Protein Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein Feeder

Making a protein feeder out an old feeder and pvc pipe. How far off ground would you put the T where the fed comes out? 30" off ground?

Originally posted by Travis Deveney View Post
    Making a protein feeder out an old feeder and pvc pipe. How far off ground would you put the T where the fed comes out? 30" off ground?
    38”

Comment

High enought to keep the coons from standing on their hind legs and cleaning you out. 38-42 to start with and see what happens

Comment

No lower then 40". Like mentioned coons will stand on there hind legs and empty it. 40"-42"

Comment

For down spout feeders, optimal height is 42"-44" to the bottom of the pan/feed opening. Larger coons can still jump and grab it if you're not using CoonHoods. But it helps keep the smaller ones off of it.

The deer don't have to bend down any to get the feed. So it makes them feel more secure when feeding. Does can rake it out for fawns. I use to have pics of that.

I used to have a link for a DIY down tube feeder I did several years ago out of 4x4" square tubing explaining every step and why. It included some game cam pics. Guess it got lost in one of a few TBH crashes.

Comment

Thanks Goin raise it up

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
              For down spout feeders, optimal height is 42"-44" to the bottom of the pan/feed opening. Larger coons can still jump and grab it if you're not using CoonHoods. But it helps keep the smaller ones off of it.

The deer don't have to bend down any to get the feed. So it makes them feel more secure when feeding. Does can rake it out for fawns. I use to have pics of that.

I used to have a link for a DIY down tube feeder I did several years ago out of 4x4" square tubing explaining every step and why. It included some game cam pics. Guess it got lost in one of a few TBH crashes.

Build it so you can use CoonHoods.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                Build it so you can use CoonHoods.

Back when I was building them, Coon Hoods was a dream.

Found a link to one of my builds. Had to track it down by my "User PC" and "Attachments". But the others are long gone from before the last crashes. I even noted that there was one year where I had no attachments. So, I'm guessing it got caught up in one of those as TBH had several crashes between Oct 2006 and a little after.

Here's a quick fix protein down tube for a feeder if you have some 4x4" tubing lying around. (circa 2008ish)

Comment

Thanks Texas Grown

Comment

If you want to run Coonhoods, you can get an attachable lower unit with hoods already built on. https://www.coonhood.com/product-pag...way-lower-unit

With that being said, 40" is pretty much the sweet spot for chute height.

Comment

41”

Comment

Working...
                      X