Another pond question or 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another pond question or 3

I did post this over at PondBoss but why not post here as well?

So my 1/2 acre pond has completely dried out this fall.

I don't have an excavator but I do haver a FEL and I thought I might clean out the bottom.
    The bottom has cracks a foot deep. Is that an indication of how far down I can dig it out?
    Any suggestions of things I should do now before the rains hopefully return in the spring?
    Will digging it deeper help with evaporation?

The cracks tell you about how deep your tractor will sink.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      What Dale said! I wouldn’t try it but if you do, make sure there is a bigger tractor close by to get yours out when it sinks.

Comment

Its been dry for a long time but you may be right.

Comment

It will be wet probably 4+ feet deep. you can take a probe and test it

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
            Its been dry for a long time but you may be right.
            I’m afraid Dale May be right there Art. I’d have a neighbor close by with the means to pull you out real quick and in a hurry like IF Dale is right. Preferably a neighbor with a BIGGER tractor. 😂

But hey.....life is full of risks. Sometimes you just gotta go for it. 👌

Comment

You need some clay in the bottom of that thing. I “almost” wish I had your problem. I’m struggling with all the overflow from my pond.

Comment

I would definitely try it anyway.

Comment

Just start at the edge of the tank and dig down till you hit firm soil. Excavate a small area first and try to keep your wheels always on firm ground. Dont get to brave thinking the tank bottom is dry, you will sink through the dry upper crust into the wet silt below. Start at the shallow end first and work toward the deep end, shallow end should be drier. You might be surprised how much dirt a front end loader can remove, and semi wet silt is HEAVY. The deeper you get it, the less chance of it going dry, unless it leaks out. It dont take many bucket loads of dirt to run out of places to put it.

Comment

I would check on a weekly rental on a dragline

Comment

The only place I have ever stuck my 4 wheeler was trying to drive across a "dried up" pond...It had deep cracks in the silt too...

Comment

Exactly! Or double that depth

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                          The only place I have ever stuck my 4 wheeler was trying to drive across a "dried up" pond...It had deep cracks in the silt too...
                          I had a Ford F150 4X4 in College. Drove into a "Dry" tank with foot deep cracks. It was up to the frame in no time. I thought I was never going to get the truck out.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                            I would check on a weekly rental on a dragline
                            Then rent it for two weeks because it’s gonna take a week to learn how to half-assed run it !

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
                              Just start at the edge of the tank and dig down till you hit firm soil. Excavate a small area first and try to keep your wheels always on firm ground. Dont get to brave thinking the tank bottom is dry, you will sink through the dry upper crust into the wet silt below. Start at the shallow end first and work toward the deep end, shallow end should be drier. You might be surprised how much dirt a front end loader can remove, and semi wet silt is HEAVY. The deeper you get it, the less chance of it going dry, unless it leaks out. It dont take many bucket loads of dirt to run out of places to put it.
                              I'm pretty tempted to do this. As to storing the dirt I'm planning to till it into my food plots. Gotta be better than the dry rocky stuff i got now.

Comment

Working...
                              X