Compound Target Shooting Bow Question for buddy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compound Target Shooting Bow Question for buddy

One of my best Alberta friends asked me to pick the brains of my Texas Bowhunting buddies. He is worldly hunter and has restarted bowhunting with a passion (killed a huge Moose last year). Now thinking about going into target and 3d shooting and wonders aloud if he shouldn't make an equipment change.

For those of you that hunt and compete....do you use different equipment and if so, what would you be buying if you were upgrading your competition compound set up?

Thanks in advance...
    Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Most of the serious 3D guys had target specific rigs back when I was doing it. I always shot bowhunter class with my hunting rig because it was about preparing and practicing for hunting while being able to have fun and compete at the same time for me.

Comment

It all depends on which class he wants to complete in. Hunter class? No change. Open class, Pins, trad? He’ll need to match his equipment to the event.

Comment

With myself I had my hunting rig and a target rig. I shot indoor 5 spot, field and 3D off and on for the last 25 yrs. I set mine up to be a back up for the other. So my bows were basically the same with maybe different sight or stabilizer. Big tournaments where money was on the line (travel cost, hotels, and entry fees) both bows went. The same with hunting, if I paid for a hunt or planned on a week of hunting both bows went. I wasn’t leaving my hunting early because of bow failure.

Just my $.02

Comment

I used the same bow I hunted with to shoot 3D with, when I started. I shot women’s hunter in ASA, and bowhunter freestyle in NFAA. When I won out of WH and moved to an open class, I continued to use my hunting bow and just put longer bars on it and changed the sight. It wasn’t until I moved to a freestyle class in NFAA that I bought a ‘target’ bow, and went to a blade rest vs the Trophy Taker I had on my hunting bow. I would find out what organization your friend is interested in shooting, and what class, and go from there.

Comment

Most “hunting bows” are capable of target levels of accuracy for the common shooter. Find out what he’d like to compete in, and let him find the gear best suited for it. If he feels the need to move to a target bow then he’ll eventually do so to avoid tuning different set ups on the same bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X