Back surgery............advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
    Woke up with a numb right arm the last two mornings. My neck is about done...........
    If you’ve been shooting any long guns lately, you might want to be sure you don’t have a blood clot. Had this happen to two people I know.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
      My girlfriend had the synthetic disk replacement at the ripe old age 23.
      Go in from the front, chisel it out, and then hammer the new one in.
      Lifespan of 20 yrs, only a few doctors in the world that will replace a synthetic disk, none in the US(as of 6 yrs ago).
      Should be fun when she hits her 40s, not sure how that will be handled.
      Worst experience of her life for sure, maybe mine as well .
      I showed her a video on YouTube the night before, and she started balling
      3 days in the hospital, and almost 7 months off HELL.
      The nerves growing back and all that good stuff, was horrible, and took forever to heal and the pain go away.
      Her feet would burn like they were on fire, and she would just scream, then her legs would be numb, then her back would be on fire, then her toes would sound off, over and over and over, day after day.
      Spent those months in lazyboy, it was the only way she could tolerate it.
      Her grandfather had died from cancer about 2 yrs previous and her mom still had a big bottle of liquid morphine, were it not for that I would have had to just knock her out lol.
      Couple drops under her tongue, and goodnight.
      All in all though, it was a gamechanger.
      She has no residual pain of anykind, never bothers her, etc..
      I bet people frequently get you confused with The Bluebird of Happiness!
      Last edited by ThisLadyHunts; 08-24-2021, 09:23 PM.

Comment

For those in the holding pattern for surgery…please consider stretching…alot. Before bed…before getting out of bed, after exercise. The tendons, ligaments, bones amd muscles need stretching.

I get more inquiries at the gas station whilst pumping gas and stretching on the tailgate. Helps my spine and joint thrombosis-ishness caused by prolonged static driving posture.

Good luck MrFlyby. I hope your back feels better.

Comment

Originally posted by NannySlayer View Post
          Howdy,
          Been there, done that, effed up cause I rushed it, and did it again.
          Started out with a micro discectomy and laminectomy. “You’ll be good in 3 months….”
          Pushed it and effed up lead me to more surgeries.
          L5; S1 fusion was my last one.
          It’s been amazing.
          I don’t live with chronic pain. If I have some ache I use a heating pad or ice and I’m good.
          Physical therapy is a MUST.
          Wear the dang brace.

I recommend Texas Back Institute if you’re in the DFW area. Overall I’m glad I did it.
          Took about 6 months after the fusion to get back to fighting fire but it was worth it.

And TAKE IT EASY.
          Message me with questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Yep, Texas Back Institute with Dr. Guyer. He's been doing spinal surgery since 1981 and did Tiger Woods after his first car accident. Figure he must know what he's doing and it seems every doc I talk to knows him and says he's about the best there is.

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
          For those in the holding pattern for surgery…please consider stretching…alot. Before bed…before getting out of bed, after exercise. The tendons, ligaments, bones amd muscles need stretching.

I get more inquiries at the gas station whilst pumping gas and stretching on the tailgate. Helps my spine and joint thrombosis-ishness caused by prolonged static driving posture.

Good luck MrFlyby. I hope your back feels better.
          Thanks to all for the advice, but I could do without the horror stories!!!

I know it won't be pleasant, but been having issues the past year and a half and just the past few weeks things have been getting quite a bit worse, so I know it has to be done.

Told my wife I'm not a good patient, so she's free to pack up and go stay somewhere else for awhile. I think this may end up being harder on her than me! :-)

Comment

I had mine done last May. L4,L5&S1 fusion. I'm 32 years old now and a conductor for the railroad. I was out of work for almost 3 months before I went back. It was the best thing I ever did. Dr Guyer was the 1st surgeon I went to see and didn't like what he had to say. I found a 2nd surgeon and liked him from the start and that's who I used. Dr Friedman out of Bryan is the one who did mine. Id be more than happy to answer any questions you may have just feel free to ask.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
              If you’ve been shooting any long guns lately, you might want to be sure you don’t have a blood clot. Had this happen to two people I know.
              Woke up ok this morning. No long guns. Just an old whip lash messing with me..................

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                I bet people frequently get you confused with The Bluebird of Happiness!
                Daily

Comment

I had a 360 fusion of L4-S1 done. It did take a long time to get all of the way back to doing most things, but it was absolutely worth it. Back doesn't bother me near as much and when it does flare up, Aleve will take care of it. Like was stated above, walk as much as you can, especially after surgery. There is nothing that made my back feel better than getting up and walking. I would go on short walks 4-5 times a day and just gradually extend the distance, as I could. Good luck!

Comment

L5/S1 fusion on a Thursday
                    Home on Saturday
                    Back to work the next Friday
                    Best thing I ever did

There are some days it might be a little stiff but definitely worth it

Comment

My wife pushed me into the hospital in a wheel chair before daylight. Walked out around 5 that afternoon. That was about 10 years ago. Best thing I did at the time. Microdiscectomy

Comment

Wife just had her L4 L5 and S1 fused 7 weeks ago. She just started back at her job yesterday. We got an electric recliner that she slept in the first 6 weeks. Full recovery is supposed to be 6 months to a year. She still cant bend over or lift more than 5 pounds, but is doing well.

Comment

have had 3 spinal surgeries and 3 lumbar surgeries. My body carried too much weight way too long, and i have spinal stenosis. I will say this...once operated on, i have never been the same. I've had discectomy, laminectomy, and fusions. The pain is better, but there are still bad days. Follow the doctor's instructions...do your rehab! DO NOT RUSH! You'll be okay. Good luck!

Comment

I had C4-C7 fused 10yrs ago at 42 and recovery wasn’t super painful, but 24/7 in hard neck brace made sleeping difficult. Had L5/S1 fused (360) later the same year and it took me a solid 14-15 months to be completely pain free and off pain medication. Was pain free for several years and now at 52, L3 and L4 are giving me trouble, but maintained for now with injections and Tylenol#4. Hoping future stem cell treatment may help them. I’m pretty sure my surgeon said fusions take 6 months to completely fuse with a bone stimulator (which I used.) Do yourself a favor and get a tempurpedic mattress. Tax is waived if doctor writes you a script for it. I never wake up with back pain after sleeping on it, even if it hurt when I went to bed. Dr Bryce Benbow in Dallas did both of my surgeries and he’s wonderful! Best of luck to you.
                            Last edited by Bellavita; 08-25-2021, 08:59 AM.

Comment

If you need any thing while you are down just let me know Kirby.

Comment

Working...
                              X