Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have y’all ever seen this on a deer backstrap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have y’all ever seen this on a deer backstrap?

On Sunday, my grandson arrowed a doe with his new crossbow. We waited 5-6 hours before gutting her. Temps were in the mid 30s SW of Bowie. Probably 8-9 hours after arrow flinging, we skinned and quartered her. The weird thing was when I went to remove the backstrap. After cutting the backstrap at the hip, the thing just came right out. I didn’t need a knife to remove it as it just came out by itself all the way to the neck. This happened on both sides. I’ve never removed a backstrap without using a knife to separate it from the backbone. I’ve tried to attach a photo showing the clean backbone. My concern is that it may have started to spoil, but there was no unusual odor. Have y’all ever seen this before? Any cause for concern?
    Attached Files

I always trust my nose. If it doesn't smell, it's probably fine.

The texture is normal?

Comment

No concern. You just hit it at the exact right time. I love it when that happens.

Comment

Zombie deer. Rare disorder.

Comment

No smell, no worries.

Comment

I've never seen it, so I'm no help! Can't imagine why it would be bad, but can't imagine that it just pulled right out either. HMMM

Comment

very young deer?

Comment

If you have any concern, I can pm you my address.... and Ill test it for ya.

I have had a couple that have pulled right out before. I like to consider it luck of the draw. sometimes its a fight and sometimes it pulls out like butta

Comment

The texture on the meat seemed perfectly normal. The doe was probably 2-3 years old.
                  I was really proud of my grandson. He used what was my crossbow to take this doe all on his own. Will is eight years old and this is the first deer he has taken without assistance. Good times for this Paw Paw.

Comment

I’ve had it happen but rare. Chicken fry, hot grease will kill anything! Good work paw paw!!

Comment

Ain’t nothing wrong with it. It’s nice when they come off that easy!

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. Sounds like backstrap is what’s for supper tonight. Now I just need to figure out how to get the next doe to do like this.

Comment

Congrats to Will.[emoji95][emoji1018][emoji95]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

You sir, have a "real" tenderloin

Comment

Nice kill.

Comment

Working...
                              X