No announcement yet.

Tractor Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with larger is better, running a smaller tractor to it’s limit will incur more maintenance and breakdowns. IMO front assist/4wd is a huge plus along with cab/ac.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      Since he wants something that will move round bales a 26 hp is going to be hard to do without the front wheels touching the ground.
      I added 600lb of washer fluid to the rear tires. The loader is rated at 1800 pounds what does a round bale weigh?

Comment

There is truth in buying larger than you think you will need however.......

I have a 40hp Mahindra and just added a 75hp John Deere cab tractor to the stable.

I am shocked at the difference in fuel consumption. The Deere is real nice tractor but I can watch the fuel gauge move as I drive around the property. The Mahindra I only refueled every once every 2-3 months.

Comment

We have a 30hp 4wd w/FEL for 32 acres, does pretty good. Went with the smaller 30 due to around 1/2 the property is quite hilly and wooded. Ended up getting a used 70hp 2wd for the flat areas, and what a game changer!!!

I’m going with the 50hp + camp for my recommendation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a similar sized property and we have a 5065e. It is pretty close to perfect but wish it was slightly bigger sometimes. It pulls a 10ft shredder no problem, lifts 5x6 bales no problem and has 4wd. No cab though. If you have the extra to get the cab it is absolutely worth it. I kinda wish we had gotten in but not missing it enough for the trouble of trading/buying again.

No way you're picking up 5x6 bales safely and without a load of ballast on some of the smaller tractors. Even on the rear you will be hard pressed. In the John deere world I say the 4 series is the smallest you could get by with round bales "safely".
            Last edited by FCoDxDart; 05-24-2022, 06:19 AM.

Comment

I take care of a small family property, mostly mowing. I've got an ancient 60 horse JD right now with a 7 foot shredder. If I was upgrading I'd get about the same size, but with 4wd, power steering, and less leaks The 90hp at the ranch with a grapple and a cab would be nice at times, but way too big in the woods. I'd say get you a nice 50-60 hp and you'd be set.

Comment

Got one just like this, and it has been a great tractor. This one looks clean. Ours has the 16 speed transmission, which is real handy. As you can see it is shorter (notice you straddle the transmission), but it is a stout tractor. I really like how Case did the stabilizer bars on the 3pt. They make hooking up implements allot easier/faster.

Comment

I am a Kubota man but very impressed with the Kioti and their lift capacity. I'm running a L2501 Kubota but with I had atleast 35 hp plus. A Kioti CK 3510 is a beast of a tractor and would be my recommendation

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by g2outfitter View Post
                    I am a Kubota man but very impressed with the Kioti and their lift capacity. I'm running a L2501 Kubota but with I had atleast 35 hp plus. A Kioti CK 3510 is a beast of a tractor and would be my recommendation

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I went with a Kioti DK4710se when I decided to buy 2 years ago. I’ve been very pleased with the tractor. One of the main factors was the lifting capacity vs some of the comparable tractors. I’ve been contemplating selling to get a larger tractor. I’ve got 200 acres and could use more Hp for a larger mower and grain drill I’ve been eyeballing

Having said that, the size I bought has been nice for working in the timber with the grapple. Great unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
                      I’m looking to buy a tractor real soon just not sure what size I need. I have 27 acres of which 8 acres is cleared off for for animals. 3 acres right now have animals on it, but the other 5 has been cleared about 2 years ago & needs mowing. The only thing I can think of that would be needed of the tractor is to maybe pick up a dead horse or cow, maybe pick up a round bale & mow & keep the cleared land maintained. Maybe some light clearing of the rear of the property when I get time.

The tractor definitely will have a front end loader & 4-wheel drive.

What size do y’all recommend?

If you have 8 acres to mow, I would just pay someone to do it. My yard is 3 acres and I can mow it with a riding mower in less than 3 hours.

Take that $20-30K that you are going to spend on a tractor and buy some more land.

Comment

Get a skid steer. I love mine.

Comment

I agree with the more hp the better.. when I had my place I started out with a 40 hp tractor when I sold the place I has a 110 hp cab air.. I wouldn't buy anything that won't pull at least a 10 ft mower.. if you plan to stack round bales lift height will come into play too. Mowing 8 acres with a 5 ft mower is a all day project if not longer with anything less than a 45 hp at the pto tractor.. 60 would be my lower limit . The physical size isn't much bigger than the 45 hp.

Comment

Well after much stress I finally did it. Left this morning with the full intent on going to pick up a used Mahindra 4550 with 94hrs
                            on it. I got ten minutes done the road & I just didn’t feel right in my gut. So I pulled over & made a few phone calls. 45 minutes later had a sealed deal on a brand new 4550. Walked in the tractor store with a check & loaded it up.

Comment

It fits the screen name

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
                                Well after much stress I finally did it. Left this morning with the full intent on going to pick up a used Mahindra 4550 with 94hrs
                                on it. I got ten minutes done the road & I just didn’t feel right in my gut. So I pulled over & made a few phone calls. 45 minutes later had a sealed deal on a brand new 4550. Walked in the tractor store with a check & loaded it up.

Nice. How much one of those costing these days?

Comment

Working...
                                X