No announcement yet.

Konnor won a few more races today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can honestly say the pinewood derby is one of two things about scouting I absolutely disliked.
    The other like you mentioned, complainers who never do volunteer.
    Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DRT; 05-01-2022, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      I can honestly say the pinewood derby is one of two things about scouting I absolutely disliked.
      The other like you mentioned, complainers who never do volunteer.
      Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk
      Our pack has a great bunch of parents. The first year in, Konnor's car was the upset, that broke a winning streak for a family that had dominated for 5 years prior. Even that dad congratulated Konnor and loved that his kid got a dose of humility. He's an engineer, and like us, they put a lot of research and time into their cars. It could have very easily got ugly if he wasn't able to accept the defeat.

At this district race, you could clearly tell which dads did 100% of the work. They carried the cars in, in boxes (which we do as well), but the kid wasn't allowed anywhere near the car. Those are the same dads that didn't take the loss so well.

Reading between the lines, I'm pretty sure that's the reason you didn't like the derby, and it's rightly so. When the fun is taken out by a sore sport dad, it can crush the whole event.

It does sound like you were able to get past that and I hope your son got some benefit out of the program. When it's run right, it's a great tool.

Comment

Awesome..... Congrats to both of you.

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

I just looked at the average times, from the race computer.
            Each car races once on each of 4 lanes. The 4 runs are averaged so there is no lane advantage.

Konnor's average time was 2.9958 seconds.
            2nd place was 2.9973 ... only 0.0015 seconds difference!

Comment

Congratulations to Konnor and you on the wins. And thanks for carrying on as a leader and volunteer. I had some great years in scouts with father/son cake competitions, PW Derby's and camping out with the guys.

Comment

Congrats to the young man and to you for being a good dad to your son and others

Comment

Wouldn’t expect anything less! Ha ha Ha, that’s fun stuff and I can’t believe how big that boy is getting! I had a pop in and say hello soon

Comment

I wanna see the cars, Kev...

Comment

Originally posted by cz52man View Post
                      I wanna see the cars, Kev...
                      I'll have to get a picture this evening. Konnor named his car Super Sloth!

Comment

John, here's his car.

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

This is awesome!! Big Congrats to the young man and parents!!

Comment

Them slabs can run. Look real good. Tell him I said congratulations!

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
                              X