Positive tiller tolerances.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much is too much? With all this extra time on my hands I’ve been diving more into tuning my Sarrels Ridgecat. I’m pushing 7/8 inch between the top limb and bottom. Everything I find online talks about 1/8-1/4 inch. Brace height is set at 8 1/8 inches. I am sure it all depends on the bow and who made it. Just trying to learn something and thanks.

Have you tried swapping the limbs top to bottom to top? 7/8ths is a lot more than what I've been told as well.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      Have you tried swapping the limbs top to bottom to top? 7/8ths is a lot more than what I've been told as well.

Gary
      Not possible due to the cut out difference on the limbs for the riser.

Comment

Call Bob.
        PM sent
        Gary
        Last edited by DRT; 04-03-2020, 09:13 AM.

Comment

I think you might want to measure from your fades. If notice by measuring from the end of the riser your top tape is much closer to the shelf/center of the bow than the bottom tape. I could be wrong, but that is what I would try first

Comment

On that bow, I would take my measurement at the fade outs of the limbs, instead of at the ends of the riser.

At the fades will give you a more accurate measurement of tiller.

Rick

Comment

Still at 7/8's at the fade outs. I'll shoot Bob a text and see what he thinks.

Thanks,

Comment

Bob is saying to measure at the riser and he likes it to be 1/4 to 3/8's. No limb twist that I can see. After this shelter in place thing is over I'll take it to him.

Comment

Let us know how things turn out.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                    Bob is saying to measure at the riser and he likes it to be 1/4 to 3/8's. No limb twist that I can see. After this shelter in place thing is over I'll take it to him.
                    Id ask him if I could shim a limb. Id start with a piece of vinyl from a 2” window blind if he said GO...then go from there.

Are you having trouble with paper tuning arrows?

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                      Id ask him if I could shim a limb. Id start with a piece of vinyl from a 2” window blind if he said GO...then go from there.

Are you having trouble with paper tuning arrows?

I thought about shimming it but wasn’t sure if that’s a common practice.

Comment

It’s not common, but has been done. It needs to be a tapered wedge, and a very small wedge will make a big difference. I have done this to one of my bows.

The only way to “fix” it, is to work on the limb to get it back into specs. That will cause a draw weight reduction. The one I did the wedge on was done that way because I didn’t want to lose any draw weight.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I guess I would need to know which limb I’m having the issue with. I feel like it would be the bottom???

Comment

I backed out the bottom limb bolt and this is the gap to get it to 3/8.

That’s a full 1/8 inch.

Comment

Do you still have plenty of threads on the bolt into the insert?

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X