Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-30-2022, 07:17 AM   #1
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Default 2022 Texas Drought approaching 2011 levels

Drovers Link: Texas Drought Approaching 2011ís Historic Levels

The graphic is pretty telling.

By GREG HENDERSON June 29, 2022
More than 45% of the contiguous US is currently in drought, with many parts of the southwest experiencing severe, extreme or exceptional drought. And no state has it worse than Texas.

Officials say 2022 is already one for the record books in Texas, with more than 80% of the state facing drought conditions most of the year. Comparisons are already being made to the drought of 2011, with some believing this year could eclipse 2011 as the stateís worst.

About 17% of all land in Texas is experiencing ďexceptionalĒ drought, the highest such figure for late June since 2011. That year, over 70% of the stateís land experienced ďexceptionalĒ drought in late June.

The driest year on record for Texas was 2011, causing an estimated $7.62 billion in crop and livestock losses.

New data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration shows there is a reason for Texans to be concerned about the weather this year: Last month tied for the warmest May on record in the state, along with May 2018. The early heat was followed by more drought.

The wide-spread drought in West Texas has already surpassed some 2011 records. Midland, Tex., had its driest period on record from September 2021 to May 31, when it received only 8% of its normal rainfall. The second driest was in 2011.

In the same time period, Lubbock experienced its seventh-driest time on record overall, but the driest since 2011. Lubbock also had six days reach 100 degrees or higher from March through May ó tying for the third-highest number of 100-degree days in those months in Lubbockís records, going back to 1914.

Texas can expect more of the same in the season ahead, the lead meteorologist for the stateís principal grid-management agency reported on June 21, the first day of summer.

Itís ďclose to a lockĒ that Summer 2022 in Texas will be hotter than last yearís summer, the forecaster, Chris Coleman, told ERCOTís board. In the immediate prelude to the just-starting summer, May 2022 was hotter in Texas than May 2011, Coleman added.
Attached Images

Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 07:22 AM   #2
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

This summer has had a "2011" feel to it for a while now
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 07:27 AM   #3
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Yes, it has.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:46 AM   #4
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

This drought is bad. Hill Country rivers/creeks are the lowest I have seen since 2011. Some already being deemed unsafe to swim due to bacteria in the water.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 07:53 AM   #5
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop

We're definitely in bad shape. Thank the Lord we got some decent rains here this week. 2.5" and the ground was hard again in two days. Soaked it up quick. I decided to hold off on selling a big chunk of cattle today in hopes that it greeens up a little and buys me a little more time to get some age on these calves.
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 07:59 AM   #6
texasag05
Six Point

2011 was rough on a lot of folks and this is setting up to be just as bad or worse.
texasag05 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 08:46 AM   #7
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

We’ve been due for a while now. Already took our calves to the sale barn. Broke even on them.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 08:52 AM   #8
rut-ro
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Getting bad. Luckily our stock tanks are full and we bailed enough hay last year for this year as well. We have cut hay twice this year so we have a good start for next year too.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 08:53 AM   #9
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

It doesn't help that last summer was the wettest and coolest summer I've felt in Houston since I moved here.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 08:55 AM   #10
offthemap
Ten Point

Hunt In: Houston, Anderson, Cherokee, Smith, Knox, Foard

In 2011 that wreaked havoc on the hardwood timber in east texas and made them susceptible to disease in the years after. We lost a ton of mature oaks n 2013-14 because of it.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to stay ahead of that with the trees around my house with mineral or fertilizer supplements?
offthemap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 09:02 AM   #11
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Our little stock tank in the front of our place is getting very shallow here in Huntsville. Down 2-3 ft already and i can easily wade across it. Its only 3 ft deep in the middle currently. We bought this place in 2020 so this is our first bad summer on it given how nice last year was.

Our hay guy bailed on us (no pun intended) due to fuel prices. So we are left with buying hay for the horses. The standing grass isnít lasting long. Luckily, our steers are due for slaughter next month and one of the horses is going to Elite Auctions in Navasota next month as well.

