Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any greenscreeners in the hotshot world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any greenscreeners in the hotshot world?

Looking to make a change, professionally, and hotshotting is looking fairly tempting. Anyone have some advice?

Following

Comment

Tagged for the responses.

Comment

My take on it after spending 40 years in the oilfield and using them on a daily basis. It is a tough business, and can be profitable. The key is if you can find a customer that is busy, that calls for you specifically. Going on the call board, is not as good. Depending on the industry you primarily work for, your activity is tied to theirs. Long hours, on call all the time, not a lot of days off

Comment

Don't know anything about it but my neighbor does it for a living and he's gone from home most of the time and crazy hours. I believe he works through a broker or some type of management firm.

Comment

You better have a good clientele list to start with and have the gift to gab! It’s Dawg Eats Dawg

Comment

Not much help but I hired one a few weeks ago for haul some stuff from midland to Weatherford, charged me 90.00 per hour, I was happy with it and paid him an extra 2 hours.

Comment

Friend of mine got into it and found it better to just buy your own 18 wheeler and trailer. Big loads seem to be easier to get and the schedule is more flexible. He sold the hotshot rig and runs the big truck weekly.

Comment

I have a friend that has been dong it with his 250 for years. Loves it. Stays in TX and OK.

Comment

Got a few buddies who run loads. Most of them got in with a broker and hauled cargo trailers to Cali, and cars back. A few have gotten into hot shots with connections they made running for brokers, but several have just moved back to brokers and hauling trailers/cars. Constant money and always a load headed somewhere. If you do it, plan on a new truck every other year or so, 80-140k miles a year is the norm or more depending on the time your willing to be out. I've run a couple of lighter short hauls for them, but don't really care to be gone like that. A dually and a take 5 car hauler can be as busy as they want these days.

Comment

I spent 30 years in the delivery business. From my experience, I can tell you that most owner operators fail. Drivers are always in high demand. I would encourage anyone thinking of getting into the business to drive for someone else for a year. Consider it a paid internship.

Comment

I have no input on the hotshot business except, as already mentioned, you will need a new vehicle every year or so. Plan those costs in your plan.

What did you decide to do with this business opportunity?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                          I have no input on the hotshot business except, as already mentioned, you will need a new vehicle every year or so. Plan those costs in your plan.

What did you decide to do with this business opportunity?

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=700710
                          Oh my.... what a waste that was. The person was unwilling to deal on an outside company, and unwilling to negotiate on controlling interest. He demanded to to stay in control, and I just wasn't going to cave that far.

Such a shame.

Comment

I done it for myself for a few years and we had 3 trucks running when I hung it up. Buy a used truck to start with until you know it'll be something you will stick with. Try to find a contact to haul for before you buy anything. If all else fails haul campers. I averaged 115k miles a year and only quit so I could be home, you can't make money at the house. If I had to do it again I'd really look at the campers.

Comment

Gat40’s son owns a trucking company that does some hotshot work. Get with him!

Comment

Working...
                              X