your old motor you would be way ahead.
          The prices of motors these days is insane, and those old motors will run forever if maintained and they are fairly simple to work on. Just my 2 ctns.

Comment

I've got a Yamaha 25 that's a few years old. Electric start with backup pull, efi so no issues with carbs, 4 stroke so no need to mix fuel. Been happy with it on a 1548. Wouldn't second guess any of the brands, but any of them are $$$ so they better be good.

Comment

Hard to go wrong with the yamahas, but I've also heard good things about the Tohatsus. I would also consider going with whatever brand has a dealer nearby just in case for warranty work and parts. Even just finding oil filters and water impellers can be a pain.

Comment

If going new go Tohatsu , you won’t be disappointed .

Comment

Buy the one that has the best service available close to you. It stinks to have to drive a couple hours for parts and service. If you have a really good dealer close to where you live buy whatever they sell, even if you are shopping for a used motor.

All of the major brands are making good motors right now. Especially small motors. Yamaha, Mercury, Suzuki and Tohatsu are all good motors.

Comment

My son has a 86 Yamaha 25 hp that he bought off here, put a new carb kit in it after having issues with running. I think I paid 30 bucks for it, and it runs top notch now. If you haven't done it, I would.

Comment

I'd add in Honda too. I had a 50hp 4 stroke Honda once that was a super good motor.

Comment

As far as outboards under 50hp, most of the major brands come off the same assembly line over seas. There's not many problems with most of them other than the Evinrudes that are an EFI. I use to have 25 Suzuki 4 stroke that ran great and only burn 1 gallon per hour of running. Your problem is probably carburetor/fuel related. If you haven't already I'd look into a rebuilding the carb.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I’m pretty sure it is fuel related. I’ve already replaced some electrical components to get spark to the plugs. The biggest challenge I’m having is finding parts. I called a couple of local shops, and they won’t even work on them. I wanted to buy a complete replacement carb, but they are no longer available.

I’m also to the place where I’m putting a value on my time, so I don’t have a lot of time to tinker with it.

Skooter

Comment

Boats.net should have it.

Stone and Sons marine in Houston might too.

Comment

Originally posted by skooter View Post
                              Thanks everyone. I’m pretty sure it is fuel related. I’ve already replaced some electrical components to get spark to the plugs. The biggest challenge I’m having is finding parts. I called a couple of local shops, and they won’t even work on them. I wanted to buy a complete replacement carb, but they are no longer available.

I’m also to the place where I’m putting a value on my time, so I don’t have a lot of time to tinker with it.

Skooter

PM sent.

Comment

Working...
                              X