Outboard motor- no title....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outboard motor- no title....

Ive got a Mercury 110 outboard motor (Grandfathers old motor) that I am selling. He was the original owner but my grandmother has no clue where the title may be. The motor has been sitting in his shed for several years. Anyrate, several interested buyers have asked about the title. I have explained to them the situation, its legit, not stolen or anything like that. I know ZERO about registering boat motors, needing titles for boat motors, etc.

Do motors have to be registered and if so, how do you go about registering one without a title?

Yes motors are registered. Contact Tex’s Parks &
    Wildlife. They can provide information

Comment

If you go to Texas Parks and Wildlife's website I think they say motor's built after 1994 require a title. Here's the thing, they don't require a registration sticker like the boat. The only reason to really have one is so that you can prove ownership if someone accuses you of stealing it from them. Very unlikely on an old 10 horse engine. I have bought several untitled outboards over the years with no issue. However, I do use that as a tactic to negotiate a lower sale price. I would not touch an untitled boat with 50 foot pole if I was planning on using it in public water though.

Comment

It may not have ever had a title. You can run the number here to see if it has ever been titled. Like mentioned above, if it was before 1994 it likely never had a title.

Comment

My mercury is a 1984 and it had a title with it.

Comment

I do believe they started titling outboards in 1976 or there abouts.

Comment

Im figuring he bought the motor in the late 70's. Will try to run the serial number when I get home this evening, dont have a pic with the full serial number on my phone.

Comment

I have been pulled over by game wardens and the coast guard so many times I have lost count. Last year the coast guard held me for 2 hours trying to verify ownership of my boat. But never in my life has anyone questioned my non titled motors.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                  I have been pulled over by game wardens and the coast guard so many times I have lost count. Last year the coast guard held me for 2 hours trying to verify ownership of my boat. But never in my life has anyone questioned my non titled motors.
                  Thats pretty much what I figured....as long as the boat is registered and current I have never heard of a GW checking for a motor title. But would still like to know what the process would be to secure a title.

Comment

might have to file for lost title , get in your name then sell

Comment

Bill in the Texas Legislature:

Comment

I went through this about 10 years ago. Purchased an older boat. No title on engine only. It was a headache getting the title for the engine. I had to track down 3 owners ago to find the right guy and lots of paperwork. The selling process was when I had issue. Buyers were gun shy. I would suggest you file for lost title and go that route.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                          I went through this about 10 years ago. Purchased an older boat. No title on engine only. It was a headache getting the title for the engine. I had to track down 3 owners ago to find the right guy and lots of paperwork. The selling process was when I had issue. Buyers were gun shy. I would suggest you file for lost title and go that route.
                          Ok, thanks for the info

Comment

Non of my 3 motors have titles. Just a Bill of Sale.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I had one for 15 years that wasn’t titled. I bought it when I was 17 and had no idea outboards even had to be registered or titled. I was stopped probably a dozen times over the years by game wardens and was never once asked about the motor. Honestly, I think most GW could care less about the motor. Once I decided to sell it, I went to TPWD and they looked up if it had ever been registered, turns out it hadn’t. The lady asked me how much I paid for it, I paid the tax on what I paid for it, and they issued e a title.

Comment

Working...
                              X