Feed deer if you can!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed deer if you can!

Most deer are okay, but some of them are going down hill fast. Two pics of deer with ribs beginning to show and other three were just pics on my cameras. Feed if you can afford it. These pics are from southwest Mills county.
    Attached Files

Yep, thing are rough & no improvement in sight.

Comment

I've already fed 6k pounds of protein on my 130 acres. No slowing down.

Comment

I wish I could, my feeders are cut back- but at least they are getting 5 seconds a day each set (600#ers topped off in late March).

I won't be back out until June / July (stuck at work).
        Might be a burnt up dust bowl by then.

Comment

Good going Mark, generous of you. Lord send us some slow, steady soaking rain.

Comment

Wow! That landscape looks like it hasn’t seen rain in months, I’m afraid it’s about to get really bad as the temps start to rise

Comment

I traveled from Houston to Brownwood for Easter weekend and from I35 west it just gets progressively worse. Looks like August out there and like said above, no serious help in sight.

Comment

Yep with fertilizer prices out of sight, EF15 etc going to be a pricey year for feed. Some farmers I am talking with are opting out on fertilizing hay fields. The ones I talked with are going to try and rotate pastures if grass is there. The trickle down factors isn’t looking good.

Comment

It sucks and we need rain bad and I hate it for the people livelihood getting affected. But, those free ranging critters will be fine. Some will not make it, but some don’t make it every year. They’ve been there for hundreds of years and through many droughts. I agree it sucks, but just like everything else, this too shall pass.

Comment

Our place north of Abilene has only had 4 inches of rain in the past four months

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
                      Our place north of Abilene has only had 4 inches of rain in the past four months
                      Lucky. We have had 1.3” in 2022

Comment

McCulloch county is in VERY bad shape.. It reminds me of 2011.. A LOT of deer died that year. Some estimates were 65%-75% die off.

Comment

Cwd

Comment

Fawn survival rates will be way down if some central and west central counties don't luck out and catch a few rains.

Rwc

Comment

I spent Wednesday through Sunday repairing feed pens. Brooks county is bone dry. Cows will find food. Cotton seed was the target. I’ll wait til we get a decent rain before refilling cotton seed. Corn is available year round.

Comment

Working...
                              X