Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are the Beef/Chicken/Pig Ranchers doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are the Beef/Chicken/Pig Ranchers doing?

Everytime I've gone to the store they are out of Hamburger, Chops, Bacon, Hotdogs, Sausage, Limited supplies of Chicken, etc.

I got up and went to Kroger this morning and surprised as it seems rather normal with more older people doing their shopping. Seemed to have all of the normal stuff, except lots of empty areas where meat used to be.

Just wonder how they are holding up and wondering if they are getting asked to supply more animals, etc.

all you FFA and 4H show animals are up for sale

If you are looking to buy meat. look to buy from a kid.

Look up Stock Show Auctions on FB

Comment

Cattle futures are down, just the same as everything else. Packers and feedlots have plenty of cattle, just buy what you need.

Comment

Cattle prices are down, down, down. Beef prices are up, up, up.

Comment

A large percentage of grocers are reserving the first 2 hours of operation during this COVID event to older citizens. The hysteria has made things difficult for them plus that age group definitely needs to have social spacing enforced.

Comment

I just talked to my vet buddy and he said the cattle folks (feedlots) are hurting in a VERY bad way

Comment

Looks like I'll be sitting on these calves for a while....

Comment

Packer margins are large right now, boxed beef continues to rise. Prices lower in the barn on feeder & stocker calves. Packer cow & bull prices are higher right now than they have been in year or more. The producers, and feedyards are feeling the pressure, unless they had the calves contracted way out.

Comment

This surge won't last long.
                  Restaurants/schools not ordering will hurt .
                  Price might come up some because you get more per pound when not in bulk
                  Buy into Huggies
                  Mom and dad will have more time together=more babies in 9 months

Comment

Don't people keep some food in their houses? I think its hilarious when you go to the store and the shelves are empty! I'm single and have enough food in my house to survive for at least 6 months! And I'm not a prepper, either!

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
                      Don't people keep some food in their houses? I think its hilarious when you go to the store and the shelves are empty! I'm single and have enough food in my house to survive for at least 6 months! And I'm not a prepper, either!

Glad all these panicked and scared people can amuse you.

I too have at least 6 months worth.

Comment

Understood. Change that scenario to 2-3 high school age boys that are eating machines and you will see it in a different light, lol.

I am currently going through 5-7 pounds of sausage/bacon/meat a day feeding 5 people.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          Understood. Change that scenario to 2-3 high school age boys that are eating machines and you will see it in a different light, lol.

I am currently going through 5-7 pounds of sausage/bacon/meat a day feeding 5 people.
                          if we can get an express going I'll send some down to you. Between my parents and myself we have 3 deer in our freezers. 4 adults and a toddler between the two houses so we have plenty of venison to share

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post

I had a couple teenage boy once so I understand how much they eat. I did it, too when I was growing up.

People's families have not dramatically increased or changed over the last month. The shelves weren't bare a month or two ago. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a need for people to do the panic buying that is going on right now. Is everyone eating three times as much food as what they normally do? Why do people need a 5 year supply of toilet paper just because they've been asked to practice social distancing? That's the part that I find funny.

Comment

I had a couple teenage boy once so I understand how much they eat. I did it, too when I was growing up.

People's families have not dramatically increased or changed over the last month. The shelves weren't bare a month or two ago. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a need for people to do the panic buying that is going on right now. Is everyone eating three times as much food as what they normally do? Why do people need a 5 year supply of toilet paper just because they've been asked to practice social distancing? That's the part that I find funny.
                              Rumors (shelter in place, lockdown, martial law) are driving this panic. See other Covid thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X