No announcement yet.

Palo Duro Canyon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you haven't made reservations yet rest assured you'll be going when it's hot.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good question tpack, I need to get back up that way again. I recently finished reading a book about Quanah Parker, and he sure knew his way around Palo Duro Canyon. Thanks to those who posted this information.

Comment

Green Chile Willy's Grill north of Canyon had great chicken fried steaks with jalapeno gravy last time I ate there.

Comment

All I can add is it is a BEAUTIFUL & Awe inspiring place.

Comment

Check for fire regs. Once we camped there and couldn't cook outside even with gas.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              Check for fire regs. Once we camped there and couldn't cook outside even with gas.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
              We do not plan on camping. Good advice though.

Comment

Ok, I feel like I can chime in on this one, as my dad still lives in Sunday canyon, a part of PDC...

Inside the park, first and foremost, if you are gonna do any hiking, take plenty of water, it gets hot down in the bottom. One good hike is the lighthouse trail around 5-6 miles round trip, our you can explore a couple of “caves” that are down there... one you can see from the road, the other you have to hike just a little bit to get to.

As far as food in the area I’m not as sure on... but I would go to coyote bluff is 100/100 before I went to the big Texan. Green chili willies mentioned above is pretty good as well

Comment

Originally posted by klooney View Post
                  Ok, I feel like I can chime in on this one, as my dad still lives in Sunday canyon, a part of PDC...

Inside the park, first and foremost, if you are gonna do any hiking, take plenty of water, it gets hot down in the bottom. One good hike is the lighthouse trail around 5-6 miles round trip, our you can explore a couple of “caves” that are down there... one you can see from the road, the other you have to hike just a little bit to get to.

As far as food in the area I’m not as sure on... but I would go to coyote bluff is 100/100 before I went to the big Texan. Green chili willies mentioned above is pretty good as well
                  agreed, Big Texan was worth seeing but the food was not impressive.

there was some kind of specialized water\tea\beverage place we went to in Amarillo. it was not a drive through. but the line was out the door. it was on the main highway coming in from Canyon to Amarillo. i was on vacation with the family and letting them choose what and where we went. it was called Texas Tea or HteaO. it was actually really good. if you are spending a few days up there there's plenty to do.

Canyon was the politest town i think i have ever been. lots of hellos and have a blessed days. it was kind of strange actually, but i liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by W E H View Post
                    agreed, Big Texan was worth seeing but the food was not impressive.

there was some kind of specialized water\tea\beverage place we went to in Amarillo. it was not a drive through. but the line was out the door. it was on the main highway coming in from Canyon to Amarillo. i was on vacation with the family and letting them choose what and where we went. it was called Texas Tea or HteaO. it was actually really good. if you are spending a few days up there there's plenty to do.

Canyon was the politest town i think i have ever been. lots of hellos and have a blessed days. it was kind of strange actually, but i liked it.
                    The last part is a panhandle thing I guess! We live down around Austin now, and that’s where my kids have mostly grown up... they make fun of me because I can’t go anywhere without making a new friend

Comment

Yeah, I always find it weird when I go somewhere where people aren't friendly.

Comment

We were in Canyon last weekend and tried Tylers BBQ. It was worth the stop.

Comment

We are there right now well we went to caprock state park and are staying in turkey at their hotel. Neat place cold beer live music. It was a little warm and it was only 80 i would not want to hike it in the summer. We plan on going to big tex tomorrow and then hit up palo duro canyon tue. Should be fun if anything like cap rock it will be great

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Wellborn Papa View Post
                            If you go after June 1, make sure to see the musical "Texas" in Palo Duro Canyon State Park. The Panhandle Plains Historical Museum in Canyon is good for both young and old.
                            I went and saw “Texas” as a teen maybe a few years ago and still remember it. It’s recommended

Comment

Originally posted by Jaycar85 View Post
                              We are there right now well we went to caprock state park and are staying in turkey at their hotel. Neat place cold beer live music. It was a little warm and it was only 80 i would not want to hike it in the summer. We plan on going to big tex tomorrow and then hit up palo duro canyon tue. Should be fun if anything like cap rock it will be great

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
                              Cool pics of that awesome country Jaycar85. You and your hiking buddy have a good time at Palo Duro Canyon.

Comment

Charles and Mary Ann Goodnight Ranch State Historic Site
                                Goodnight Ranch HouseGoodnight Ranch Statue
                                4989 CR 25
                                Goodnight, TX 79226
                                806-944-5591
                                goodnight-ranch@thc.texas.gov

You might be driving near this place. Quanah Parker ate in the dining room. Check for hours and tour times.

Comment

Working...
                                X