Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-23-2020, 05:11 PM   #1
Huntingfool
Eight Point

Default PSA on 4 wheelers and kids

The other thread about the 3 wheeler reminded me - this past week two youngsters from Taylor Texas area were both killed while riding two different 4 wheelers. I am from Taylor - guy I grew up with died a couple of years ago flipping one and prior to that another Taylor youngster died on a 4 wheeler. Please understand you can die on one of these and please do not let youngsters on them by themselves.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/will...-over-weekend/
Huntingfool is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2020, 05:25 PM   #2
kae006
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Wyoming

That's horrible, I wonder if they were wearing helmets. Someone posted on here a couple weeks ago about getting his kid a dirt bike and posted a video of him riding it for the first time with no helmet, made me cringe but I didn't want to be "that guy". Thoughts go out to their family and friends, as well as those of the surviving teen.
kae006 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2020, 05:55 PM   #3
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

My kid stuck a branch through his leg when 4 bags of corn shifted when he was riding. I imagine he was riding like a jackwad also. Plenty dangerous. Sold 4 wheeler. We go in truck now
glen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2020, 06:02 PM   #4
LivinADream
Ten Point

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

had a 4 wheeler most of my life. most friends did as well. my nickname was "little red riding helmet" (had a big red helmet) I hated that stupid helmet, my kids will wear one if they get a 4 wheeler.
LivinADream is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2020, 08:52 AM   #5
Wampuscat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Diboll, TX

We had a guy wreck his 4-wheeler on a west Texas lease and break his leg. He was out there alone and had no phone signal. He couldn't get out and died of exposure. That would be a horrible way to go. Something to think on.
Wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2020, 09:23 AM   #6
Blank
Eight Point

Hunt In: Entire Mountain West, South Texas

A friend rolled his 4 wheeler over himself on a late hunt in Montana a few years back. Crushed some ribs and broke his pelvis, no cell coverage and slayed there for about an hour. Finally drug himself onto the machine and slowly drove back to truck. Took another hour to fall off it, drag himself to truck, and get in. Able to drive out to highway and pass out where someone found him and got him to ER. No thanks, hate this things.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2020, 09:46 AM   #7
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Prayers up for the families
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #8
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

The machines aren’t the problem — it is the drivers. And some friends from Fairfield have a son in the hospital with a concussion and broken arm from yesterday’s crash.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #9
Ungawa
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampasas County

From my understanding the accident that occurred outside of Taylor was a Polaris Ranger, none the less dead is dead. This is going to alter the lives of all involved for the rest of their lives. So sad. Really good kids from really good families.
Ungawa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2020, 11:38 AM   #10
TacticalCowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
The machines aren’t the problem — it is the drivers. And some friends from Fairfield have a son in the hospital with a concussion and broken arm from yesterday’s crash.
Yep. I rolled one over the top of me when I was 13 or 14. Broke my nose and still got a scar on my eyebrow. I was in first gear. I don’t do dumb stuff on them anymore, and I’m on one for work, alone, at least a couple times a week.

I hate that anyone died while operating one, but 99% of the time an accident occurs it is the fault of the driver.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2020, 03:58 PM   #11
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

I took a life flight ride with my 13 year old daughter once. Scariest day of my life so far. They can sure be dangerous, but a helmet would have saved her the ride and me the heartache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2020, 04:55 PM   #12
chehunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County/ NM

Just had 1 of my son's friends life flighted to Houston today. She flipped a ranger and tore her foot up. Seems to be ok, but are checking for internal issues.
chehunt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2020, 11:54 PM   #13
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

A million ways to go when it's your time it's your time.
Are you can do is minimize the risk

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2020, 12:08 AM   #14
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Yall be careful on these things, especially kids.

I almost drown when I was a kid, came over a ditch I loved to jump and it had a river flowing in it. I hit it hard and wheeler flipped and turned sideways pinning me underneath. Nobody knew where I was (at 6k acre deer lease in the summer). I was pinned probably 20 minutes and just couldn't hold my head up anymore, started taking deep breaths and letting my head go under just to let my neck muscles rest. Pretty much given up when the water seemed to rise and pickup speed and I felt the wheeler shift just a little and was able to yank my legs out from under. I had some pretty bag burns from the engine sitting on my legs.

