PSA: Watch for bicycle riders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
    As a cyclist I'll keep my mouth shut but some of these remarks are unreal.
    The remarks are the truth. Bikes impede traffic going well below the speed limit which is illegal for a car to to but somehow ok for a bike. I see them constantly running stop signs around here like they aren't even there.

Like the story above my grandfather hit 2 on a small fm road when he came around the corner with a loaded stock trailer there what do you know 2 riders in the middle of the road and no way he could get stopped. Took him a long time to get over that and he didn't hardly want to haul is cows anymore.

There's miles and miles of roads around here with bike lanes yet they choose to come ride on the unsafe small cr roads.

Comment

Please do not think I am against cycling or cyclist, I’m just wanting people to be more aware there are more on the roads right now probably due to the weather. I do not want anyone to experience the tragedy we went through. Stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
        Austin has the East side of Ladybird Lake that has a pave trail behind Kreig Field that connects to Guerro Park that ends up in Manor area. There and back is about 60 miles. Just did one in Hattisburg Ms that was 66 miles long. Not sure where you ride but if you look there are options

Looks like Benbrook Lake Trail in your area is 29 miles and change. Ride it 2-3 times.

Just google your area and plenty of resources- Call your cycle shop- ask some of your friends that ride. You ride so you know there are plenty of folks that dont ride on roadways with cars- you also know people hurt or worse Im sure. Im not saying its right but if you want to ride safely you will have to transport and be inconvenienced
        I know where the trails are but trying to ride a bike 20+ mph on a trail with people walking their dogs on a leash is kinda like driving a car on a road with cyclist.

Comment

7s - ive never tried around Metromess area but if you ask your cycle shop they will know of a place or two within an hour transport Im willing to bet - like i said it aint right but its a choice. And i understand if those are crowded- Ladybird is crowded so Input in behind Kreig Field. I may pass a dozen walkers in an hour ride- And id rather have a wreck with someones labador than a F250- Lugnut theory. F250 has more than I. Me and the walker or lab are equal in mass
          Last edited by glen; 04-16-2021, 10:40 AM.

Comment

I ride 4 days/wk and have flashing lights front and rear plus a day-glo orange vest and a flasher on the helmet.

In the past 10 months, motorists for the most part are careful and considerate. We make sure we ride in single file in traffic, unlike the dummies between San Marcos and Wimberley who take up the whole lane. Sure gets your heart pounding when you hop a hill and find your lane filled with bikes. Gets them going when they hear squealing brakes and sliding tires behind them too.

Comment

The small potholed, shoulder-less CR with bike riders make zero sense to me. Hauling trailers or just driving period you usually end up on a cyclist behind a blind curve or hill. Scares the crap out of me. Seems like those guys/gals have a death wish. If you are going to ride ride were visibility and ROOM is in abundance. I had a cyclist run into my truck, basically side swiped me knocked my side view mirror off as I was stopped at a red light. We pulled into the gas station parking lot exchanged info. Of course bicycles are not required to have insurance or pay taxes on the road they ride on. I contacted my insurance uninsured motorists filed a claim and my insurance picked up the $1400 in damage for paint, dent, and mirror repair/replacement. Still ticks me off. The laws and rules are lop sided. Not saying all cyclists are the devil. But, a lot of them seem to be entitled. If I have to pay taxes to drive my vehicle on the road in the form of registration, and carry insurance, they need to be held in the same regard. If my insurance did not pick up the tab (minus deductible) I would have been stuck repairing my vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                The small potholed, shoulder-less CR with bike riders make zero sense to me. Hauling trailers or just driving period you usually end up on a cyclist behind a blind curve or hill. Scares the crap out of me. Seems like those guys/gals have a death wish. If you are going to ride ride were visibility and ROOM is in abundance. I had a cyclist run into my truck, basically side swiped me knocked my side view mirror off as I was stopped at a red light. We pulled into the gas station parking lot exchanged info. Of course bicycles are not required to have insurance or pay taxes on the road they ride on. I contacted my insurance uninsured motorists filed a claim and my insurance picked up the $1400 in damage for paint, dent, and mirror repair/replacement. Still ticks me off. The laws and rules are lop sided. Not saying all cyclists are the devil. But, a lot of them seem to be entitled. If I have to pay taxes to drive my vehicle on the road in the form of registration, and carry insurance, they need to be held in the same regard. If my insurance did not pick up the tab (minus deductible) I would have been stuck repairing my vehicle.
                Bob if that had been me my home owners insurance would have fixed your truck I believe and I will tell you I pay just as much taxes as you do if not more.

Comment

Bob if that had been me my home owners insurance would have fixed your truck I believe and I will tell you I pay just as much taxes as you do if not more.
                  I just had a bad run in literally.... with a bad apple. I will never be ok with cyclist on the narrow blind curved CR's just to nerve racking. Safe cycling for you!

Comment

I know where the trails are but trying to ride a bike 20+ mph on a trail with people walking their dogs on a leash is kinda like driving a car on a road with cyclist.
                    Somehow I dont believe you are an example of the type of bikers that pizz of automobiles and give others a bad rap.

Comment

This is always a big argument between bicyclists who have the right to ride way under the speed limit on roads with no shoulder designed for automobile traffic and everybody else. The bicyclists always want the drivers to be happy to line up in a big slow moving traffic jam behind the bicycle in order for the bike rider to enjoy a safe ride. It's the equivalent of the argument about masks where the maskers want everyone else to wear a mask so that the masker can feel safer.

I enjoy riding a bicycle too. I don't do it much any more. But I enjoy it. It's great exercise, and it's fun to be outside. But I've never been one to expect everyone else to inconvenience themselves in order for me to enjoy my hobby. When I did ride, I always made sure I only rode on roads that had shoulders where I could be safely out of the way of the drivers who also had a right as well as a reasonable expectation to drive down the road without getting stuck behind a slow-moving bicycle. I didn't want to create a danger of being ran over, and I didn't want to create added danger of people needing/wanting to pass me in unsafe places.

Rights are one thing. Responsibility is another. And good ol' fashioned common courtesy goes both ways. Bikes on narrow roads are just a bad idea.

Comment

We try not to, matter of fact most have started riding gravel roads to get away from the traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have had friends lose battles with autos.

Their is no way those two should share a road.

Wish all roads had a bike lane but they don’t.

BP

Comment

Certainly was not trying to be that guy, I just know that with the number of texting and driving accidents these days, it’s a matter of when not if. That’s why I stopped riding motorcycles, I trusted my riding, just not the idiots looking down in their laps 90% of their commute!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cyclist are a huge problem here between sisterdale and Fredericksburg, two lanes blind curves, lots of hilly terrain, scary to come around a hill with a trailer and have some guy doing 5-15 mph and having traffic in the other direction and avoid the cycle, my family has had the unfortunate experience many times to be the first on the scene and try to summon a 1st response team, it’s really sobering to find a dead or permanently broken bicyclist or motorcyclist lying in the middle of the road or in the ditch .
                              Lots of winery visiting tourists doesn’t help ether,
                              Our neighbor had to serve 5 years in TDCJ for hitting a bicycle rider after having a couple of beers on a blind curve, very sad for both parties
                              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 04-16-2021, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the good push, Unclebubba.

Bicycle sales were off the charts last year with folks looking to outdoor exercise away from others.
                                And now with spring, tons of folks that got fat over winter are hitting the roads and trails trying to get in shape.

It’s getting crowded everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X