Good first vehicle for 16yr old son.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good first vehicle for 16yr old son.

With the vehicle prices the way they are, a bicycle is looking more and more promising . Boy turns 16 in August........What kills me is some of his friends are driving brand new 3/4 ton diesels. And I know what there parents do for a living. Guess people are just in debt to the gills.

I shopped around and found a good deal on 2012 F150 FX4 with 80k. Deals are out there you just have to look for them.

edit.. 2 years later and it is still running like a champ with no issues. knock on wood

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
      I shopped around and found a good deal on 2012 F150 FX4 with 80k. Deals are out there you just have to look for them.

edit.. 2 years later and it is still running like a champ with no issues. knock on wood
      From a dealership, and what'd you end up giving?

Comment

He can do without 4WD. I didn't have it, and still managed to get into plenty of trouble. I think he has a better head on his shoulders then I did at that age. Get's it from his mother......

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
          From a dealership, and what'd you end up giving?
          Yes dealership 18.5k cash out the door. It was the best deal I had found but it was also precovid. With prices the way they are now, I could probably sell it and make money but then I would have to find another one for him.

Comment

A tank?

My folks gave me a year old truck when I got my license. Although I appreciate now I didn't back then and didn't take care of it at all. My kids will get beater trucks and learn to fix them. We have a super clean 97 silverado we keep at the lake I keep saying my oldest is going to drive but it's going to kill me if he trashes it.

Comment

A beater that he can learn to work on. You can be sure that a young man is going to tear up a truck, mud, jumping tail road tracks, fender benders, pealing out, donuts etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
                A beater that he can learn to work on. You can be sure that a young man is going to tear up a truck, mud, jumping tail road tracks, fender benders, pealing out, donuts etc.
                LMAO......... Jumping tail aint never trashed my truck.....well maybe the seat cover

Comment

We bought my youngest son a truck off of here almost 2 years ago. 2004 Ram 1500 quad cab with 4.7 v8 in great condition. Had 250,000 miles on it. Not one issue with it almost 2 years later and still runs and drives great. A/C, heat and everything worked and still does. Paid $2500 for it. No doubt I could get $4500 to $5000 tomorrow if I wanted. Its nicer than my first truck I guarantee you that.

Comment

Toyota Tacoma

Comment

We bought our son(s) a '95 Jeep YJ. It ticked off a number of marks. It was cool enough for them. They learned how to drive a stick shift. None of their friends know how to drive manual so I didn't have to worry about them loaning it out. Texting and driving is **** near impossible. Speeding on the highway wasn't going to happen. It was easy on the pocketbook. They both ended up at the same college so I just hauled it down there and also gave them our 2002 Suburban so they could come home when they wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
                        Yes, plus they are more than likely to get into a fender bender or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stickers View Post
                          LMAO......... Jumping tail aint never trashed my truck.....well maybe the seat cover
                          You weren’t doin it right. Some of us wanted to have repeat customers.

Comment

When my son turned 16 four years ago we bought him a 97 Chevy Z71 for his first vehicle we paid $2500 for it. I had the exact same truck for 15 years and knew it was a reliable vehicle and I could do repairs on it if needed. He turned 20 today and is still driving it with 162,000 miles on the odometer.

Comment

My soon to be 16 yo is getting my 03 2500hd 6.0 gasser. He and I have been tinkering with it for about a year to get it all fixed up to his liking. It's been super cheap for most things and more importantly we've enjoyed doing it together. She has 140k and has been a fantastic truck since the day I bought it new.

Comment

Working...
                              X