Forget the Moo Cows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forget the Moo Cows

I’ve got a lease that has some moo cows and a few sits a year get ruined bc they set up on my feeder. I’m thinking of stringing up a few stands of barbed wire but I’ve never had to do this. I also only bow hunt out of a ground blind there so I’m trying to logistically figure that out with creating a path for my arrows.

Any thoughts or suggestions??

Elevated platform for your popup blind, and build a fence around your feeder. I used "horse fence" around my feeders, and strung barbed wire across the top of my fence and havent had an issue in 4 years.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Eat the cows

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        Eat the cows

Gary
        😂😂 I’m not sure my land owner would be happy. Can’t say it hasn’t crossed my mind in November and they plop down near my feeder. Lol.

Comment

I've used a slingshot to deter them. A real pain. Eventually, just stopped hunting a free-access place mainly because of having to fight off the cows and horses almost every hunt, though.

Comment

We just put up a 12 panel feed pen for my wife's spot for this very reason. Well bovine and swine.

Comment

Seriously cattle are just part of it. Unless you want to invest in a sack of cattle cubes a weekend. Pour them out away from your set up. Just a quarter sack a hunt will help.

Gary
              Last edited by DRT; 05-03-2020, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                I've used a slingshot to deter them. A real pain. Eventually, just stopped hunting a free-access place mainly because of having to fight off the cows and horses almost every hunt, though.
                Me too but I'm not sure the rancher would have liked it.[emoji15][emoji1]

Gary

Comment

A 3 strand barbed wire fence wrapped around T posts and/or a few trees should do it. The bottom 2 strands close enough together and low enough to keep the little moo cows out.

One of those air soft guns that shoots the little soft plastic bb’s if a sling shot is frowned upon

Comment

I swear if I ever put myself in that kind of situation again I'm gonna spend the coin to buy an electric fence set-up and put in the time to run one solid fence to leave on while I'm gone then a second fence that operates from a selector switch in my blind! May even run various wiring around to use as a hotshot ambush. You may gather from this post that I've given this a lot of thought and I really hate cows when I'm trying to hunt!

Comment

Elevated stand and barb wire

Or.....

Believe it or not, it is legal in Texas to shoot a deer not at a feeder. I had more hunts ruined by feeder failure than cattle. I decided to not let 12v dictate success or failure

If they have calves, you will probably fence out your deer before the cattle

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                        Elevated stand and barb wire

Or.....

Believe it or not, it is legal in Texas to shoot a deer not at a feeder. I had more hunts ruined by feeder failure than cattle. I decided to not let 12v dictate success or failure

If they have calves, you will probably fence out your deer before the cattle
                        Yes it is but some leases require you hunt your set up.
                        Personally I've gotten to where stand alone interlocking panels are the way to go.

Gary

Comment

Hate em, dumbest animals in gods green earth!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianhuff View Post
                            Hate em, dumbest animals in gods green earth!
                            Ain't never been around sheep have ya.

Gary

Comment

Hog panels. We’ve hunted with cattle for 15 plus years. Deer will still come when corns on the ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X