Long Range Rifle Match Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Range Rifle Match Advice

So I’ve decided that I want to see what long range competition is really like. I am planning to sign up for one of the monthly matches with North Texas Multigun. I feel like I have a couple of rifles that are accurate enough to make it through, but I am not expecting to be super competitive. I’m more interested in seeing what I can do now and what I should be working to improve.

Does anyone shoot in these monthly matches at Triple C Range out in Cresson? Are there any suggestions on gear that is absolutely necessary or really nice to have that makes a big difference in a match? Any intel or advice is greatly appreciated!

Is that a shoot and move COF like PRS, or prone with single/multiple targets?

Comment

Their decription online sounds like a PRS style match.

Comment

Check out these guys for an idea of what you may like in bags, sling, range cards, etc. Do you already have a ballistic computer (could be as simple as a phone app, as long as your MV is on point) and good laser range finder?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Also, if you do not have the two round holder velcroed to the side of your rifle yet the PRS guys will not let you play! [emoji1787][emoji1787]

That COF sounds and looks fun, if I was 20 years younger! My knees say shoot F class only and my back is good with anything prone.

Comment

That match looks fun! 45 bucks entry is not bad at all.

Comment

Yep it sounds like a lot of fun so I decided to take the plunge with what I’ve got. I’ve been using a ballistic app for a couple of years now with good data in it. I’ve got a good rangefinder, spotting scope, sling and even a tripod I can set up to shoot off of if needed. I guess I’ll need to look for the two round holder so they will let me in!

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                Also, if you do not have the two round holder velcroed to the side of your rifle yet the PRS guys will not let you play! [emoji1787][emoji1787]

That COF sounds and looks fun, if I was 20 years younger! My knees say shoot F class only and my back is good with anything prone.

Hey now! There have been at least 2 coyotes and two hogs that have fallen victim to that two round holder that I can account for

Comment

Originally posted by Rswan13 View Post
                  So I’ve decided that I want to see what long range competition is really like. I am planning to sign up for one of the monthly matches with North Texas Multigun. I feel like I have a couple of rifles that are accurate enough to make it through, but I am not expecting to be super competitive. I’m more interested in seeing what I can do now and what I should be working to improve.

Does anyone shoot in these monthly matches at Triple C Range out in Cresson? Are there any suggestions on gear that is absolutely necessary or really nice to have that makes a big difference in a match? Any intel or advice is greatly appreciated!
                  We have shot that match a couple times. It is a great place to get your feet wet in the PRS pool. You'll have plenty of help and support from the folks you'll likely be shooting with. If I could suggest 2 pieces of gear, it would be a "game changer" bag or one of the variants like it and a wrist coach or data card to write your DOPE on for each stage. You'll use both on almost every stage. I wouldn't buy a bunch of gear until after you shoot a match or two and figure out what works best for you. You'll probably get to see/try a bunch of different bag/support options from folks in your squad which will help you figure out what, if anything you really need moving forward.

Comment

Oh....... and some stages will probably require a mag change, so be sure to have an extra. And unless something has changed, they will have a pistol stage or two involved every other month.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                      Hey now! There have been at least 2 coyotes and two hogs that have fallen victim to that two round holder that I can account for
                      Lol, I have them just have not brought myself to slap them on!

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                        Oh....... and some stages will probably require a mag change, so be sure to have an extra. And unless something has changed, they will have a pistol stage or two involved every other month.
                        That’s good to know. I’ll make sure to pack my pistol bag as well. Thanks!

Comment

I am shooting it on the 27th. You are welcome to squad with me and Ill let you use anything I have including bipods, tripods, gamechanger, and wind calls. No pistols anymore for some reason - enough people complained that they aren't included much anymore.
                          I ended up winning last months shoot and hope to get a good practice in before the Navasota match.

Comment

Man that is an awesome gesture and I wish I could take you up on it. Unfortunately, I have to shoot on Sunday due to some family obligations on Saturday. Good luck to you though. I'm taking Friday off to get a little practice session in so I can verify as much dope as possible before the match.

Comment

Originally posted by Rswan13 View Post
                              Man that is an awesome gesture and I wish I could take you up on it. Unfortunately, I have to shoot on Sunday due to some family obligations on Saturday. Good luck to you though. I'm taking Friday off to get a little practice session in so I can verify as much dope as possible before the match.
                              Well, unfortunately they are only shooting it Saturday the 27th this month.

Comment

Working...
                              X