Might look at getting a few steers next spring if the drought brings prices down a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 09:22 AM   #12
Bisch
Pope & Young

Itís as bad as I could ever imagine at my place near Sonora!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 09:56 AM   #13
Radar
Pope & Young

Hay gonna be high dollar this year, I might get one cuttin off my field and it won't amount to much. I hate this type of weather cause it brings on bad flooding later on.

I got a bumper crop of Mustang grapes that are right sweet but they dry out on the vines real quick. Got more Mesquite beans than normal this year too. Not one of my food plots sprouted either, 500.00 in seed wasted.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 10:14 AM   #14
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Radar - I've seen most hay running $80-$120 per round ($200 / ton avg.)

I've been fortunate that I have some good grass right now and can hold off selling my calves until next week. It is the cows and remaining grass that has me worried.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:17 AM   #15
Bear82
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kaufman where there is no deer

I'm a believer in the old timers I heard at a country cafe once. They mentioned 7 years rain then 7 years drought. That saying seems to be more accurate than meteorologists.
Bear82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 10:18 AM   #16
czechgrubworm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Glad I just have four cows and purchased 22 more round bales. Thanks for this to keep our eyes open
czechgrubworm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 10:29 AM   #17
jdg13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Someplace, TX

My place in weimar looks bout as bad as it did in 2011. Pond is low, grass is just burnt. Don't even have cows and it looks terrible. I feel for you guys with livestock.
jdg13 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 11:29 AM   #18
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

I've been watching the Texas River systems as usual. The lakes on the Colorado are in pretty bad shape. The Brazos system is all low with many of the smaller lakes really showing just how much. The Trinity peojects are a bit low. But most of the lakes can survive with what they have now. Some are still releaseing water even though they are low. Canyon, on the Guadalupe, is getting lower. But minute amounts of water are still being released to keep the current and system flushed. East Texas has it the best right now.

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 12:35 PM   #19
SabineHunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
I've been watching the Texas River systems as usual. The lakes on the Colorado are in pretty bad shape. The Brazos system is all low with many of the smaller lakes really showing just how much. The Trinity peojects are a bit low. But most of the lakes can survive with what they have now. Some are still releaseing water even though they are low. Canyon, on the Guadalupe, is getting lower. But minute amounts of water are still being released to keep the current and system flushed. East Texas has it the best right now.

Is Toledo Bend down a lot?
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 01:36 PM   #20
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Luckily we are not as bad off here in East Tx as other parts of the state
One other thing to factor on big mature trees around your homes if they die or start looking dead Id cut them down
Once we get fall transition weather with high winds those dead trees will start dropping large limbs or topple into structures, vehicles or homes
With market value of homes & insurance premiums & cost to repair or replace is gonna further hit the pocket book
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 01:39 PM   #21
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineHunter View Post
TB is down 2.13 feet. But it's also not listed on the ACE District website for river water activity. There is a cumulative report done for most bodies of water in the state. It is updated once every 24 hours. Not in real time reports like what can be got from the ACE District sight. ACE manages lots of projects. But has a primary objective of flood control on major rivers.

Old 06-30-2022, 02:09 PM   #22
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthemap View Post
In 2011 that wreaked havoc on the hardwood timber in east texas and made them susceptible to disease in the years after. We lost a ton of mature oaks n 2013-14 because of it.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to stay ahead of that with the trees around my house with mineral or fertilizer supplements?

Soaker hoses around the trees at the drip line
Old 06-30-2022, 02:18 PM   #23
Mbbriggs05
Eight Point

Hunt In: Orange, Newton, Sabine, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
TB is down 2.13 feet. But it's also not listed on the ACE District website for river water activity. There is a cumulative report done for most bodies of water in the state. It is updated once every 24 hours. Not in real time reports like what can be got from the ACE District sight. ACE manages lots of projects. But has a primary objective of flood control on major rivers.

You can go here https://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?site_no=08025350 for info on Toledo. It updates every 6hours if I recall correctly
Mbbriggs05 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 02:21 PM   #24
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogHunter34 View Post
Luckily we are not as bad off here in East Tx as other parts of the state
One other thing to factor on big mature trees around your homes if they die or start looking dead Id cut them down
Once we get fall transition weather with high winds those dead trees will start dropping large limbs or topple into structures, vehicles or homes
With market value of homes & insurance premiums & cost to repair or replace is gonna further hit the pocket book
Would you come over and cut this one on the edge of my yard ? I just remarked last week to my wife that the post oak out there looked pretty sick, and this morning I noticed all the leaves were yellow.

