Mechanical blades and shoot thru mesh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanical blades and shoot thru mesh?

I decided to invest the time to build a box bow blind for the new lease this year.
    Construction took longer than expected but I finally got it setup this weekend.
    I built my front window 25" tall X 35" wide so I could shoot from sitting position and standing. Now, I think I may have made the window too big and want install shoot thru mesh to provide some concealment.
    Have any of you who shoot mechanical heads had issues with the mesh engaging the blades? I shoot the Rage two blade head.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Blind.png
Views:	1
Size:	1,022.3 KB
ID:	25263061

Good job on the blind. If it was me I would hang some mesh down to help with concealment but I would not shoot through it.

Comment

No way for me with mechanical and mesh..

Comment

Mechanicals + shoot through mesh = DISASTER

From everything I have read or heard

But since you are set up in the yard, stick a target out there and do some testing. Then you can confirm what most believe or disprove it

Comment

Thanks for the input guys!
          Based on info , I'll be going with hanging camo burlap curtain with an open to shoot.
          Headed to the lease again weekend after next, we'll see how it works.
          I haven't been this amped about hunting season in a few years.

Comment

On my windows I basically put a small curtain 'rod' of heavy gauges wire across the top and bottom with some heave black vinyl you can buy at walmart. It wont blow in the the wind like like if you use cloth or shoot through material. I keep about a 3" wide gap and that gives me plenty of shooting area and field of vision. If you need to adjust just slide it a little on the wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggies96 View Post
              On my windows I basically put a small curtain 'rod' of heavy gauges wire across the top and bottom with some heave black vinyl you can buy at walmart. It wont blow in the the wind like like if you use cloth or shoot through material. I keep about a 3" wide gap and that gives me plenty of shooting area and field of vision. If you need to adjust just slide it a little on the wire.
              Thanks for the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

But since you are set up in the yard, stick a target out there and do some testing. Then you can confirm what most believe or disprove it
                This right here.
                Always practice the way you are going to hunt and practice with the heads you are going to use.

Comment

Years ago I did a test and shot a grim reaper 2 blade thru mesh. I had no failure. That being said I probably wouldn't shoot thru in a hunting situation though.

Comment

I have and as long as the mesh is tight I’ve never had any problem.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                      This right here.
                      Always practice the way you are going to hunt and practice with the heads you are going to use.
                      Unfortunately the blind is already setup at the lease.
                      I'll have to make modifications when I hunt in a couple of weeks.
                      Hope changes to the blind won't spook the deer.

Comment

I have shot Spitfires and several other mechanicals through shoot-through camo mesh without issue. As mentioned, the key is to have it tight across the window and secured well. I can't speak to the Rage head specifically.

Comment

Some mechanicals shoot fine through mesh. Rage( shock collar version)Grim Reaper Fatal steel( shoot well for me with blades open or closed),Afflictor Hybrids (my favorite), Rocky Mountain Snypers(gonna be hard to find) . Tested these several times over the years out to 40yds through mesh. Even tested them on angled shots. All worked great.
                          Last edited by ShaBow; 10-11-2021, 02:25 PM.

Comment

I got some of the OLD 2-blad spitfires, and them suckers will shoot right through mesh no problem. The clips holds the blades tighter then the new spitfires. Got four packs, never been used. Fly like a field point.

Comment

Hang netting and cut a diamond hole out of center for broadhead. The ol ToothDoc special.

Comment

Working...
                              X