Yellow jackets/red wasp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellow jackets/red wasp

Most of you know I coach a 4-H rifle team. We are battling yellow jackets and red wasp something fierce. Every Tuesday and Thursday there is another nest. Found some under the shooting benches last night. All I need is for a kid to get bitten.

Is there anything I can put out that would drive them away? Or am I just going to have to check before every practice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would spray any areas they nest in with permethrin. You can get it online or anywhere that sells pesticides.

I spray the eves of my houses and inside my deer blinds with it every year, keeps them away.

Comment

I wonder if Demon WP would work? It leaves a residue, and any bug that tracks across it will die. You can find it at just about any hardware store. Easily mixed up in a 1 gallon pump sprayer.

Comment

Put Cow Ear Tags with insecticide under the benches.

Comment

My biologist saw them at the low end of the food chain. In years with low wasps he worried about the fawn crop. Tons of wasps made him happy...

Comment

The red wasps and I have gotten along well. I have found them around our house, hell they have been next to me while working on my car and there was never any stings. They had a nest behind out trash can, and there was never an issue with me taking trash out and being stung or anything. I don't know if I am an outlier or not, but after my first few encounters, I have never really worried about them.

Now those F-ing yellow jackets on the other hand, look at them wrong and they are coming for you like the Germans over London in WWII. I have used the regular home depot wasp killer stuff with great luck. To keep them away, I spray their nest and the area all around it, and the corners of the house or other area's prone to yellow jacket nests, and have never had them return.

Comment

I don't know about keeping them away Brian but I do know dawn dish soap and water works great for killing them suckers! just enough soap to make the water feel slick.

Comment

They're the reason, I carry an epi-pen...
                Spawns, from hell...

Comment

The no pest strips help some. Spectracide pro or good old dawn and water can be left there for when battle breaks out

Comment

First of all those yellow ones are NOT YELLOW JACKETS!! They are a paper wasp known as Guinea Wasps. Yellow jackets build in a hive under ground or in an old log, etc... They do not build hanging gray paper nests.

Having said that, those Guinea wasps are just plain bad!! Don't take much to pizz 'em off! In an enclosed area, the No-Pest Strips work great (like in an enclosed deer blind), but not sure how effective they'd be just hanging under a shooting bench. I'm now aware of any systemic insecticide that will keep 'em away. I'd just buy a case of the Raid Wasp and hornet spray and use that each time. Just one little squirt and they'll fall straight down to the ground. I keep it in all my vehicles, car, truck, tractor, atv, boat... Other brands will eventually kill 'em I guess, but nothing else I've tried will drop them straight down like that Raid in the black can. Plus you can do it from 10-15 feet away.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      First of all those yellow ones are NOT YELLOW JACKETS!! They are a paper wasp known as Guinea Wasps. Yellow jackets build in a hive under ground or in an old log, etc... They do not build hanging gray paper nests.
                      Thank you for mentioning that. That is one of those things that folks get confused and for some reason it's become a pet peeve. LOL

I will also say that carb and/or brake cleaner kill wasps stone dead instantly. I mean they don't even flinch. Obviously that won't keep them away, but it'll get rid of the ones that are there.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

Having said that, those Guinea wasps are just plain bad!! Don't take much to pizz 'em off! In an enclosed area, the No-Pest Strips work great (like in an enclosed deer blind), but not sure how effective they'd be just hanging under a shooting bench. I'm now aware of any systemic insecticide that will keep 'em away. I'd just buy a case of the Raid Wasp and hornet spray and use that each time. Just one little squirt and they'll fall straight down to the ground. I keep it in all my vehicles, car, truck, tractor, atv, boat... Other brands will eventually kill 'em I guess, but nothing else I've tried will drop them straight down like that Raid in the black can. Plus you can do it from 10-15 feet away.
                        I had it in reverse ! I thought the evil guinea’s hives were in the ground! Those bastages will follow you a long way if you make them angry!

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                          Thank you for mentioning that. That is one of those things that folks get confused and for some reason it's become a pet peeve. LOL

I will also say that carb and/or brake cleaner kill wasps stone dead instantly. I mean they don't even flinch. Obviously that won't keep them away, but it'll get rid of the ones that are there.
                          Kind of like people saying they were bit by a wasp or scorpion. :-)

Comment

I’ve never been bitten by one. Does it hurt as bad as a sting?

The cow tags have worked for keeping them out of my deer stand. They may help in your case. Attach some under the benches.

Comment

Honestly after post 5 I’m not sure what else needs to be said. That’s solid advice right there!

Comment

Working...
                              X