I did some mowing this morning in back and all the native browse is withered up. The leaves on my American Beautyberries look like a canoe !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 02:23 PM   #25
TexasTK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit County & Beyond

Worse than 2011 at my place in Dimmit. Going on 9 months w less than 2"
100-105 degrees everyday is just brutal
Going to find out how much of an impact protein & cottonseed has on antler growth.
Most of the young cedar elms, hackberry, persimmon, & guajillo on south end of my ranch never put on leaves & alot of the trees appear to be dead.
TexasTK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 02:28 PM   #26
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineHunter View Post
Not even close to where it was in 2011. It is right about where it usually is this time of year.
breederbuck33 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 02:51 PM   #27
sboudreaux
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kimble County

Looks like most of the East Texas lakes are still doing fine.

https://waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/statewide
sboudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 03:00 PM   #28
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
You can go here https://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?site_no=08025350 for info on Toledo. It updates every 6hours if I recall correctly
Yah, USGS gets thier info from ACE. I do use the USGS site for various reasons. Sometimes water is one of them.

A simple Texas site for most water bodies in Texas. It's updated every 24hrs from various sources.
https://www.waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/statewide

ACE Ft Worth District river release reports per project with project info.
https://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/cg...srf=FxmZTWV5Ds

I've got a bunch of other sites bookmark on my desktop that I don't have access to at the moment.

Old 06-30-2022, 03:08 PM   #29
stickemhard3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County & Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Hay gonna be high dollar this year, I might get one cuttin off my field and it won't amount to much. I hate this type of weather cause it brings on bad flooding later on.

I got a bumper crop of Mustang grapes that are right sweet but they dry out on the vines real quick. Got more Mesquite beans than normal this year too. Not one of my food plots sprouted either, 500.00 in seed wasted.
I just got 34 bales off my 10 acre place and the guy that bales said he can sell them tomorrow for $50/bale but could get $75/bale if I held onto them another month. I dont fertilize and I dont spray. Primarily a tax write off and help out family members giving them cheap hay. Hopefully I get another cut and can pay for some of this deer lease feed bill
stickemhard3 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 04:15 PM   #30
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Would you come over and cut this one on the edge of my yard ? I just remarked last week to my wife that the post oak out there looked pretty sick, and this morning I noticed all the leaves were yellow.

I did some mowing this morning in back and all the native browse is withered up. The leaves on my American Beautyberries look like a canoe !
I need some fire wood
My dang saw though needs sharpening
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 04:46 PM   #31
Muskles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

Growing a garden this year for the second time. Grew the first one a few years before 2011 (i think 2004), but it was very dry that year too. Might be another 20 years before I try it again. Not sure what I'm going to do for hay this winter.
Muskles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 06:45 PM   #32
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Was in Coleman County today…..looks awful
Passthrough is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 07:09 PM   #33
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Nothing close to 2011 on my places in Mills county at the moment. We were close from January until about 4 weeks ago, but have received a little over 3 inches of rain since then. In 2011 I fertilized about 220 acres of coastal for hay production and didn't get a drop till too late for coastal to grow.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 08:39 PM   #34
GARY
Administrator

Hunt In: Lavaca County & Alberta

Our place in Shiner is looking as bad as 2011 when we had to sell all our cows on our 130 acre place. Hard to believe how grass rich we were just last year, not cutting all our fertilized fields (shredding) as we had just too much hay to put up.

Praying tropical depression or hurricane type rains changes things.

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GARY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 06:28 AM   #35
Texashookset
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTK View Post
Worse than 2011 at my place in Dimmit. Going on 9 months w less than 2"
100-105 degrees everyday is just brutal
Going to find out how much of an impact protein & cottonseed has on antler growth.
Most of the young cedar elms, hackberry, persimmon, & guajillo on south end of my ranch never put on leaves & alot of the trees appear to be dead.
Hate to say it because it’s so bad out there for you/most of us but I bet you see a better than normal increase in your antler growth because of your supplementals. It happens in years of drought as long as they have some kind of water source decently close. They should be crushing it.

