Armed forces suicide..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Armed forces suicide..

I just found out another troop I served with commit suicide last Monday. There are an average of 18 suicides a year associated with Ft. Hood. I have no idea why the numbers have increased so much, but I believe it has to do with the softness of our culture. We have become an entitled, pampered nation. These young recruits aren't used to being held accountable for their actions. They aren't used to hard criticism and stern redirection. So many are giving up before they've even lived. It's a **** shame.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Agreed and well said Speedgoat.

Comment

Perhaps it's an issue of value, identity, and purpose...not a matter of soft or comfort living. The approach needs to shift as the old way of breaking someone's will in order to mold them back wont work when they come in broken already.

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
        Perhaps it's an issue of value, identity, and purpose...not a matter of soft or comfort living. The approach needs to shift as the old way of breaking someone's will in order to mold them back wont work when they come in broken already.
        Could be. I think our children aren't ready for failure, as our system has created a society of mediocrity and acceptance.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedgoat View Post
          Could be. I think our children aren't ready for failure, as our system has created a society of mediocrity and acceptance.

I agree 100% and social media doesn’t help them! They see all these “perfect” people on social media and it makes them feel insecure/inadequate…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've lost a few friends to suicide and I'll never understand it. You must really get in a really dark place to hurt yourself. We're softer as a society for sure, my Dad was a tough man and his Dad was as tough a guy as I ever met. We're all at fault in making the next generation have it better/easier I guess. Life is hard, I guess it's too hard for some. Stay strong out there men.

Comment

I just found out another troop I served with commit suicide last Monday. There are an average of 18 suicides a year associated with Ft. Hood. I have no idea why the numbers have increased so much, but I believe it has to do with the softness of our culture. We have become an entitled, pampered nation. These young recruits aren't used to being held accountable for their actions. They aren't used to hard criticism and stern redirection. So many are giving up before they've even lived. It's a **** shame.

Yep, very true.

Comment

Yep , some are get a ribbon/ trophy win or lose . Some can’t handle real life problems, with out a restart button, sometimes people can’t compartmentlize that bad things happen to people and it’s beyond fault or blame, and will never make sense

When your behind a M110 or m24 and orders don’t make sense , they never will

Comment

An old school doctor makes his employees take what he calls a personality test. Says it reveals if a person is suicidal. I have no idea on who came up with the test. Has 200 questions. The answers for each question is either a plus sign (+) , a lower case letter m (m) or a dash or subtraction sign (-).

Have you ever heard of such a test? I’m curious about the accuracy of it and whether or not it could be helpful in identifying suicidal soldiers and to help prevent it.

Comment

Self worth. Some have some, some have it too much, some have too little, some dont have it at all. Many tie their self worth up into a squirrely pink taco.

Very recently, one of my civilian junior Marines going through a bad divorce decided to make a series of bad decisions that ultimately caused him to brandish a rifle to patrol officers…and his death.

Godspeed Goat.

Comment

Man, I don't know. I don't know of any of the guys that I served with that committed suicide. One of my Ranger buddies had served 3 tours in VN as a combat medic in the 173rd BEFORE we went to Ranger. My Ranger Buddy for the mountain phase had survived Hamburger Hill in the 101st. I know a lot of things were different then, but not sure what would lead to that. I sure hate to hear it though.

Comment

I did a little research a while back I was having some issues that was caused by a disease attacking my brain.I was having horrible suicidal cravings with PTSD,I had a TBI and chemical imbalance and chemical absence.It was a horrible horrible affliction.In doing research I found that approx 1 veteran takes his life every hour and 1.5 active personnel do so every day.I was really shocked to see these kinds of numbers,it broke my heart.I read stories of valor,bravery and survival just to succumb to some kind of mental anguish.I don’t know about the younger crowd coming up but society and upbringing are making a weaker generation.But I also think with each generation there just weaker because they are getting further from perfection and their kids oh wow I really feel for them.Every generation just seems a little more watered down than the previous.I’m a little worried that if Jesus doesn’t step in and fix things there won’t be any one left to keep the lights on.I sure hate folks feel that kind of pressure and pain to take their own life.I never understood it until I was looking down a barrel a few times myself I’m glad I got through and finally figured out the problem.I’m not scared of much but I do fear having those thoughts and feelings again.

Comment

Originally posted by RedBear78 View Post
                          I did a little research a while back I was having some issues that was caused by a disease attacking my brain.I was having horrible suicidal cravings with PTSD,I had a TBI and chemical imbalance and chemical absence.It was a horrible horrible affliction.In doing research I found that approx 1 veteran takes his life every hour and 1.5 active personnel do so every day.I was really shocked to see these kinds of numbers,it broke my heart.I read stories of valor,bravery and survival just to succumb to some kind of mental anguish.I don’t know about the younger crowd coming up but society and upbringing are making a weaker generation.But I also think with each generation there just weaker because they are getting further from perfection and their kids oh wow I really feel for them.Every generation just seems a little more watered down than the previous.I’m a little worried that if Jesus doesn’t step in and fix things there won’t be any one left to keep the lights on.I sure hate folks feel that kind of pressure and pain to take their own life.I never understood it until I was looking down a barrel a few times myself I’m glad I got through and finally figured out the problem.I’m not scared of much but I do fear having those thoughts and feelings again.
                          Thank you for your service.
                          You are not alone. I hope you have had good treatment and live a long blessed life.

Comment

I can't speak from a military standpoint but I've known people and known of people that have committed suicide for various reasons. One common thing I've noticed in most cases is the use of drugs or alcohol or both. Which makes sense if you think about it. If a person is depressed a lot of times instead of talking about it they turn to these things. Which in turn alters their way of thinking. And in some way I'm sure it makes it easier to do. Nobody in their right mind,depressed or not can consciously hurt themselves or people that love them. That's just my take on it.

I know for a fact a kid I went to school with would still be here had he not been messed up on drugs. The problems he was running from weren't problems that would have lasted forever. Like most problems people deal with aren't. He wasn't thinking clearly. I know him and it wasn't him that pulled that trigger. He wasn't himself because of the things that were controlling his thoughts which in turn controlled his actions. I think that is the case in these situations more than people think. Obviously not every time but it seems like a majority of the time some kind of substance took part in that person deciding to take their own life.

From the outside looking in I can see how that can especially happen to people that have served in the military. They're trained to be the toughest fighting machines on planet earth so maybe it's hard for them to reach out for help when it comes to dealing with the feelings they have inside? They ain't tryin to look or feel weak any more than any other person on earth. I could be completely wrong but I can see that being the case. I think there should be more support groups out there for veterans that may be suffering from PTSD and things. Platforms where veterans can share their experiences with other veterans who have been there and done that. Because that's who they need to talk to. Not a civilian that's never had those kind of feelings or had those same experiences.
                            Last edited by okrattler; 08-30-2021, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Guy I went to Artillery School with spilled his brains outside of the barracks at Ft Hood in front of everyone. We found out later he was on Lithium and his recruiter knew and told him to stop taking it so he could enlist. A lot of those that enlist are on their last string anyways so probably adds to the high suicide rate.

Comment

Working...
                              X