Digital scale/dispenser reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digital scale/dispenser reviews

I’ve always had pretty good luck with digital reloading scales. I got a good five years out of my first RCBS. When it finally bit the dust I replaced it with a Lyman and it’s been pretty good over the last six years. Last year I started to notice some spread in weights outside my allowable variation (I still verify with a beam). I’m looking to get another but reviews on most models are all over the place online. I’m open to just a scale but would consider upgrading to a dispenser/scale if the performance is there.

What say my fellow reloaders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by muddyfuzzy; 06-22-2019, 10:24 AM.

I have been using a RCBS Chargemaster the past few years. I am really happy with it. There are other options that are more accurate, but I cant see the need for them unless you are seriously competing. They cost a bunch more also.

Comment

I never got into them & couldn't see a reason to measure every round for my applications...I put my money into a really good measure. Once I have my load dialed in, just mark the clicks.

Comment

I've been using the RCBS Chargemaster for about 10 years. It usually throws consistently right on weight. Maybe one charge in 20 is off by ,1 grain but if you let it settle it will show on the display. I only use it for rifle loads. It is setup beside my loading press. So while it is throwing the next load I am seating a bullet.

I had a Dillon scale that worked well until I put it in storage with the batteries installed and they ate the PC board. To set the powder measure on my 650 for pistol loads I throw 10 charges and then tweak the powder measure to adjust. If you are not confident in your scale get a set of Lyman check weights.
        Last edited by kmitchl; 06-22-2019, 10:54 AM.

Comment

No complaints really with my chargemaster it’s been going 6-8 years.

Comment

I've had good luck with the RCBS scales and Chargemaster. I didn't like the Chargemaster until I did some modifications. You can program it to your liking. I also made an insert that helped its accuracy. It was way too slow as it came from the factory.

Electronic scales usually need to warm up before you start using them. I solve that by leaving them plugged in at all times. This will also help them last longer. Electronics usually fail from corrosion caused by moisture. Leaving them plugged in provides a little heat to prevent parts from getting corroded. Some of mine are 10+ years old and still working fine. Always use check weights to make sure. One other factor also is how "clean" your electrical supply happens to be. Fluorescent lighting can also effect electronic scales.

Powder measures are great if you are using a powder that flows freely. They are not accurate if it doesn't. Stick powders don't do well in powder measures. Ball powders work great.

Comment

I have the Hornady.....it is sooooooooooo sloooooooooooow. Not kidding absolutely no savings in time over manual trickler and scale and very finicky.

Comment

I have the Hornady Auto Charge and have no complaints about it. Took a little while to figure it out but has greatly increased my reloading speed. Charges have been accurate as long as I let it warm up.

Comment

Appreciate it guys, the Chargemaster is the unit I have been eye balling.

Comment

I wouldn't mind having one, but when loading for rifle accuracy I would still verify with a beam scale. I'm still a throw short and trickle up guy. I have a little Hornady digital, and it is accurate when you drop something on it, it doesn't work well for trickling, too slow to read, while I can see the difference in each granule dropped with the 1010.
                    Now for loading pistol with spherical ball powder, I drop 10 to check consistency, and check every 10th or so as I load. I don't make advertised speed with my Dillon 650, but still comfortably get 350 to 400 an hour doing .45 acp.

Comment

I will second what M16 said about adjusting the programming and I put a whataburger straw in mine and cut it a certain way to help the accuracy while it’s throwing powder. You can find videos of how to do it.

I always leave mine on also, so I don’t worry about warm up. Another thing is I don’t run my ceiling fan and i shut the AC vent in my room while I’m using it. It can make a difference. I haven’t had trouble with it driving yet.

Comment

I've got the A&D FX 120i with auto trickler with all the area 419 upgrades. Just installed the V3 electronics which gives it ability to be controlled from bluetooth phone. I've got 2 RCBS Chargemasters that have set pretty much unused since buying it. For speed and accuracy (0.02 grains) only the Prometheus (0.009 grains) is in same league and it's $5000 to own one of them. $3500 for 10 year lease.

https://www.autotrickler.com/autotrickler.html

Comment

I have been using the RCBS Chargemaster combo for a number of years and love it. I live in a dry climate, have my reloading bench set up in my garage and have never had an issue. Personally, I would not want to go back to measuring on a beam scale.

Comment

there are a few things you can do with the Chargemaster to get better use from it. The inserts help a lot and are better than the McDonalds straw trick. You can also reprogram it so the initial drop rate is faster and still get accurate throws, with those 2 changes you generally get better results.

I have had a Hornady and it worked ok but had lots of overthrows to deal with after using it about a year. I threw it out when drift was getting real bad and replaced it with a Chargemaster.

As far as good electronic scales Gempro are very good.

When and if I upgrade from the chargemaster I will see what is available then but if I have to repalce it any time soon it will most likely be with a https://www.autotrickler.com/autotrickler.html

Comment

Been using the chargemaster for several years with minimal issues. The brass insert and reprogramming the throw speed made a good difference.

Been thinking about upgrading to the auto trickler and getting rid of the chargemaster, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet

Comment

Working...
                              X