Gotta send one up for our farmers and ranchers, hoping we start getting some slow rolling good rains for y’all.
Texashookset is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 06:41 AM   #36
Radar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARY View Post
Our place in Shiner is looking as bad as 2011 when we had to sell all our cows on our 130 acre place. Hard to believe how grass rich we were just last year, not cutting all our fertilized fields (shredding) as we had just too much hay to put up.

Praying tropical depression or hurricane type rains changes things.
When I priced fertilizer this year and it was 950.00 a ton and herbicide was 50.00 a gallon, I about fell over. Guess it was a blessing in disguise.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2022, 10:35 PM   #37
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Is anyone privy to the long(er) term forecasts are calling for? Like into August, September and into the fall?
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2022, 10:43 PM   #38
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
Is anyone privy to the long(er) term forecasts are calling for? Like into August, September and into the fall?
Gotta ask God on that one. Weathermen ainít been very accurate lol
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2022, 11:12 PM   #39
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

2011 was the worst drought Iíve seen for us. This year is right up next to it so far.
Itís scary dry!!

We have only had a couple rains since the first of last November 2021Ö.Throw in all the boatload of 100 degree days plus high winds sure makes it a brutal combo.

Praying hard for rain!!!
Bone Thug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2022, 11:20 PM   #40
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Thug View Post
2011 was the worst drought Iíve seen for us. This year is right up next to it so far.
Itís scary dry!!

We have only had a couple rains since the first of last November 2021Ö.Throw in all the boatload of 100 degree days plus high winds sure makes it a brutal combo.

Praying hard for rain!!!

We normally get the worst of the droughts at the ranch. Like it will rain a good bit in town and miss our ranch 7 miles away.
This year Iíve had multiple good rains at the ranch. So much Iíll have to mow multiple times during the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2022, 11:42 PM   #41
Ryan81
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas, Oklahoma

Been pretty tough the last year. Seems like even starting last fall/winter the precipitation wasnít like normal. Combined with the above average wind and lack of adequate spring rains it has been brutal. Wonít be much longer and weíll be putting out hay. Thankfully we carried over a good bit from last year.

Ryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2022, 12:02 AM   #42
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Not in Texas but feeling the pain.

We had 10” in May and then 1” since. It’s getting bad! The spigot shut off
Razrbk89 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2022, 01:18 PM   #43
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

I'm already running soaker hoses around bases of some of my trees a couple times a week. Can't afford to lose my shade.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2022, 02:04 PM   #44
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
I'm already running soaker hoses around bases of some of my trees a couple times a week. Can't afford to lose my shade.

Been doing the same but out around the drip line where the roots are
Old 07-09-2022, 04:39 PM   #45
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Been doing the same but out around the drip line where the roots are
I need to do this

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2022, 06:59 PM   #46
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

I’m running soaker hoses around the foundation of my home.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2022, 12:38 AM   #47
jonate98
Six Point

Hunt In: Tyler County

Iím feeling itís Setting the table for some hurricanes, them gulf waters gotta be heating up big time!

jonate98 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2022, 06:41 AM   #48
Rubberdown
Ten Point

We dug out the tank when in went dry in 2011. There’s 30 foot of water in there now. I don’t think we are near 2011 levels yet. But maaaaaan could we use some rain.
Rubberdown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2022, 08:46 AM   #49
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonate98 View Post
Iím feeling itís Setting the table for some hurricanes, them gulf waters gotta be heating up big time!

Wonít do much if that stupid Saharan dust keeps pushing across. They are calling for another wave of dust next week

bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2022, 09:14 AM   #50
TheHammer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberdown View Post
We dug out the tank when in went dry in 2011. Thereís 30 foot of water in there now. I donít think we are near 2011 levels yet. But maaaaaan could we use some rain.
Where are you located? Iíve hunted West Texas for about 14 years and that included the 2011 drought. We are dang close from what I remember that being like out that way.
TheHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top