Son's girlfriend rolled one of ours on the island coupke years ago, concussed to the point she had no idea who anyone was or where she was at for about half an hour. She thought she might have known my son from work but couldn't remember where she worked. It was weird and scary.
justletmein is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2020, 12:17 AM   #15
KyleW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gordon TX

I bought a four wheeler with a bent frame from an older couple once - the lady was riding it around their property like she always does and took a corner a little too quick, throwing her and the four wheeler into their metal fence. She had to be Careflighted off the property. Sad deal but shows it can happen to anyone, no matter what the age.
KyleW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2020, 05:14 AM   #16
fbchunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Thompsons

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Yall be careful on these things, especially kids.

I almost drown when I was a kid, came over a ditch I loved to jump and it had a river flowing in it. I hit it hard and wheeler flipped and turned sideways pinning me underneath. Nobody knew where I was (at 6k acre deer lease in the summer). I was pinned probably 20 minutes and just couldn't hold my head up anymore, started taking deep breaths and letting my head go under just to let my neck muscles rest. Pretty much given up when the water seemed to rise and pickup speed and I felt the wheeler shift just a little and was able to yank my legs out from under. I had some pretty bag burns from the engine sitting on my legs.

Son's girlfriend rolled one of ours on the island coupke years ago, concussed to the point she had no idea who anyone was or where she was at for about half an hour. She thought she might have known my son from work but couldn't remember where she worked. It was weird and scary.
Had a similar experience getting pinned under a 3 wheeler riding with a cousin who was driving. I remember coming in and out, gas in my ears and face trying to keep my head above water while my cousin ran to get help. It was pretty scary
fbchunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2020, 05:31 AM   #17
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

My Brother in Law is an orthopedic surgeon at Scott and White. Said he wont allow his kids near one. Said 4 wheeler/ATV are the number one life changer he sees working ER. Said paralyzed or kids killed is a life changer obviously. Said it's not work the risk and you cant safelyput a child in charge of such a powerful machine.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2020, 05:48 AM   #18
HeyMikey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria County & South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
This right here. They're machines; not toys, and if not treated as such, injury/death is waiting for you, just around the corner.
HeyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2020, 06:31 AM   #19
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

My cousin got killed on new years a few years ago I
On a 4 wheeler.. he was drinking and hit a culvert .. my youngest got on the rhino when my wife wasn't looking . He was 5 .. he was unconscious and had a brain bleed.. after that I started taking the keys out of it.
They are a tool and should be treated as such.. people treat them like toys to often..
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2020, 07:15 AM   #20
locolobo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

Can't trust kids on 4 wheelers/utv's unsupervised! They do stupid &%^#. My first 4 wheeler was a 250 Honda and that thing was small and pretty fast. Grandson liked to "catch air" on it despite me insisting on keeping it on the ground. Finally had to ban him from it.
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2020, 07:18 AM   #21
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine

When your young, 4 wheelers + young=speed. When your an adult, alcohol + atvs= stupidity! They definitely have to be respected and driven responsibly. It's not just teenagers though. Lots of adults like to drink and party and ride and that equals tragedy far too many times!
hogslayer78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2020, 08:51 AM   #22
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

I did some stupid things on 4wheelers when i was in middle school/high school. I should be dead. Not sure i will trust my son like my dad trusted me.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2020, 09:02 AM   #23
Pistol
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Outside

Just the other day 3 kids went by on our paved county road - two one 4 wheelers and one on a dirt bike. No helmet on any of them. About 20 minutes later they went back by, but one had his 4 wheeler front end pulled up so he was riding on the back wheels. People drive down this road at 60 mph all the time. It is only 2 miles long and has 4 speed limit signs up - 30 mph. Could only imagine what if a car came over the hill at 60 when this kid was hot-dogging his 4 wheeler.
Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top