No announcement yet.

How much money.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I pretty much only eat wild game when it comes to meat.

The meat is free.

The beer, gas, and corn is real expensive !

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BertramBass View Post
      I just bought half a steer. Don't remember all the ins and outs but it appears to be around 250 pounds of meat. $700 for the half, $300 to process.

Prolly over payed but it tastes awesome...
      I think thats about right. There is no shortage of people who will tell you they get wagyu or free range grass finished for less but then they’ll never give up their secret source (assuming it actually exists).

Comment

You do not want to know or your wife to know how much that wild game is per pound!

Comment

I hunt public and one free private place. I spend wayyyyyy more on deer meat than I would ever spend at the grocery store. Granted, I like new gear and nice things. But a minimalist in my shoes could theoretically save money, yes.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Even though the land I’m hunting is “free”(don’t forget the tax bill). When I factor in the time spent in a stand, skinning, processing and storing. I’m not saving any money. However, since I’m not going to a Psyco-Therapist, I am saving money. So, it’s a wash.

Comment

I could save a boat load of dough by NOT eating wild game. Hunting is EXPENSIVE!

Comment

$0 savings. Owned land or lease, with all the additional costs added in wild game is way more expensive than domestic meat. Argument can be made for public land but still don’t think it’s cheaper.

Comment

Legally I doubt you could save anything. In hard times a box of 22 shells will last a long time.

Comment

Growing up we raised or hunted our meat and had a large vegetable garden. We ate rabbits and squirrels along with pheasent and ducks. Raised rabbits and chickens. Hated plucking those feathers

Comment

Venison is by far the most expensive meat I eat... I would be better off (financially) buying Kobe beef!

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
                        If you own your land and can shoot straight I think you probably can. We were pretty poor growing up. We had 40 acres and I remember my dad cutting up deer when looking back on it now was not even close to deer season in Oklahoma.

With what most of us do with leases and feed and blinds and gear, not even close. More expensive than a coke and Hooker habit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I tried this logic with my wife once when she complained about how much I spent on hunting. I said well whores and blow are probably cheaper, I’d you would prefer I do that.

She didn’t think it was funny

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                          I tried this logic with my wife once when she complained about how much I spent on hunting. I said well whores and blow are probably cheaper, I’d you would prefer I do that.

She didn’t think it was funny

Yea, that’s probably one of those things you’re not actually supposed to say out loud. [emoji6][emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My dad and his siblings grew up in poverty stricken Oklahoma back in the hills where the coal mines fizzled out. You’d hardly know there actually used to be a town there. The major parts burned down twice a long time ago.

Dad and his younger brother were the only kids still too young to leave home when their parents divorced. He did what he could to try and earn money but it was a very long walk to the towns with any sizable businesses. Dad survived by doing what he learned to do at a very early age. He put food on the table by fishing and hunting. They picked wild fruit, grew gardens and canned the extra. Since walking was a given, you only shot deer that you could carry on your shoulders. They had permission to hunt and fish on many of the surrounding ranches.

Comment

I can’t remember the last time I bought any sort of meat from a store besides Boston butts but I doubt I save money. It is nice though having a <160$ grocery bill a month.

Comment

I calced it once. Hunting family land for free, I could still save money buying meat. I like knowing what I'm eating though.

Comment

Working...
                                X