No announcement yet.

Anyone still use sour maze for catfishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You simply dump about half a sack of cubes in the water. Protein % doesn't really make a difference, although some folks will tell you it does. You can also scatter it a bit with a coffee can or small pale. But keep the "zone" small. If fishing off a bank, I find a spot close to an underwater drop off. And scatter along the bank for about 15-20 yards there. Lettem sit for a few hours. Or repeat for a few days. Then fish them. Works better on channel cat during the May/June timeframe when they are getting ready to spawn. You can fish it in 3-10 foot of water. Anchor outside the feed zone and cast into it with a bobber set up.And some kind of stink/dip bait. I've also used shrimp. But I peal the shell off and thread it on a long shank #6 with the barb in the body. Use just enough to cover the hook. And a split shot to get it down. As to the dip/stink bait, sometimes it's heavy enough to get down on it's own, pending how deep you're fishing. Sometimes a split shot is needed. Keep your bait off the bottom. Let it suspend. Cats sometimes go on the prowl when feeding. And will swim around looking for food.

I've also used cotten seed cake. But it's really hard to find since many old gins have shut down. I break it up and put it in a sinking fish basket. Let it sit on the bottom. And repeat every 3 days or so. It will break down easy when wet. And sift through the fish basket. The channels will gorge themselves on it. You cn also do that with commercial stink baits. I've also used cat and dog foods. Both canned and dry. The canned cat foods work fairly well for a quick set. Dry food will absorb water. It also floats most of the time. I use a mesh bag with a draw cord. And a rock in the bag to get the bag submerged with the dry food. It will not only draw cats, it draws pan fish and bait fish too. After leaving them baited all summer, the sandies start making regular runs by them to clean up the bait fish and shad that hang around them.

First time I'd ever seen corn used was by a neighbor I had when I lived in Ft. Worth. He had been to PK on a guided trip. And that is what the guide had been baiting his holes out with. Plain old corn, and soured corn. Those cats were spit-n up corn as fast as we were filleting them.
    Last edited by Texas Grown; 02-24-2022, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      Range cubes are just as good, easier to handle and store……no stink !
      Just poke 10 or 15 holes in the bag, hold it in the water until it fills with water, let it go. Wait overnight and catch them on every drop. However it has been my experience that you catch several "keepers" and when they are gone, you catch nothing but dinks.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
        Range cubes are good but no way better than maize! I have used both and have for years! Range cubes take longer to start dissolving and bring in the fish. Maize works way faster in my experience.
        Time for a fish fry!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
          You simply dump about half a sack of cubes in the water. Protein % doesn't really make a difference, although some folks will tell you it does. You can also scatter it a bit with a coffee can or small pale. But keep the "zone" small. If fishing off a bank, I find a spot close to an underwater drop off. And scatter along the bank for about 15-20 yards there. Lettem sit for a few hours. Or repeat for a few days. Then fish them. Works better on channel cat during the May/June timeframe when they are getting ready to spawn. You can fish it in 3-10 foot of water. Anchor outside the feed zone and cast into it with a bobber set up.And some kind of stink/dip bait. I've also used shrimp. But I peal the shell off and thread it on a long shank #6 with the barb in the body. Use just enough to cover the hook. And a split shot to get it down. As to the dip/stink bait, sometimes it's heavy enough to get down on it's own, pending how deep you're fishing. Sometimes a split shot is needed. Keep your bait off the bottom. Let it suspend. Cats sometimes go on the prowl when feeding. And will swim around looking for food.

I've also used cotten seed cake. But it's really hard to find since many old gins have shut down. I break it up and put it in a sinking fish basket. Let it sit on the bottom. And repeat every 3 days or so. It will break down easy when wet. And sift through the fish basket. The channels will gorge themselves on it. You cn also do that with commercial stink baits. I've also used cat and dog foods. Both canned and dry. The canned cat foods work fairly well for a quick set. Dry food will absorb water. It also floats most of the time. I use a mesh bag with a draw cord. And a rock in the bag to get the bag submerged with the dry food. It will not only draw cats, it draws pan fish and bait fish too. After leaving them baited all summer, the sandies start making regular runs by them to clean up the bait fish and shad that hang around them.

First time I'd ever seen corn used was by a neighbor I had when I lived in Ft. Worth. He had been to PK on a guided trip. And that is what the guide had been baiting his holes out with. Plain old corn, and soured corn. Those cats were spit-n up corn as fast as we were filleting them.
          Thanks for that write out. That helps alot.

Good push MrGrown.
          Good push MrWise.

Comment

I use cheap dog food

Comment

When we bait its range cubes also. We spread it out late afternoon then go catch something else and come back at dusk

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Well I’m definitely going to try the cubes next time I get to go fish.

Comment

My dad loves fishing with maze. He usually has three, to five gallons souring. I would rather chase crappie, than get that stuff on my hands.

Comment

When I want to catch catfish at Sam Rayburn I will drop 3 cattle blocks out. One at 15, one at 20 and one at 25 feet of water. (With walmart closing out deer season stuff look for deer blocks on clearance now) then I go crappie or bass fish. Few hours later pass by each spot and toss out a couple of handfuls of range cubes. If I am not mistaken its 18% protein range cubes as the 12% float off. Then go back to 1st spot and and start fishing. Usually preferred bait is cheap hot dog weenies with a little garlic salt, cheese and a dash of anise oil. Slice weenies about 3/8 inch wide just right size to.cover hook bend on a #1 gold crappie hook. If you start catching and they quit then drop 4-5 range cubes over side of boat and they will usually pick up again. If you fish every weekend, then put a fresh block out every week and they will stay in the area year round.

Comment

How often are y’all chumming spots with cubes?

Comment

Used to use it on the Nueces a lot in my younger days. There was a grain elevator in Robstown that used to pile up all the pack offs behind their bins. You could shovel up as much as you needed/wanted. All ready nice and ripe. Hogs loved it too.

Comment

We put it in 5 gal buckets and then into a chest freezer. Pull up to your spot, drop the bucket, and it slowly melts and releases.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                            How often are y’all chumming spots with cubes?

Regardless of what I use, I chum about every three days, unless I'm fishing every day. Then I chum every day that I fish.

Comment

Growing up that’s all we used, that plus catfish Charlie. We used an old ladle for the chum, but I can remember eating many sandwiches or boiled eggs after rinsing the Charlie off my fingers in the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X