Losing interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing interest

Any of yall had the issue of losing interest in hunting over the years? I know its probably an odd question to ask considering I'm on a hunting forum, but I've hunted the same property out in West Texas since I was 12 and it's just not the same. Used to wake up at 4 or 5 am wide eyed but now it feels like if like a chore. Don't get me wrong, seeing a big ole mature mulie still gets me going. But getting there is the issue. Maybe I'm rambling but was something I've been thinking about today. New scenery perhaps?

I no longer hunt whitetail because it did not have the excitement. I just head to the Rockies for Archery Mule Deer and elk 3-4 times a year and am happy with that!

Comment

How do you hunt? Change it up. I felt that way 10 years ago and went trad. Now I mainly hunt off the ground in brush blinds. It's a lot harder hunt and much more rewarding.

Comment

try not doing it for a season or two or four. in fact, you should let someone take your place hunting your property so you dont have to....until you realize how much you miss it

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
          I no longer hunt whitetail because it did not have the excitement. I just head to the Rockies for Archery Mule Deer and elk 3-4 times a year and am happy with that!
          If it wasn't for my 2 boys....I'd be in this boat!

Comment

I am tired of hunting small bodied 130"-150" west Texas deer. Gave up the lease.
            BUT any hunting out of state for elk, mule deer, and big whitetail is a different story!
            I shot 2 big does one weighing 175, and a big framed 10 in Kansas this year. After eating Kansas steaks I really don't care for hunting in west Texas, that said I have some land out side of Sweetwater that is pretty good, but I haven't even hunted it this year.
            I will never get tired of hunting, just get tired of the same o'l thing every year out there.

Comment

Originally posted by castlegaphunter View Post
              Any of yall had the issue of losing interest in hunting over the years? I know its probably an odd question to ask considering I'm on a hunting forum, but I've hunted the same property out in West Texas since I was 12 and it's just not the same. Used to wake up at 4 or 5 am wide eyed but now it feels like if like a chore. Don't get me wrong, seeing a big ole mature mulie still gets me going. But getting there is the issue. Maybe I'm rambling but was something I've been thinking about today. New scenery perhaps?
              Your not alone, every year my desire wanes a little more. I still buy a lic. but may only go hunting a day or so out of the season. Even then I usually don’t choose to shoot one when I get the oppertunity. And some seasons I don’t go at all. I always looked forward to going down there and hunting javelina and pigs, and this year don’t really know if I want to go or not. Not sure what it is, used to be the only reason I wanted to live was to hunt. I do like to see how close I can stalk them and take video ( not real good as camera man, and even worse in front of it) but it’s far to expensive to travel as far as I have to, to do that.
              Last edited by critter69; 11-26-2018, 01:48 PM.

Comment

I still like to kill pigs. . . a lot of pigs. Kind of had my share of whitetail hunting and largely leave that to the kiddos.

Comment

Im kinda in he boat this yr. I have only gone 3 times this yr and those were with Riley trying to get her a buck. I will shoot some does but mainly about her these days.

Comment

I’m not as mad at them as I used to be but not to the point of giving it up. I’d suggest, like others, a change of scenery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If it weren’t for getting my kids out there, It would be pretty easy to do without.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just let me go kill them for you then. You can keep sleeping.

Comment

Introduce someone in your family or friends to hunting!

Comment

It seems like I hunt less and less each year. I attribute mine to having two kids under the age of 6. A lot of times I used to hunt is now filled with dance recitals, trips to the zoo, hanging out with them...I still want to go hunting, but don’t near as much as I used to

Comment

My son has been old enough to hunt with me that past two season and that has helped a lot. I find myself enjoying dove and duck hunting much more than deer these days really. I still love sitting in the blind watching the sun come up and the world come awake around me. It's my church really, it's where I feel at peace and any worries I have don't seem all that bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X