How many remember.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many remember.....

When this was the tallest building in Dallas? You could see the Pegasus for miles before actually getting downtown. Durn I'm old.
    Attached Files

I do and yep you are old.

Comment

Yea, it was about the same time as the Gulf building in Houston, the old Esperson Building... Both are dwarfed now... It was a sad day in Houston when they took down the old Gulf sign...

Comment

I remember seeing it back in the 60's when our family would travel down from NE Oklahoma to visit our Texas relatives. I always liked going through Dallas at night to see that flying red horse rotating on the skyline

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
          I remember seeing it back in the 60's when our family would travel down from NE Oklahoma to visit our Texas relatives. I always liked going through Dallas at night to see that flying red horse rotating on the skyline
          When my mom took us downtown shopping, me and my sisters had a game to see who could see it first.

Comment

yep, and when it was the tallest building Swift had a packing plant about where ATT is now and it sure smelled driving on Stemmons. I drove thru the other day and you can barely see ATT for all the new stuff

Comment

I remember when I went to UT, when you came into town out on interstate the Austin skyline held two prominent buildings, the UT Tower and the Capitol building. And you thought you was old. Lol. My degree reads The University of Texas, period, not at Austin, or Tyler, or Galveston. Just “The University of Texas”.

Comment

We used to go to the Lone Star Cement plant off of I30 up on Chalk Hill and get paid to shoot pigeons out of the metal buildings. Got 10 cents a bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                  We used to go to the Lone Star Cement plant off of I30 up on Chalk Hill and get paid to shoot pigeons out of the metal buildings. Got 10 cents a bird.
                  That would have been a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                    That would have been a blast!
                    We used our pellet guns and yes, we had a blast. Our neighbor worked there. We also used to hunt rabbits and dove down between the levee's along the Trinity River. Some good times were had in the big city.

Comment

I have no idea what you're talking about Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                        I have no idea what you're talking about Randy
                        Punk!

Comment

I used to work in the Mobil Building in mid 70's. I was the last employee out of the building; handed the keys over to the city of Dallas.
                          Durn here also, I can't remember the date but it was late November at 6:00 pm. I had to report to Aldine Pipeline Hdqtrs on Dec. 2.

Tried to climb up on the horse one weekend; had to clean a cooling tower on the roof on the weekend. It was about 15' from the edge of the building and I got high enough to be able to see over the edge of the building and decided that was far enough..

I always have peculiar feelings about situations like that. On the 26th floor, there is a ledge that runs completely around the building. The used to have AC condensing units sitting on that ledge(about 6' wide as I recall) and we'd have to crawl thru a window to service the units. I tried not to look over too much. Had a nice 3 rail fence around it with a cyclone fence mounted several feet below it to hinder folks that wanted to jump.

Dont recall the exact dates, but the building was built before AC was prevalent. A couple of years later they added what they called the "18" rooms to update to some air conditioning(AC). The floors had offices numbered 1-17 on each floor. When they added on the new rooms were called 318, 518 etc.
                          Every other floor was dedicated to 'mechanical rooms' for AC. You could see humongous bolts thru the walls where the new rooms were thru bolted to the existing building. On top of the "18" rooms was a Terrazo roof. Had to crawl thru a window on the 25th floor to get out on it. We used to go up and look out on it and you could see Town East pretty good. I always had a thought of that "wing" just falling off like it was just bolted on.

One more story if you aren't too bored to read on.

Right under the Pegasus was an observation deck. You had to climb some stairs from the Elevator Mechanical room; where the motors, cables and relay boards run the elevators. Of course the deck was locked, but I had the keys(Maintenance), but you had to check in with the Security and get clearance to go up there. It was completely chain link fenced in except for a 12" or so gap for viewing. Some one had jumped off years before, so they say.
                          One Saturday night a buddy of mine and our dates got the wild idea to go up. We checked in and Security let me(us) go up.
                          My date was kinda crazy. She got an idea to stand on her hands while leaning against the fence. I tried, but my feet wouldn't get about 18" off the ground; strange feeling for me, but had a few good feeling that night.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                            I used to work in the Mobil Building in mid 70's. I was the last employee out of the building; handed the keys over to the city of Dallas.
                            Durn here also, I can't remember the date but it was late November at 6:00 pm. I had to report to Aldine Pipeline Hdqtrs on Dec. 2.

Tried to climb up on the horse one weekend; had to clean a cooling tower on the roof on the weekend. It was about 15' from the edge of the building and I got high enough to be able to see over the edge of the building and decided that was far enough..

I always have peculiar feelings about situations like that. On the 26th floor, there is a ledge that runs completely around the building. The used to have AC condensing units sitting on that ledge(about 6' wide as I recall) and we'd have to crawl thru a window to service the units. I tried not to look over too much. Had a nice 3 rail fence around it with a cyclone fence mounted several feet below it to hinder folks that wanted to jump.

Dont recall the exact dates, but the building was built before AC was prevalent. A couple of years later they added what they called the "18" rooms to update to some air conditioning(AC). The floors had offices numbered 1-17 on each floor. When they added on the new rooms were called 318, 518 etc.
                            Every other floor was dedicated to 'mechanical rooms' for AC. You could see humongous bolts thru the walls where the new rooms were thru bolted to the existing building. On top of the "18" rooms was a Terrazo roof. Had to crawl thru a window on the 25th floor to get out on it. We used to go up and look out on it and you could see Town East pretty good. I always had a thought of that "wing" just falling off like it was just bolted on.

Right under the Pegasus was an observation deck. You had to climb some stairs from the Elevator Mechanical room; where the motors, cables and relay boards run the elevators. Of course the deck was locked, but I had the keys(Maintenance), but you had to check in with the Security and get clearance to go up there. It was completely chain link fenced in except for a 12" or so gap for viewing. Some one had jumped off years before, so they say.
                            One Saturday night a buddy of mine and our dates got the wild idea to go up. We checked in and Security let me(us) go up.
                            My date was kinda crazy. She got an idea to stand on her hands while leaning against the fence. I tried, but my feet wouldn't get about 18" off the ground; strange feeling for me, but had a few good feeling that night.
                            Great story!

The property where Mountain View College is was just pasture land. The owner let me and my buddies camp there. Bed sheet tents and food stuffed in pillow cases.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post

WOW! That's about all I got!! That's a pretty dang cool story!!

Comment

Working...
                              X