Now might be a time to reconsider cable TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
    The cable is what brings the service to your house and then splits off to rooms and devices. You cut the video portion of that service. The cable isn't cut.

Lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    I believe the word "cut" is just a term for getting rid of. I really don't think they "cut" the cable. LOL

Comment

GVEC has been offering fiber optic internet in my area, considering making the switch. I also have Hughes satellite, and it is not the greatest

Comment

The cable is what brings the service to your house and then splits off to rooms and devices. You cut the video portion of that service. The cable isn't cut.

Lol.

Semantics, you just like to argue.

Comment

Me and my wife watch circle TV it's awesome [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
            I believe the word "cut" is just a term for getting rid of. I really don't think they "cut" the cable. LOL
            Exactly! Cutting the cable or cutting the cord just means freeing oneself of being tied to cable TV. There are too many options today which are a lot cheaper.

Now, with Netflix inching their prices up every year and not really getting a lot more for it, I am sure someone some day will come out with a better mousetrap just like they did initially to the traditional cable companies.

I do believe if the the cable companies would have changed their pricing models to allow a la cart pricing per channel, or small bundle packages like Sling TV etc. have done, they would have not lost so many customers.

I don't need to pay $100 per month for 350+ channels, of which I only watch may 5 or 6 at the most. Anyway, I would not have a problem going back to cable if and when they have channel choices which meet my needs at a reasonable price. This would be outside of the major networks because remember, those are free if you have a simple HD antenna.

Comment

Yes we have Hughes. I use my Hotspot which is faster.

I fairly confident in saying everything is faster than Satellite .
              LOS has its inherent downfalls but they aren't as bad as satellite service.
              I guess the election knocked Elon back a few steps....

Comment

I think Elon is the only reason a few on the ISP's are finally getting off their butts and doing something about the people on the fringes. They know Starlink (or whatever it's called) is coming and they will never get any of those people once it arrives.

Comment

We’ve been using Nextlink LOS for couple years now. It works ok for streaming Netflix/prime, but can be a little frustrating surfing the net. We had >200mbps when we lived in Georgetown, but limp along out here in the country with 8-12mbps. Got an antennae up in the attic that gets us a bunch of local channels. Overall probably spend a lot less time watching TV than when we had a big cable package, which is a good thing. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If you took the Tv completely out of my house the only difference I’d notice is no scooby doo in the background. There is zero I watch, zero news source or weather that’s reliable.... so it was easy for me

Comment

Wife has(or had, until recently) several shows she watched, which was a hurdle. It started out as just having Netflix, then Hulu, then CBS, and Now Disney+(that one is my fault, but to be fair, mandolorian is pretty great). It started out as a "just this month to binge x show", but the test revealed that was a lie.
                      Since I have to have internet at home for work, I dont count that. So we're still welllll ahead of the ball on cable cost wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Davoh View Post
                        Wife has(or had, until recently) several shows she watched, which was a hurdle. It started out as just having Netflix, then Hulu, then CBS, and Now Disney+(that one is my fault, but to be fair, mandolorian is pretty great). It started out as a "just this month to binge x show", but the test revealed that was a lie.
                        Since I have to have internet at home for work, I dont count that. So we're still welllll ahead of the ball on cable cost wise.
                        Exactly. You can't count the internet. You were going to have that anyway.

Comment

Got a new internet provider upgraded to highest, dumped land line, bought fire stick, dumped cable and bought a antenna for local channels. Cost me just under 100.00 for internet. Was paying about 220.

Comment

I was paying $220 for cable and cut it. Upgraded internet to fiber and get 1000 mbps up and down for $70 a month. Upgraded WiFi to the Mesh system and got YouTube TV. Between YouTube tv, Amazon and Disney plus, we have all we need.

Comment

Cracks me up when people day they "cut the cable" yet they still have it for internet service.
                              You've been in the industry your whole life and don't know what cut the cable means?

Comment

Originally posted by TexRkana View Post
                                I was paying $220 for cable and cut it. Upgraded internet to fiber and get 1000 mbps up and down for $70 a month. Upgraded WiFi to the Mesh system and got YouTube TV. Between YouTube tv, Amazon and Disney plus, we have all we need.
                                YouTube TV is awesome. A couple friends and I split the cost - it allows you to register up to six accounts (with separate emails/logins) and stream on up to three devices at once. The unlimited dvr is great also.

Comment

Working...
                                X