Trimming Live Oak Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trimming Live Oak Trees

My live oak trees got hammered by the freeze this year, as did most of ya'lls. We are just now seeing tiny regrowth leaves. I've read quite a bit that this year specifically, you shouldn't do much pruning because it can be too much extra stress on the trees trying to recover.

I really really need to do some pruning though, these trees are around my house and hanging fairly low and it's a PITA to mow etc. Should I hold off a year and bear the hassle, or prune away? These are large, very well established live oaks.

where are you located? any oak wilt in the area?

Comment

Trimm live oaks in the hottest part of the summer or coldest part of winter. Spray all cuts with pruning seal.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
        where are you located? any oak wilt in the area?
        Near Abilene, No wilt that I'm aware of

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          Trimm live oaks in the hottest part of the summer or coldest part of winter. Spray all cuts with pruning seal.
          It's both usually for me ha. These things never stop growing

Comment

I believe it’s oak wilt season so like some have said I would wait till summer. We need our big oak tree trimmed as well.

Comment

Not a good time to do it!

Worst time is when temps are heating up.

Comment

I have to agree with the others. Not a good time at all. There are definitely cases of oak wilt in Abilene and in surrounding communities. I would use extreme caution and seal on anything you cut, but most certainly would wait until a better time of year.

I am by no means trying to be a know it all on this issues, but I am very passionate about it, because I lost a huge mature oak on my property in central Texas and would hate to see that happen to anyone else.

Comment

Always trim trees during the winter.

Comment

I've trimmed smaller, low hanging limbs year round on my live oak and its never bothered it. No need for sealer on oak trees, its one of the few that doesn't require it. Other trees like soft woods should trimmed in fall/winter.

Comment

Thanks for all the input.. I'm not specifically asking if I should prune now or a time etc.

My question is should I prune at all this year because of the beating they took in the storm.

Comment

Originally posted by jlp04c View Post
                        Thanks for all the input.. I'm not specifically asking if I should prune now or a time etc.

My question is should I prune at all this year because of the beating they took in the storm.
                        you can wait till it leaves out fully and then do it, should be ok.

Comment

Google it and learn all you can. There's some b.s. posted here.

Comment

Originally posted by jlp04c View Post

Maybe go easy on trimming at this time of year? Just trim up enough to mow under until fall/winter?

Comment

It's a Live Oak. Properly prune it and don't "Lion-Tail" it! It's perfectly fine to prune a Live Oak year round in Texas. Unless you have Oak Wilt very near your property, I would never put a pruning seal on a Live Oak. Let it heal naturally. I beleive pruning seal inhibits or slows the growth of wound wood that naturally encapsulate pruning cuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X