Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LEM vs Weston vs Cabela's Carnivore

ok, time for a new grinder.
    Had a homemade one and it is not the safest thing in the world with the pully wheel next to the infeed. Motor went out on it.

Typically only do a max of 2 deer a year, make chili meat and smoked sausage.
    Size 12 or 22?

And pros and cons of the LEM vs Weston vs Cabela's Carnivore?
    thanks.

I love my LEM. Get the biggest they got, it's worth it.

Comment

I am partial to the Cabelas 1HP but we do more meat than you do. I wouldn't go with anything less than the 3/4HP on any of them. When you get a nice grinder you find other things to grind or use it for.... There are several attachments that make it useful elsewhere. Nobody has ever said "my grinder is way too big. Wish I would have got smaller." Go big or go home.

Comment

I have LEM #12, will grind as fast as you can feed it. I bought mine at Academy on clearance. Get the foot pedal on/off switch.

Comment

Did you intentionally leave out Hobart? They are a big name in the restaurant business with all types and levels of food processing equipment.

Comment

I have the cabelas #22 and it’s a beast. I’ve never had it so much as whimper even feeding it as fast as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I was looking at the #8 .5hp cabelas carnivore. Is the 3/4hp #12 that much of an upgrade over the #8? For a home user doing 3, maybe 4 deer/year (burgers and sausage). Are they comparable for stuffing sausage? Im guessing a dedicated sausage stuffer is better, but that may be another bit before purchase. How about the cheaper tenderizers that you roll the meat through?

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
                I was looking at the #8 .5hp cabelas carnivore. Is the 3/4hp #12 that much of an upgrade over the #8? For a home user doing 3, maybe 4 deer/year (burgers and sausage). Are they comparable for stuffing sausage? Im guessing a dedicated sausage stuffer is better, but that may be another bit before purchase. How about the cheaper tenderizers that you roll the meat through?

For $50? Hell yes!

I stuff off of my 1HP Cabelas with the help of the plastic horn auger that comes with it. Sucker will move some meat through the casings without pulverizing....

Comment

I can't speak to the Weston but prefer LEM over Cabelas. My Cabelas model was terrible. I think Smart and I have discussed it before, it could have been a lemon.....Never had an issue with the LEM.

Comment

I bought a tiny little LEM about 15 years ago. Been wanting a bigger one for years but this little thing never quits, no telling how much we've ground from it but probably pushing triple digits. I have no experience with the other brands because this **** LEM won't quit. lol

Comment

I got a deal on a new LEM #12 3/4 hp. I bought the Harbor Freight foot pedal to go with it. Ground up my last deer and made some sausage with it. I am sure the 1 hp would never bog down but I had no issues with the 3/4 hp.

Comment

I bought my dad the $100 LEM several years ago. I grind about two deer a year with it. It does the job but is a bit slow mad can big down. I believe it's an 8#

Comment

thanks for the thoughts all!

Comment

I don’t own a commercial grinder but, for what it’s worth, here’s my personal philosophy on purchases such as is this;

Less is More when it comes to cologne, confessions, cocktails, and cannabis.

More is More when it comes to the purchase if equipment. More horsepower. More watts. More size. More features. More quality. There’s no such thing as too much.

Remember, it’s better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                              I don’t own a commercial grinder but, for what it’s worth, here’s my personal philosophy on purchases such as is this;

Less is More when it comes to cologne, confessions, cocktails, and cannabis.

More is More when it comes to the purchase if equipment. More horsepower. More watts. More size. More features. More quality. There’s no such thing as too much.

Remember, it’s better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I like the way you think![emoji23].

OP buy what you can afford.. or save more and afford more. You won’t be disappointed.... well until you run out of things to grind quickly until the next batch golf whatever comes around! [emoji23][emoji23]. Don’ forget your can grind brisket for hamburger [emoji41]

Comment

Working...
                              X